AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
667 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a Barco Data 800 with less than 7000 hours on it and no visible burn. I am driving it with an HTPC at [email protected] The PQ is now where I want it to be. I am easily well inside the phosper. Not even close to the edges. I was installing some plug-ins on my HTPC last night and I heard a "POP" and the CRT tubes shut off. The unit was still on and it didn't go into standby. I then put it in standby and then turned it back on with no further problem. I do not have any kind of monitor shut off enabled through the HTPC so I am assuming the anomaly came from the projector. Is this a warning to a bigger potential problem? What steps can I take to prevent any more expensive damage. Given the specs above I don't believe I am driving this projector too hard. What do you think it could be? Any suggestions would be appreciated. Curt, if your out there, I am ready to listen.

Thanks All,

Dan

·
Registered
667 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Helloooo.......anybodeeee.....out.... there.......???:(

·
Registered
6,833 Posts
Dan,

A pop as you described could be from humidity (moisture) in the air surrounding the projector. It could also be an indication of the high voltage block failing, or it could be a high voltage belch (nothing to be concerned about). I would worry only if it the pop persist...

If the problem do happen to persist try to isolate where it is coming from by removing the cover and turning down the lights and looking at all areas where the red high voltage wires are connected (tubes, etc).

A good preventative fix for that projector would be to solder all connectors on the two transformers on the power supply board. If that has not been done - worry!

·
Registered
667 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I will monitor this further. It has only happened once and I have used the projector quite a bit since then with no other problems. Humidity sounds interesting, I normally run a dehumidifier in the opposing room, but I haven't had it running for a few days. Maybe, that is contributing to the issue. Again thank you all for the advice.

Dan

·
Registered
25 Posts
Hi.

I have a Graphics 800 and had the same symptom a few weeks ago. It happened for the first time (have the BG since January), and not again. I have been told it could have been a flash over inside one tube due to particles. The Barco senses that and shuts of the tubes. That should happen on new tubes more often, and is one of the reasons why new projectors have 100 hours on the counter.

I think it is not to worry about. But it's quite scary when it happens, watching a movie in complete darkness. I was up and switched it off immediatly and cautiously powered on after some minutes, and it worked. Since then I have the cover off, to be able to see the LEDs if it happens again.

But I also have a "real" problem with my Barco, I will start a new thread.

@mp20748: what's the thing with soldering the 2 trafos?

Daniel

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.