AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,659 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Like Christie, BARCO also has a 6-primary color laser projector demoing for the first time at CinemaCon 2014.

Both companies are using the Dolby 3D advanced color separation technology.

From Press release 24 March 2014; Proud to present our 4K laser-illuminated projector at CinemaCon

We are very proud to introduce our first commercially available 6P laser-illuminated projector at CinemaCon 2014. This laser projector is not only the most compact 60,000-lumen projector available, it is also the first DCI-compliant laser projector that is capable of showing 4K content at 60 fps and 3D movies in full 4K resolution. We will be installing our first 4K commercial laser projectors in the US and China during Q2 and throughout the rest of the world in Q4 2014.

Our laser projector is the most compact 60,000-lumen projector on the market and will set a new standard for image quality in the cinema industry.

10 things you'll love about Barco's laser-illuminated projector

1. A new image standard

By showing stunningly bright and uniform images in crisp detail – and with exceptionally rich colors and eye-popping contrast – the Barco laser projector boosts image quality, radically improving the 3D experience to make it truly astonishing.

2. Forget speckle

Barco’s proprietary technology minimizes image speckle – so, crisp images are guaranteed at all times, even on silver screens!

3. No vibrating screens required

Yes, that’s right! Thanks to our unique de-speckling technology, no extra investments in screen-vibrating systems are required to get the image right.

4. Razor-sharp 4K content at 60 fps

The Barco laser projector is the world’s first laser projector capable of showing 4K content at 60 fps and 3D movies in 4K at these brightness levels.

5. Fully integrated

Designed from the ground up, the Barco laser projector features a fully integrated system architecture with unified laser light sources that are housed within the projector.

6. Bringing 2D light levels to 3D

With a spectacular light output of up to 60,000 lumens, the Barco laser projector enables images to be shown just the way they were pictured by the moviemaker, for truly satisfactory 3D screenings.

7. Premium 3D experience with Barco Laser3D

Thanks to its integrated color 3D system, with 6-Primary (6P) color laser modules, the Barco Laser3D system maximizes 3D efficiency from a single projector, delivering constant and uniform images in excellent contrast, without lamp flicker.

8. Low Total Cost of Ownership

Thanks to the projector’s superior level of optical efficiency, Barco has been able to drive brightness and light levels up, while driving the total cost of ownership down. With solid-state laser technology, you no longer need to replace lamps, and they will no longer explode.

9. 30 years of 3D expertise

With over 30 years of expertise in 3D, Barco knows how to entice moviegoers into the cinema for dazzling 3D adventures they will love to live again.

10. From the digital cinema pioneer and innovator

Guinness World Record holder for the brightest digital cinema projector, and market share leader in digital cinema projection, Barco has been breaking ground in the cinema industry for many years with numerous industry firsts.

·
Registered
1,107 Posts
Cinemark just opened a new "XD" theater in their complex in the Howard Hughes Center in West Los Angeles on April 3rd. I have a strong suspicion that this is the new Barco 6P projector. If it is, it produces a very impressive picture. I saw Captain America in 3D and it was nice and bright. Do you have any idea if this is the case? What do these projectors run? I also think they are using the Auro 11.1 sound system, but haven't confirmed that. The seats are high backed and comfortable. I don't think the definition is quite what I was seeing when it was the IMAX and I saw TDK and TDKR, but I also missed a lot of blockbuster type movies on an IMAX sized screen (don't get me started about the AMC Mini Max theater) because they didn't make a 70mm print.

Do you have any info about this?

·
Registered
1,107 Posts
Also, when they say 3D in full 4K resolution, is that 4K per eye or 2K per eye??

·
Registered
1,659 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by InCali  /t/1524379/barco-demo-first-6-primary-color-4k-laser-projector#post_24583604

Cinemark just opened a new "XD" theater in their complex in the Howard Hughes Center in West Los Angeles on April 3rd. I have a strong suspicion that this is the new Barco 6P projector. If it is, it produces a very impressive picture. I saw Captain America in 3D and it was nice and bright. Do you have any idea if this is the case?
Doubt it.

