AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a problem with my BarcoGraphics 808s and any help would be greatly appreciated. While I was watching TV last night (though Direct TV, Sony SAT-T60 receiver driving an iScan Pro) the screen would radipdly contract and expand horiontally, then the picture would turn green, then all would go back to normal. This entire event lasted only a few seconds and occured several times througout the movie. I turned the projector off for a while then watched it again for about 30 minutes and everything worked fine.

Any ideas as to what caused this? Is there something I have to worry about?

Thanks!!

Brian

·
Registered
968 Posts
I would lean towards:

1. Your input power dipped or wavered in such a way to affect the projector's power supply.

2. Your SMPS power supply faultered and may be failing.

or

3. Your EHT (electrical high tension) power supply that produces about 34 kVolts to drive the tubes has an impending problem - like the splitter going bad.

Personally, if you're not already doing it, I would get an UPS (uninterruptable power supply) and use it to run the projector for a few days or weeks and see if you get any reoccurances. I know the APC brand UPS's will also beep when they are on and see significantly low input electricity so you can sort of tell when it happens. I hope this is the problem.

The contraction and expansion comment is what makes me suspect a problem in the high voltage (EHT) section. I'm hoping this is only as a direct result of the input power having issues, but I've seen the picture do this when a splitter started going out on a BG800.

Just some ideas...

Mark

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Mark,

Thanks for your reply. I will stop by my local computer store and get an APC unit. I watched another movie last night and a bit of TV for a total of approximately 3 hours with no repeats of the previous problems. Do you recommend a power conditioner between the APC and the projector?

Brian

·
Registered
968 Posts
Brian,

I'd suggest doing some searches here on the forum on power conditioners and uninterruptable power supplies and see what's been discussed. I know I've seen several threads on the subjects. Some folks do swear by the expensive power conditioners such as those by TICE, Panamax, Monster Cable, etc... and some like the uninterruptable units. Most uninterruptable units have some level of filtering, but probably not like those other units.

Mark

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.