AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 68 Posts

·
Registered
594 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As a lot of people here know I have fitted the color filtered HD-144 lenses to the 808s to get the correct color filtering, and that went very well and it was a big upgrade to the 808s.

After a lot of testing of the colors I have to say I am very satisfied with the results and I invited some 808s owners over to look at it, and it was a big shock to them to see this extremely sharp beautiful colored picture and NO halo at all. The picture has a black level near a LC projector and its colors are just beautiful.

So the conclusion is that the HD-144 lenses with the special made adapters are a really big upgrade for the 808s, and not just the colors it fixes almost every thing that’s wrong with a 808s even the scheimpflug adjustment removal made it crystal sharp all over the picture.

And I didn’t stop there I changed all the E-caps on the neck boards and some in the video chain with better quality, and wow this is really an upgrade all the noise in the picture disappeared and both the black level and colors got even more beautiful and the sharpness wow again.

I would say that the lens project and E-cap upgrade together have to be at least a 50% upgrade to the 808s you have to see it to believe it!

I can’t wait to begin the E-cap changing on the BG1209s :)

Here is a picture of the 808s with the HD-144 lenses!
http://www.crtht.com/BarcoGraphics%2...%20Edition.jpg

·
Registered
18,506 Posts
You can call it a BENC..;)

Nice work!

Curt

·
Registered
2,590 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by ChrisWiggles
dammit.

"your 808 is just fine chris. Really"

*sigh*
hee hee I was thinking the same thing. Now we are going to a need a Barco 808 modification thread ;-).

·
Registered
594 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by secstate
hee hee I was thinking the same thing. Now we are going to a need a Barco 808 modification thread ;-).
I agree with you on that! Barcos need a lot of care to perform their best, the Barco designers have also tried to save money on cheap components like every one else.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Thats just wonderful, do you have some pictures of the e-cap mods? what type of e-caps did you use? I must say that you doing a great job pushing the BG808s to a new level of performance:) Good luck with your mod on the 1209s.

·
Registered
594 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Rob and Bullfire,

I just went with long life 105 °C in stead of the original 85 °C I also went higher on the voltage tolerances on some but that’s it.

I am ordering in some high end e-caps to like Black Gate or similar just to try it out i think maybe that’s the one I need in the 1209s ;)

Garrick,

I have a container with HD-144 on the way from the US right now :)

I am also going to post the E-cap mods with pictures of the actual modified parts on my web page soon.

·
Registered
2,051 Posts
A couple of questions.

What is needed to fit the HD-144 lenses ?

Will they work on any 808 model or just the BG808s ?

What is the cost of those lenses ?

I know that the Cine8 colorfiltered lenses cost roughly £1900 so that is not really an option for me :D

·
Registered
594 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
If you hit the CRT Project's link at the bottom of the page and go to the lens project you should find every info you need!

I have bought some sets of HD-144 lenses brand new for under $200 pr set with freight to Norway.

·
Registered
JVC RS40, Pioneer Elite Receiver, B&W Atmos in ceiling. Draper Onyx.
658 Posts
That's great that you designed your own adapter for the lenses.

For anybody thinking of this mod and might need to get the adapter manufactured I stumbled across a great site to get parts machined.

http://www.emachineshop.com/

You can download the software, design the part, and get a quote easily...or so they say. I'm still looking for an excuse to use this site.

John

·
Registered
94 Posts
@bjorn,

if you option for the black gates you need to hurry.

they close their factory at the end of the year.

one big wow is to change the input buffer caps.

you will find 3 10uf-25v e-caps on the inputboard opf your 1209s and 808s.

change them to 10uf-50n type black gates.

also throw out the bypass cap and replace with a 0,1uf-50nx.

post back the result, please.

regards,

gernot

·
Registered
3,055 Posts
Bjørn,

thanks very much for sharing yet another of your impressive projects. Congratulations on your success! I have to admit though that my limited knowledge leaves me confused about a number of aspects of what you've achieved.

You commented:

> If you hit the CRT Project's link at the bottom of the page and go to the lens project you should find every info you need!

·
Registered
594 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by gerni g.
@bjorn,

if you option for the black gates you need to hurry.

they close their factory at the end of the year.

one big wow is to change the input buffer caps.

you will find 3 10uf-25v e-caps on the inputboard opf your 1209s and 808s.

change them to 10uf-50n type black gates.

also throw out the bypass cap and replace with a 0,1uf-50nx.

post back the result, please.

regards,

gernot
Thanks Gernot,

I know about the closing of the black gate factory thats why i wrote or similar :)

I am thinking of buying some Great Supply e-caps from Nichicon that i have a lot of in my amps and preamp they are also great performers like Black Gate.

I did remove the 3 e-caps on the input board but they are bipolar and i didn't have them but they are in the mail and arriving soon i hope.

·
Registered
2,051 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by B.Hegelstad
If you hit the CRT Project's link at the bottom of the page and go to the lens project you should find every info you need!

I have bought some sets of HD-144 lenses brand new for under $200 pr set with freight to Norway.
Would it be possible to buy a set and the adapters from you ?

If so, please pm me :D

·
Registered
594 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Hi Tim I hope this helps! Sorry about the big holes in the info on my web pages :(

There is no loss in the red! The change is just not so visible in the red as in the green when you use a camera to show the differences.

1) I don’t know why the haloes disappeared but the HD-144 lenses is all glass and the HD-8 is plastic, or maybe it’s just a perfect designed lens adapter ;)

2) This was something I where very concerned about when making the adapters but the corner sharpness is better and the light output didn’t change, so I don’t know why they would use the HD-8 instead of using HD-144!

3) That’s something I have talked about before because I always mount the projectors I install 110% correct within millimeters, and that means the Scheimpflug is not necessary and you would be better of without it especially on the 808s because the Scheimpflug is impossible to get 100% because of a not so good design :(

4) I got the ink colors very similar to the lens colors but we don’t know how long before it begins losing its density and there where less light loss with the lenses. Also I like the more 3D like picture I got with the HD-144, but the ink is still working on a lot of installations I have done.

5) Yes this is something I started on a few days ago but I will keep everyone informed of my findings, and it will be documented on my web pages soon.

It’s possible that I can supply some adapter sets to the ones that don’t have the opportunity to make them their self’s, and I will also post the finished drawing with complete machining files on the web page :)

·
Registered
3,055 Posts
Bjørn, thanks for the followup.

> There is no loss in the red! The change is just not so visible in the red as in the green when you use a camera to show the differences. the HD-144 lenses is all glass and the HD-8 is plastic because I always mount the projectors I install 110% correct within millimeters, ...and that means the Scheimpflug is not necessary and you would be better of without it

·
Registered
2,590 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by VideoGrabber
Bjørn, thanks for the followup.

Actually, AFAIK, the HD-8's (at least the Rev.B's I have) are hybrid. That could potentially be the culprit. IIRC, I think that Curt has indicated there are some all-glass HD-8's out there, though I don't know how they're designated.

I did not know that! I assume that mechanism is shared by the all the 808 models, not just the 808s?
I think the HD-8 Rev B are hybrid and the HD-8 (no rev) are glass. The glass ones also come with an aluminum shell rather than plastic. So they are easy to spot (look for shiny black paint rather than matte plastic). I believe early Barco 800 models came with them. I have a friend with a set who has promised (for the past year) to try them on his 1208s to see if there is any difference. Some say they are better and others say they are worse.

Only the Graphics 808 and 808s have Schimpflug. The Data versions use washers if you need it.

1 - 20 of 68 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.