AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For months now I haven't had to crack the case on my Barco 801s. The picture has been outstanding and I haven't had the free time to just play with it in a long time. The other night it started feeling neglected, I guess, and wanted to remind me to play with it.

The picture started flickering randomly extra blue. It was like the cutoff for the blue was being messed with. It lasted about ten seconds then stopped. A few minutes later it did it again. When it stopped I skipped the Tivo back and it seemed to do it on certain pictures. If I paused in a certain place it would stay blue and when it passed the certain spot it would be normal again. It's done it a dozen times in the last week and most times I can make it do it again by going back to the same scene. There doesn't seem to be anything special about the scene. Most are darkish but some are pretty bright.

One time it did it and I pushed on the little board that has the cutoff and gain adjustment pots. It stopped. Later that didn't work no matter where I pushed.

Does anyone know what can cause this and where the problem might be located? I've run out of places to look at and it may be time to start taking peices out.

Thanks

Cody

·
Registered
18,507 Posts
You're referring to the video output board. Change the blue one with the red and see if the problem changes to the red. I have spares...

Last thing you want to do is to have the blue come on strong and have you nuke the tube when you turn the set off. I managed to blow up a red and green this weekend due to exactly that problem..:-(

Curt

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for your help, Curt. I did swap the two parts. I was amazed at how easy those things come out and go back in. I was ready to tear the whole thing apart. For a while I thought that had solved the problem but it started doing it again. This has been a huge pain to troubleshoot. Most times the blip only lasts a few milliseconds and they happened several minutes apart. Sometimes it would get bad enough for me to get up out of the chair but by the time I had a chance to touch anything, it stopped. I think I have found the problem though.

Like I said, I'm not sure but I think the problem is with my VGA connector. Either in the cable or the plug it is in. I found accidently that bumping it would change the blue balance. Only sometimes. I have ordered a new cable and if this doesn't fix it, I will order another Belkin KVM switcher and then if that doesn't fix it, I will go crazy and unplug the blue and watch yellow pictures from now on.

Cody

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.