AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,014 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought a Barco 1208/2 from Chuchuf back in Dec 2001 as the second major purchase for my to-be-built HT. I have finally moved it into the theater and bolted it to Superstruts on the ceiling.

In the grand scheme of the project, this is only a small piece of the puzzle, but feels like a major milestone. In honor of such, here are a couple shots on its way up. It took me about 3 hours using four $1 ratchet tie-downs and 4 eye-bolts to hoist it up. You can see some temporary support using tables, chairs, and ladders underneath. These were mostly for safey nets, in case a strap gave out. I could have saved an hour by just ratcheting the four corners, but did not want to risk it. If I had gotten the superstrut bolted up yesterday, I would have had 4 other guys to help lift it up last night, but I was a day behind, so had to do it myself.

After I fully ratched the tie-downs, I was still a ways from the ceiling. I then used a single strap across the front and another across the back to cradle the PJ and pull it up tighter. Finally, I just pushed one corner at a time in place and threaded a bolt into a T-nut in the track. Whew!
(I should have just had Art come over and do his Atlas maneuver, as 8" guns must weigh nothing compared to dual 9"s.)

For reference, the dark rectangle on the ceiling just above the lenses is an HVAC supply to help cool the PJ, the the dark circle towards the back is a 6 inch flexiduct to exhaust the heat (blower fan mounted outside the room). Ceiling height is 7'-6" where the PJ is mounted. I used low-profile superstrut (7/8") and reverse mounted the cross strut, so the bottom of the PJ bracket is actually only one inch from the ceiling. The top cover has been removed from the PJ for mounting purposes.

Geordon

·
Registered
333 Posts
looks good. The 1208 are a beast compared to my 800 but..the picture quality...true blacks....ahhhhh better than digital anytime.

I had mine put up from a buddy of mine and its earthquake proof (good for me as I'm on the west coast).

now to get everything together and spend a few hours tuning it.

oh by the way you could have saved yourself about 2 1/2hrs by renting a drywall hoist from HD and a piece of plywood and ony one other person.

·
Registered
1,014 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Quote:
oh by the way you could have saved yourself about 2 1/2hrs by renting a drywall hoist from HD and a piece of plywood and ony one other person.
If I don't count the two one-hour round trip drives, the hour or more spent at HD getting a hoist and truck, unloading, reloading, and returning them. This doesn't even count all the rental fees and coordinating with a buddy to come over and help out. A Genie lift would have been cool, too. Of course, nothing in this theater has been completed the quick way.

·
Registered
333 Posts
a genie lift would have been good too but...HD is about 5min from me soooooo

two hours each way...annn not worth it but if there was a closer rental place.

its good to hear of other ways of lifting such a beast up to the ceiling. CRT pj are a love hate relationship.

·
Premium Member
16,426 Posts

·
Registered
1,014 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The chain trick is pretty cool. Hopefully, mine will stay up there for awhile, otherwise I might try that next time.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I just installed my ECP 4100 using a SheetRock Lift. It worked beautifully, this lift had 3 legs, was very portable and had a one-way hand crank that locked automatically. Only $25.00 per day for the lift and it took me around 1 hour to install.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.