AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I picked up a Barco Graphics 808s about 4 years ago, it originally came from i believe some type of business enviroment and i picked it up from a warehouse. The unit had ~7800 hours (i can't remember the exact number but it was around there) displayed for RunTime when i first fired it up. Now the unit has 10484 hours on it.

I pulled off the lenses the other day to clean dust out and check the crt faces, and was surprised to find that there is really barely any wear at all, in fact i could only make out a small amount on the blue tube but everything else looks really good. I checked the tubes serial numbers and it matches all the boards in the unit so i dont think they were replaced. Just wanted to know is this normal? I have a total light controlled room, and to get a great picture i have the contrast at around ~75-78 and the brightness around ~35.

Here is a picture of the CRT faces when the unit is off.

http://www.headofmyhead.com/car/Barco_CRTs_Off.jpg

Also, i have some issues going on the the tubes i wanted to ask advice about becuase i'm not sure if these things or normal or they are problems that need to get fixed.

The next images are of all the CRT faces with the unit on, all blocks deleted, and everything set to midposition:

Red:

http://www.headofmyhead.com/car/Barco_Red_CRT.jpg

Green:

http://www.headofmyhead.com/car/Barco_Green_CRT.jpg

Blue:

http://www.headofmyhead.com/car/Barco_Blue_CRT.jpg

1. Is the shape of the raster normal for midposition?

2. On the top of each of the rasters there is a very bright line - is this normal, and if so, is it ok that they are of different thickness? ie, the green bright line is thin, while the blue and red bright line are thicker

3. On the Red CRT, notice that there is an area on the bottom under the raster on the crt face that is light up, kind of like a small smudge or swirl (ignore the purple in the middle of the raster its a reflection from my camera) - is this a serious problem?

4. Couple of weird things going on with the blue CRT. Its bigger becuase i wanted it to be seen easier, there is a thin line in the middle of the raster area at all times, and then there is what looks like to be video garbage or noise on the entire raster - this is always the same even when playing a dvd etc. Also some slight lit up smudge below the raster like the red.

5. I understand the blue tube should not be as focused as the red and green, but my blue can't even get close. Its not horrible, but no matter what focus controls i adjust (in the menu, and the lense) it gets no where close.

6. Also, all of the rasters are shifted very much to the left on the tube face. To set the green in the center takes about a 70ish setting on the raster shift in Installation mode.

7. And then to get the red centered it takes about 80-90 on the red, and the blue will barely center with a 100 value (which i know is driving the electronics hard)

Is this acceptable or should i be looking at adjusting pots on the boards to center these rasters while the set it at midposition?

Finally i want to understand better the G2 adjustment.

8. I warm up the projector for about an hour (watching a movie) and then go into the G2 adjustment menu - on the back of the Tubes (where the little CRT board is, each green LED light on the back of the Tube is lit up when in the G2 menu - i want to be sure, this means i should adjust the G2 unit each of those lights goes off? Is this correct?

Thanks for any help :)

·
Registered
214 Posts
I'm gonna have a stab at answering no. 6. The green only has the "raster shift" adjustment in the menu, but the red and blue have pots inside the pj to center them. First reset the raster adjustment for red and blue back to 50, then adjust the pots to center the rasters. See Curt's site for the locations of the pots: http://www.curtpalme.com/Barco808.htm

Jon

·
Registered
390 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by hikarion
8. I warm up the projector for about an hour (watching a movie) and then go into the G2 adjustment menu - on the back of the Tubes (where the little CRT board is, each green LED light on the back of the Tube is lit up when in the G2 menu - i want to be sure, this means i should adjust the G2 unit each of those lights goes off? Is this correct?
That is correct. Adjust the G2 pots (see pics at Curt's site) SLOWLY until each led turns off.

Quote:
4. Couple of weird things going on with the blue CRT. Its bigger becuase i wanted it to be seen easier, there is a thin line in the middle of the raster area at all times, and then there is what looks like to be video garbage or noise on the entire raster - this is always the same even when playing a dvd etc. Also some slight lit up smudge below the raster like the red.
Sounds very much like a problem I had some time ago, see: http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=563188

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Did you ever fix your problem with the blue tube?

I guess i could try swapping the neckboards from my Blue to Green or Red, and see if the problem travels with the neckboard or stays on the blue tube.

Also, would the G2 light be on if the G2 was set too high? or does it only go on if its set too low?

·
Banned
63 Posts
The G2 light needs to be adjusted so that the light "just" goes off.

Either on or way off is incorrect.

So

1) no

2) I have never seen it (on any of mine) so I say no.

3) looks like video noise or junk on the phosphor to me

4) you might have a ground loop issue - but how are you feeding the power/signal to the PJ

5) The Blue can be as focused as the green or red it is just harder to see. A brand new blue tube is a thing of beauty.

6) It sounds like you need to do full magnetic setup - pole/focus, etc. I have seen these compound small issues with the boards.

7) adjust the pots - see curtpalme.com for a nice how to and also buy the manual.

enjoy the Barco

Pete

·
Registered
390 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by hikarion
Did you ever fix your problem with the blue tube?
Nope. Problem wasn't with the neck board / RGB output board so I returned the set. You can try swapping the neck boards, if that doesn't help, swap tubes (for example green and blue). If the problem stays in blue which is now in green's place, the problem is with the tube, if not, it's something else.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ok, i was able to fix the G2, I adjusted it so the LED on each tube is just off, with no flickering.

Still not sure about the bright line on each raster, and then the weird issue going on with the blue, i can try to swap it out, but still have no idea on the bright line at the top of each raster..?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.