AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
411 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was wondering if when using blanking, if the CRT is not scanning the blanking area or if it is just scanning it in black??? I have a motorized 4:3 screen, but want to project 16:9 on another input by starting it at the top of the screen and then moving up the bottom of my screen to the bottom of the image...BUT, by doing this, I would be projecting off the edge of the CRT (which I know is bad). But, I would BLANK that area out, so the projected picture would still be within the face of the CRT. I think is will be fine because I'm pretty sure that the blanking is LACK of scanning, so it would not scan any image outside the CRT and should not damage it....Is this true? Thanks....Steve.

·
Registered
85 Posts
look at this post.

It seems you can do it safely.

Stefno

·
Registered
7,136 Posts
The dangers involved with going off the tube face with a visible image is that the beam hits the glass and will heat it up because there is no means of cooling the sides like is done on the front of the CRT.

By using blanking, the beam is turned off completely so there's no danger of heat being generated so you're safe.

Kal

·
Registered
411 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Great, thanks guys....Steve.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.