Barco has only announced Santikos’ Palladium cinema located in San Antonio, Texas and and in three of China's leading cinema chains. and I don't think they have come that far as starting to install any of these.

Quote:
I don't think the definition is quite what I was seeing when it was the IMAX and I saw TDK and TDKR, but I also missed a lot of blockbuster type movies on an IMAX sized screen (don't get me started about the AMC Mini Max theater) because they didn't make a 70mm print.

Do you have any info about this?
Most feature drama are 2K up-converted to 4K. Real IMAX shot 15-perf 70mm will have better definition.

At NAB at the moment RED is running an IMAX film projector with material in 6K shot on Red Dragon camera and printed back to 15-perf 70mm to demonstrate digital camera quality when printed back to film.

Quote:
Originally Posted by InCali  /t/1524379/barco-demo-first-6-primary-color-4k-laser-projector#post_24583889

Also, when they say 3D in full 4K resolution, is that 4K per eye or 2K per eye??
Good question - they often are a little elusive about that - so I don't really know - problem is also, there are no 3D~4K (for each eye) movies.

The Christie laser projector should absolutly be capable of this because it is essentially two projectors in one.

Rapport about the laser projector demos at CinemaCon here; http://www.avsforum.com/t/1524937/just-back-from-cedia-2019#post_24560602

·
Registered
1,107 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolscan  /t/1524379/barco-demo-first-6-primary-color-4k-laser-projector#post_24584324

Doubt it.

Barco has only announced Santikos’ Palladium cinema located in San Antonio, Texas and and in three of China's leading cinema chains. and I don't think they have come that far as starting to install any of these.

Most feature drama are 2K up-converted to 4K. Real IMAX shot 15-perf 70mm will have better definition.

At NAB at the moment RED is running an IMAX film projector with material in 6K shot on Red Dragon camera and printed back to 15-perf 70mm to demonstrate digital camera quality when printed back to film.

Good question - they often are a little elusive about that - so I don't really know - problem is also, there are no 3D~4K (for each eye) movies.

The Christie laser projector should absolutly be capable of this because it is essentially two projectors in one.

Rapport about the laser projector demos at CinemaCon here; http://www.avsforum.com/t/1524937/just-back-from-cedia-2019#post_24560602

The resolution sure looked good. Substantially better than what I saw at the Century City LIEMAX. I'm poking around and hope to find out soon. The reason I thought it might be was that they announced they would be installing the Barco 2nd quarter in US and China and 4th quarter in other locations. 4/4/14 is (early) 2nd quarter and I thought just maybe........

Some of the scenes in CA:TWS were really, really clear and some were a little bit grainy. To be fair, I was in the 3rd row about maybe 25' away from a 75x50' screen (dimentions approximate) so I was really, really close. The screen took up virtually my entire field of view. They also had these cool, sturdy glasses that I believe to be circularly polarized 3D glasses (Real 3D??). I think the difference is the source material.

I want to do a review of the theater (it's actually pretty impressive) and will post when I get more info. I've been talking to Cinemark HQ in Texas and will, hopefully, get more info soon.

·
Registered
1,107 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolscan  /t/1524379/barco-demo-first-6-primary-color-4k-laser-projector#post_24584324

Doubt it.

Thanks for the link. That's interesting stuff. One thing I did notice was this quote near the bottom of the post:

On the other hand, Barco is already installing their solution while Christie says production is planned for Q2 2014. Early units will soon go to undisclosed commercial partners and their first publicly announced install in Seattle is now pushed out to the back half of this year, for reasons that were not related to the projector production.

That's contrary to what I read about Barco installing in the US/China 2nd Q of 2014 and elsewhere in the 4th Q. Am I missing something or????

·
Registered
1,659 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by InCali  /t/1524379/barco-demo-first-6-primary-color-4k-laser-projector#post_24587290

Thanks for the link. That's interesting stuff. One thing I did notice was this quote near the bottom of the post:

On the other hand, Barco is already installing their solution while Christie says production is planned for Q2 2014. Early units will soon go to undisclosed commercial partners and their first publicly announced install in Seattle is now pushed out to the back half of this year, for reasons that were not related to the projector production.

