AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thanks in part to many of you here, I have become a huge HT fan, specifically CRT's. I bought a BG-800 from Curt a couple of years ago and like all of Curt's clients, I am extremely pleased. I have decided to add to the 800 as well. I just got my hands on a couple of Barco Vision 701's. Each have about 4000 hours on them and CRTs appear very solid and strong. I have a couple of quick questions and any help would be greatly appreciated.

1) These have been password protected. In other words, I cannot seem to enter any adjustment mode without the password. I don't know what it is unfortunately and the source was a US Gov't liquidation sale and nobody from the sale has a clue even what I'm asking for much less the answer. Is there any way to override this process?

2) Both units cast a lovely picture, albeit upside down. Their setup was ceiling mount previously. What is the quickest way to convert the setup to floor mount to adjust them (bearing in mind that I must get past the password issue first)?

Thanks in advance,

Scott

·
Registered
2,590 Posts
Scott,

I cannot speak to the password issue, but in the Barco 808s and 1208s that I am familiar with, there are switches on the horizontal deflection board that switch from table/ceiling and front/back projection. I would guess the 701 would be similiar. Whatever you do don't switch these while the proejctor is on, a friend of mine manage to sport burn a Sony 1272 doing this while the projector was on. You can find the 701s Owners Manual and Install Manual for download at: http://www.projectorspecifications.com/manuals.php. They should tell you how to switch the projection configuration. They may also tell you how to bypass the password. As a last resort assuming you don't get the answer here, you can always call North American Barco Technical support (the number is on the Barco site). I have heard they are very helpful.

secstate

P.S. The site above does not appear to allow links. If you copy the link into your browser directly it should work.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Mr. secretary-- or should I say General?

Thanks for the input. I'll definately give the folks at Barco a call. I luckily have the manuals you mentioned. Oddly enough, they are the same--even though the files that they unzip to have different names (700im.pdf and 700om.pdf) and different "dates modified", when opened each of them is the owners manual for the Barco Data 708. It is certainly a helpful manual, although thru my experience with the BG-800, not much was new info. Unfortunately, regarding the password matter and any "internal adjustments under the hood", it very specifically requests that these be done by a qualified Barco tech. Pretty much limited info from there. Thanks for the heads up on the Barco technical support folks.

Scott

·
Registered
968 Posts
For the password, I believe the default is typcially "1990" for that vintage projector. The easiest thing to do is open the "hood" with the projector off (unplugged is good too) and on the black controller box there are some LEDs and a hole with DIP switches inside it. If you read the legend, one of those DIP switches is set to require the password, but if you'll flip it the other direction it won't ask for it anymore.

Mark

·
Registered
2,606 Posts
After disabling the password with the DIP switch, you can power the projector back up and go to the Service menu. There's a password set feature you can use to enter your own password. When you reset the DIP switch, the password will be required again.

I turn the DIP off when I'm setting up the projector, then turn it back on afterwards to keep myself from mucking with things by accident. I set my password to "0001" so I always know what it is for a quick touch up of convergence when needed, but I try not to use it unless needed.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks again to all who contributed here! Total success on all fronts. Also thanks again to Curt for walking me thru the 3 sets of 3 connectors to flip for configuration change to floor mount! The rest of you were dead-on as well regarding the DIP switches (located on top center of motherboard--after it has been flipped up). Switch #7 if I recall, but very nicely marked by the Barco folks. These 701s as I mentioned are my 2nd experience with Barco, and their layout and placement for hardware is truly user friendly. If anyone ever has any questions regarding this process, feel free to allow me to share what little I know!

Thanks again to all!

Scott

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.