AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A friend of mine is having some problems with his Barco data 650. Actually it's my previous projector which never gave me any real trouble but now after three months at my friends posession it has stopped working. He was watching a movie when all of a sudden the tubes went black and the red scanfail led lit up. It did the same thing a night before but was okay when he powered the projector down and back up. He told me that he'd been keeping the projector on and tubes off using the three switches on convergence panel for a few hours. Does it stress the electronics too much?

The unit gets HV as the tubes fire up but instantly shuts down. Also there's a glow at the end of each tube. I haven't been able to see the projector myself, but I've tried to help him by phone. Could the problem be SMPS related or maybe something with deflection cards? He's already swapped the horizontal deflection module but no dice.

There's also another problem, he changed the focus module as I gave him a working spare, now it doesn't even get HV as i've understood from what he's saying. Probably he left something out when connecting the spare module.

Has anyone had similar problems with these older barcos? I would be grateful for any information regarding this problem.

·
Registered
18,503 Posts
Are yoiu SURE that the tubes crackle up intitially? Usually the scan fail is there from the start at power up, and the set never gets as far as the HV crackle.

Tell your friend to put the original focus board back into the set. That's most likely not the problem. If the scan fail happened while the set was on, there's a good chance it's simply a bad connection, maybe even the module connections. Reseat all of the boards and try again. If not, disconnect the HV lead and the CRT socket off each tube one at a time and see if he can get two tubes to fire up. If so, that one tube is shorted. That can happen if he set the raster up to shoot off the edge of the tube, and thus cracked the tube.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curt Palme
Are yoiu SURE that the tubes crackle up intitially? Usually the scan fail is there from the start at power up, and the set never gets as far as the HV crackle.

Tell your friend to put the original focus board back into the set. That's most likely not the problem. If the scan fail happened while the set was on, there's a good chance it's simply a bad connection, maybe even the module connections. Reseat all of the boards and try again. If not, disconnect the HV lead and the CRT socket off each tube one at a time and see if he can get two tubes to fire up. If so, that one tube is shorted. That can happen if he set the raster up to shoot off the edge of the tube, and thus cracked the tube.
Ok, thanks Curt. I'll tell him.

He was sure that the HV crackle is there.

I've managed to cause a similar condition before and the cause was that one of the convergence board connectors was loose. But he claimed that he already swapped the convergence board.

He also told me that he got the picture to all three tubes to show for a period of time, but the picture was all shrinked and distorted. Sorry I forgot to mention this before.

·
Registered
18,503 Posts
Oh suuuuuure, bring in the important details after the fact..:)

Sounds like he might hvae a bad V board. Get me the 761XXX part number off it, I might have one.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.