That's contrary to what I read about Barco installing in the US/China 2nd Q of 2014 and elsewhere in the 4th Q. Am I missing something or????

I'm not sure what you mean - the reference to Seattle is about a worlds first Christie install which they announced last year for installing about now, which was intended to be a P-3 laser projector (white-light-mix laser) - seems like they decided to wait with that install until they have the P-6 RGB laser projector manufactured.

·
Registered
1,107 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolscan  /t/1524379/barco-demo-first-6-primary-color-4k-laser-projector#post_24589816

I'm not sure what you mean - the reference to Seattle is about a worlds first Christie install which they announced last year for installing about now, which was intended to be a P-3 laser projector (white-light-mix laser) - seems like they decided to wait with that install until they have the P-6 RGB laser projector manufactured.

The part I was referring to was "On the other hand, Barco is already installing their solution". I guess that wasn't the P6 PJ?? Like I said, they were saying Barco would be installing Q2 of 2014 in US and China and I thought just maybe.....

·
Registered
13,355 Posts
My best friend went to the demo on Monday and was really impressed. He said it was probably the best image he has seen. Grain of salt as he is not a videophile. He said it was really bright and the presenter mentioned that they were only at about 30% brightness.

·
Registered
1,107 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by InCali  /t/1524379/barco-demo-first-6-primary-color-4k-laser-projector#post_24584602

The resolution sure looked good. Substantially better than what I saw at the Century City LIEMAX. I'm poking around and hope to find out soon.

I want to do a review of the theater (it's actually pretty impressive) and will post when I get more info. I've been talking to Cinemark HQ in Texas and will, hopefully, get more info soon.

I wrote up a draft review of the XD theater and, it just so happens, the Cinemark Marketing VP is going to be in town with one of his techie guys. He agreed to set up a time for me to meet with them this week. I'm really looking forward to this and will get as much info as possible. If anyone out there has any questions they'd like me to ask, let me know.

·
Banned
17,607 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ericglo  /t/1524379/barco-demo-first-6-primary-color-4k-laser-projector#post_24592051

My best friend went to the demo on Monday and was really impressed. He said it was probably the best image he has seen. Grain of salt as he is not a videophile. He said it was really bright and the presenter mentioned that they were only at about 30% brightness.
it was a great image in 2D, they had problems with the coatings in the glasses at cinemacon. The screen size could have been bigger. they were using 2k lenses, im wondering if for de-speckle issues. 3d wise the chistie demo beat them hands down. The lack of modularity in barco precludes them from any home cinema.

·
Registered
2,163 Posts
i hear and read most of the reports about this laser pr.

i talk with people that know what a good picture is that see this demo and even more some of them can see as well the pr. and the setup itself.

all say it was the best 3d and the brightest 3d they ever saw.

till today there was a least from Barco not any time table there when we will have this product for sale in europe.

may they wait on till the laser will gets cheaper early next year.

i really like to hear that speckle was at least for the Barco not any problem as I am very sensitive about it but I like to see it first in person before I say “no speckle visible”.also nice is that 4k with 60p is now possible.

even my B32 can get the Input upgrade with the new server and input boards that make 4k 60p possible and 4k 3d in 2x24/25/30p (4k 60p in 3d will be not possible with a single pr. solution)

sad is that there was not any HDMI 2.0 input. seems the Barco have just a HDMI 1.4 Input so 4k 60p is with the HDMI not possible only 30p.

sad is that the pr. have this very high price at the moment and that the cr. not increase a lot compare to the existing 4k dlps.

all this is very very early we will see a lot of improvement’s the next years but is it not fantastic how good the first laser pr. are?

soon we will see almost not any difference between 2d and 3d in brightness with perfect ghosting and perfect colors.

one friend told me when he see native 4k in 3d with this setup

“the picture looks like live viewing a big step up in picture quality almost like a holodeck”!

