AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

· Registered
5,786 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am a complete newbie to CRT projectors looking for some advice.... (I do have a LCD projector so Im not new to them just CRT PJ's..)

Anyways, my brother got a barco data 600 off ebay and when he brought it home we were suprised to find the guns didnt fire when we tried to send the test patterns to the projector. This PJ only has bnc connectors so he bought a VGA-> BNC cable so we could see if it was just in a "sleep" mode or something... Anyways the VGA hooked to my laptop wont fire either but there is a signal on the laptop or I wouldnt be able to turn on the VGA OUT on my laptop.

Is there a special procedure or maybe a button I am missing? There are lights on inside the projector (led's) but the guns wont fire....

· Registered
445 Posts
yer gonna need either a RCVDS 400 switcher, or what many refer to as a "little white box" with little knobs and switches on it that attaches to that 9-pin (?) socket next to the BNC's. I had a pic somewhere of one. Will look for it later and post a link to it.

Either item shows up on Ebay now and then.

- Chris

· Registered
445 Posts
That's it!

Found my picture of the little white box, but need to upload it to webspace and haven't re-installed my software for that yet. They usually go for around $50 - $70. I have one, but I need it.

You'll have to do a search for what these external things do, other than allow a signal to pass (though they can control things like brightness, contrast, etc.)

- Chris

· Registered
968 Posts
Does the projector even make electrical noise like its powering up when you press the power switch? Does it sound like high voltage is building up with little static sounding crackling noises around the tubes? I think you should be hearing that even if you don't get a picture.

Next, I don't think a laptop is going to work directly into the BNC inputs on a BD600, but someone else might know better. The sync from computers is normally the wrong polarity for these projectors. I usually use an Extron 109 Plus to correct the polarity. Maybe someone that knows the BD600 better could comment on this?

Mark

· Registered
3,137 Posts
You have to make sure that you have negative sync from the source.

You can download powerstrip from www.entechtaiwan.com

This will enable you to set sync as negative.

Nicholas

· Registered
18,489 Posts
I have one of those boxes for sale if you need one. It has the brightness and contrast controls etc on it, so without those the pix will not appear.

Also, check under the cover by the focus controls for the yellow and red lights. The red should be off, if it's on, then you have a circuit problem within the set and that will hae to be repaired before you get a pix. If all the yellow lights are on and the red one is off, then you're fine and all you need is that little control box.

Curt

· Registered
5,786 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by Cousin.It
Does the projector even make electrical noise like its powering up when you press the power switch? Does it sound like high voltage is building up with little static sounding crackling noises around the tubes? I think you should be hearing that even if you don't get a picture.

Next, I don't think a laptop is going to work directly into the BNC inputs on a BD600, but someone else might know better. The sync from computers is normally the wrong polarity for these projectors. I usually use an Extron 109 Plus to correct the polarity. Maybe someone that knows the BD600 better could comment on this?

Mark
Yes the projector is making the high pitched sound when I turn it on and some lights come on...

As for the red and yellow light the red one is on and there is one yellow not on as well but all the other yellows are on... How much does it usually cost to get one of these things repaired? Ill take a pic and upload it tomorrow so you can make sure Im looking at the right thing...

· Registered
445 Posts
If the red light is on, then you have a problem, and I have just two words for you........

ROAD TRIP!!!

Mark (Cousin.it), is about a 2 or 3 hour drive from you, and he knows Barco's (he's a 'Barco-Nut'). Ask him if he has spare boards to swap out, and either a RCVDS 40 quad or 'little white box.'

-Chris

· Registered
445 Posts
Go up about 5 posts to where you see Cousin.It's post and click on the PM icon next to PROFILE. Make sure in your own profile settings that your PM's are on so you can see if he responds.

As far as ordering parts.....you don't want to know what Barco charges for parts for ANY of their projectors! Anyway, I doubt they would have any for that dinosaur. Which brings me to another point: Don't plan on spending too much time and/or money with that thing. It's an old analog chassis that's capable of very mediocre performance at best (e.g., line-doubling only, and not very bright). In addition, if you DO get it fixed and working....plan on it not going too long before something else fails (I know, there are 6 BD600's sitting in my garage in various states of non-functioning, #7 works).

Before long, you may as well have spent a little more money on something better (though almost everything under 1 - 2 grand will likely suffer some sort of failure within a year). But, ya never know....it's like buying a used car, it's a gamble.

Used parts are all over the place. If Mark doesn't have what it appears to need, send me a PM.

- Chris

· Registered
5,786 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thats what I told my brother and told him to just put down the cash like me and get an AE100 (or something similar) but hes stubborn and thought it would be cheaper this way... ;)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.