AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
548 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Today, I purchased a spare BG800 (for parts). The reason, primarily, is that I am a HT addict. I have had a recent issue with my main BG800. Three weeks ago, the Power supply smoked. Bad. Curt says he will repair it under "warranty". Great! The problem is that I am an impatient person, and saw this other BG800 in the classifieds.

Long story short, I went over there and purchased it cheap knowing it needed a HV splitter (I could see the arcing). At least it had a good ps. Good.

I took it home, inspected the transformer on the ps(the one that is notorious to toast tubes) and it looked like it was good.

Swapped out my dead ps with the new parts machine ps. It is all good. For about a half hour. The recently replaced PS in my barco dies after about 30 minutes of viewing. It dies a different death than the other one. It squeals and pulses, where the original one just went dark.:confused: The original power supply has a dead short in it, which blows the fuse. The parts machine power supply looks good with processor cycles light/etc, UNTIL you hit the power button. The yellow LEDS on the side all come on dim and you get this weird pulsing screeching sound coming from the unit. At that point in time, you have to un-plug it, because the remote will not respond.

Some more info. Swapping the daughter board between power supplies does not re-locate or change the problem.

So the question is two-fold:

1. Am I going to smoke yet another power supply? Could I have a board that is overloading the power supply and shortening its life?

2. Where can I get my hands on a complete power supply schematic so that I can fix my parts machine power supply?

Sorry about the rambling, I just want to put all the info that I have out to the abyss.....

Thanks,

Garrick

·
Registered
411 Posts
I would swap out all of the board from the parts machine to your BG800. I would just swap all and see if it works. IF you really wanted to know the board with the short, you could do them one at a time, but you may smoke the new powersupply if you haven't already damaged it. Hopefully it isn't a shorted CRT, although you do have a parts machine. good luck...Steve.

·
Registered
4,916 Posts
Garrick,

I have seen multiple instances of this squealing sound you are discribing with Barco 808, 1208 and in both cases it was the quadripler that was bad and making the noise. This noise and the symptom that you are not getting the crackling high voltage sound to the tubes is a pretty good indication to me.

However since you have had a PS failure what I an saying may not apply.

Terry

·
Registered
18,503 Posts
You have a second bad power supply. Send me both, and I'll repair one under warranty.

Thanks!

Curt

·
Registered
548 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the responses. How much is a HV splitter? I know I need one for the parts unit. It has a burn hole through the side with the bracket, and you can see the corona inside it.

My goal is to have 2 functional units (stacking, spare parts) when I am through. The benefit is that I should not have to go without HT anymore.

I still have this nagging feeling that the parts machine power supply worked for 12+ years and I use it in the other machine and it lasts 30 minutes.... That seems kind of fishy to me.

I would still like to acquire the schematic for this power supply. I have this feeling that I may have to repair this power supply again in the future. I won't be in a big hurry to fix the parts machine, so I can dink around with it, and fix it in my leisure. Having 2 machines with one being fully functional makes it VERY easy to troubleshoot.

Thanks,

Garrick

·
Registered
18,503 Posts
I have the schematic. Email me your home address and I'll send it to you.

I'm running really low on HV splitters, so I have to charge $200.00 USd incl shipping, sorry! The schematic is free though..:)

Curt

·
Registered
548 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks Curt!

Once I get these power supplies fixed, I will most likely be ready for a splitter. Just like Little Ceasar's, "Two is better than one"

-Garrick

·
Registered
548 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Curt is the man!

I am not worthy, o great one. I have both power supplies diagnosed and have one of them fixed. It was the cap (just like you said) on the pulsing supply, and a shorted transistor (BUP101) on the other.

I was able to clean out the crack in the case on the HV splitter and goo it up with silicone to limp it by for a while. The parts machine comes on now. ROCK AND ROLL! The green tube has a very shaky picture, but I should be able to pinpoint that now with two functional machines.

Thanks to all who contributed :) :) :)

·
Registered
18,503 Posts
Only one word of advice!

BUY THE SPLITTER!

Each time it arcs you stand a chance to burn a hole in all three phosphors of the tubes.

Curt

·
Registered
548 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Fair enough. I trust you completely since you laser sighted the problems with the other power supplies. Let me move the good splitter to the parts machine just to make sure I don't need to buy anything else for it. I'll call you to order, when I know I am done figuring out what else I need.

Thanks.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.