Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Dear all,

Is there a big difference in picture quality between the old and the new "s" model of the 808 graphics from Barco??

I was checking out this website:

http://www.crtcinema.com/barcospecs.html

The biggest difference seems to be the RGB bandwidth...

Apparently the older 808 has a higher price tag, even though its specs are inferior.

How can this be???

·
Registered
2,606 Posts
The BG808 (non-s) model uses MEC tubes, which can be rebuilt by VDC for about $495/tube.

The BG808s model uses Sony tubes, which cannot be rebuilt. New they are ~$1000/tube and they are difficult to source. Most folks tend to stay away from the BG808s these days, unless the tubes are in excellent condition.

When purhcasing a used CRT, tube condition almost entirely drives the price. A machine that has better electronics but worse tubes will almost always fetch a lower price than a machine with lower quality eletronics and better tube condition.

The older 808 may also have just been retubed, given it ~10,000 hours of service time before anything would need to be done to it. The BG808s may not have been retubed recently (may still be on the original tubes).

The BG808 is the best machine in the 808 line IMHO for home theater. Its got the right specs, has lens flapping adjustments (something us BD808 owners don't have), and the tubes can be sourced from VDC for a very low price per tube. The BG808s does not offer anything to an HT user that the BG808 can't offer, but has the higher tube replacement costs.

That spec sheet is wrong btw, the BG808s does not use the 180DVB22 tube.

If you are shopping for a Barco 808, or any other used CRT, you would be wise to check out the resellers that frequent this forum. Curt Palme does quite a few 808's per year it seems, Terry and Tim do quite a few NECs and Ehome machines. Worth your while I think.

·
Registered
3,189 Posts
If I'm not mistaken the "s" model has slightly more adjustments (eg keystone etc for the left side) or was that the data to graphics. Arguably the "s" with the Sony tubes many not have the orange push that the MEC tubes have and thus "better" colors without the use of filters and thus slight loss of light output. I have a BG808s and if my tubes go, I've more than gotten my moneys worth out of them so far. I expect to get another 4000+ hours out of my tubes unless something bad / unexpected happens.

·
Registered
1,646 Posts
The BG808s is a much better projector. It has improved electronics. Rgb amplifiers, power supply, convergence driver++++

Per Johnny

·
Registered
223 Posts
Accordung to the table at
http://www.crtinfo.us.vu/BARCHART808-1.html

the convergence drivers are the same. Additionally, I don't think there's much of a benefit from the increased RGB bandwidth, since that would only show with pixel clocks beyond 150MHz. That's only going to bite you if you go beyond 1280x1024 @ 75 Hz or so. [email protected] is 148.50 MHz, so it may help there, but I'd be more worried about beam spot size.

·
Registered
4,916 Posts
The 808S will focus up better than the 808 and produce a sharper picture. I also think the colors are a bit better.

Terry

·
Registered
1,646 Posts
To put it in other terms. The 808s throws a more detailed, more noise-free and sharper picture than the BG808 with better colors. Rgb-amplifiers isnt all about bandwidth, it is how the peform thats count. The new amplifiers are simply much better. As for the comparison chart. Yes, many of the boards are interchangeable between them, but that dont mean that there isnt made improvements in newer revisions for the 808s.

Per Johnny

·
Registered
7,137 Posts
If you're an electronics tinkerer, the 808s is harder to work on as they've replaced most of the discrete components with surface mount devices (SMD's).

I'd also go as far to say that the difference between an 808 and 808s will only be visible if (a) you use a good source like an HTPC, and (b) you do a good job setting up the unit.

It's very easy for a pro to a make an 808 look better then an 808s set up by a novice.

808s parts are also harder to come by as there are less units out there amongst the technicians and hobbiests like ourselves.

Kal

·
Registered
548 Posts
I will put in my vote for the 808s. I don't have any 808 experience, but my 808s has a very sharp desktop at 1024 by 768, and I cannot believe how stable the convergence is. I don't see a red push on any images, and the colors are out of this world.

I just hope I don't have to change a tube. That would $uck....

-Garrick

·
Registered
476 Posts
Hi

It's a nobrainer go for the Graphics 808s its alot better then the 808 and the Data 808s.

Rob

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.