·
Registered
1,107 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by W.Mayer  /t/1524379/barco-demo-first-6-primary-color-4k-laser-projector#post_24669137

i talk with people that know what a good picture is that see this demo and even more some of them can see as well the pr. and the setup itself.

till today there was a least from Barco not any time table there when we will have this product for sale in europe.

i really like to hear that speckle was at least for the Barco not any problem as I am very sensitive about it but I like to see it first in person before I say “no speckle visible”.also nice is that 4k with 60p is now possible.

even my B32 can get the Input upgrade with the new server and input boards that make 4k 60p possible and 4k 3d in 2x24/25/30p (4k 60p in 3d will be not possible with a single pr. solution)

sad is that there was not any HDMI 2.0 input. seems the Barco have just a HDMI 1.4 Input so 4k 60p is with the HDMI not possible only 30p.

sad is that the pr. have this very high price at the moment and that the cr. not increase a lot compare to the existing 4k dlps.

all this is very very early we will see a lot of improvement’s the next years but is it not fantastic how good the first laser pr. are?

soon we will see almost not any difference between 2d and 3d in brightness with perfect ghosting and perfect colors.

“the picture looks like live viewing a big step up in picture quality almost like a holodeck”!

Yesterday, I spoke with the Cinemark VP of marketing and communications as well as their technical expert (don't know his actual title) and got some info on their possible production release of the 6P projector. At this point, they have one at their facility in Texas and are in the process of testing it before deciding whether or not to put it into production anywhere. That's the official word. There may be some strong inclinations to go one way or the other within Cinemark, but, for good reason, no one wants to talk publicly about inclinations whether they are strong inclinations or not. I'll be doing a full write up on the thread "Cinemark XD comes to The Howard Hughes Center in Los Angeles" that I created last night. I'll be releasing it in chunks (audio, seating, picture quality, etc.) and will have an overall impressions section. I'm doing it this way because I want to do as good a job as possible and want to focus on each aspect, I'm hoping this will make my write up more manageable. I will say this up front; this theater can do 4K 3D projection (for each eye) as they use dual projectors for 3D. I was up in the projection booth, got some pictures, and will go into booth details also.

·
Banned
17,607 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by W.Mayer  /t/1524379/barco-demo-first-6-primary-color-4k-laser-projector#post_24669137

I'll admit that my glasses were defective and the whole theater had clouds of smoke around the image, the weirdest effect ever (that was Infitec/Dolby quality control problem), So did BW see the problem and Taker from here.

Single projector is no good when compared to Christie who besides dual projector 6p has much larger glasses and thus you don't you don't get that nasty color fringing you get with the regular dolby glasses.

The Barco colors were great but the projector is impractical for any home theater, this is the Imax projector chassis. Sizewise : It's a Yugo connected with 6 hoses to a washing machine.

The Chritie and Nec solutions are far more practical. the HFR hobbit on dual projector 6p was a phenomenal viewing experience a single 6p projector cannot recreate.

60fps 4k will be supported via displayport on alchemy. Also doremi has hdmi 2.0 IMS in pipeline for later this year.

·
Registered
4,581 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by CINERAMAX  /t/1524379/barco-demo-first-6-primary-color-4k-laser-projector#post_24668290

The screen size could have been bigger. they were using 2k lenses, im wondering if for de-speckle issues. 3d wise the chistie demo beat them hands down. The lack of modularity in barco precludes them from any home cinema.

So why are you putting it in an Home Theater then?

·
Banned
17,607 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axel Fransberg  /t/1524379/barco-demo-first-6-primary-color-4k-laser-projector#post_24669926

Does the christie projector still require vibrating the screen to de-speckle?

NO for sure. I don't know if vibrating the laser is possible (someone conjectured that).

when they switched sources (and then only) some green speckles popped up for as second then went away. They weren't there with the images at all.

·
Registered
82 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by CINERAMAX  /t/1524379/barco-demo-first-6-primary-color-4k-laser-projector#post_24679655

NO for sure. I don't know if vibrating the laser is possible (someone conjectured that).

when they switched sources (and then only) some green speckles popped up for as second then went away. They weren't there with the images at all.
´

I'm not sure if you understood but at least with their earlier prototypes christie vibrated the screen surface to get rid of speckle.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts