AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking to upgrade my Barco data 800 to either a Sony G70 or a Barco data 808s.

Both units have good tubes, but I hear that the colors in the Data 808 are a bit off. Is this noticeable in home cinema use? Which gives the best picture?

·
Registered
2,484 Posts
the colours of the Barco are easily fixed for about $25. So dont let the colour performance put you off.

The big difference is that the G70 is liquid coupled. Beleive me that is where the comparison becomes mute. Given the same price and same tube wear. ( read that as in MINT condition) go the G70.

Go the data 800 if you want to save money. Its way cheaper than the others or should be. If the Sony's tubes are worn DONT BUY IT. The VDC replacements are suspect and the originals are really expensive./

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the input, does anyone have pictures of this machine running? What difference picture wise does liquid coupled versus standard coupling give?

I have heard that the G70 has very loud fans, can it be made to run quietly?

·
Registered
1,646 Posts
The $25 color-fix(rosco-filters) does also have major drawbacks because they arent anti-reflective. They create more and in some cases severe light-bounce and halo-effects.

Go for the G70. It is both liquid-coupled and color-filtered.

Per Johnny

·
Registered
2,484 Posts
In dark scenes the fdifference between LC and not is huge. Small localized halos around pin bright objects on a black background.

If you are not sensitive to this then you probably wont notice.

LC is way better.

The G70 isnt too bad as regards Noise. Not the noisiest but not the quietest either.

·
Registered
2,484 Posts
u r already in the best spot. Do a search on "g70" here and see what comes up

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.