AVS Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What do you guys think of this barbones kit machine with Asus Mobo for htpc and gaming at Tigerdirect ? I'm wondering if an EVGA GTX 275 video card and 2TB Caviar drive would play nice with it. They have a couple of other choices too in this price/speed range.

·
Registered
2,890 Posts
gaming yes, way overkill for htpc..

·
Registered
7,654 Posts
If thats in your price range I'd say hell yah go for it. Thats gonna be a pretty stout rig that could handle pretty much anything you throw at it without breaking a sweat.

Like the guy before me said though if its just HTPC its uber over kill

·
Premium Member
5,402 Posts
I have a similar Asus P6T based Core i7 HTPC and could not be happier. There's no way I would go back to a less "overkill" system. Of course I do H264 encoding but it's so nice to have such a fast and snappy HTPC!
Really worth the $$$ IMO.

·
Registered
130 Posts
I'd spend the $1000 building a computer piece by piece from newegg. You'd get more bang for your buck - I find tigerdirect overpriced...like the combo you linked, you save a whole $7.94 buying together. "LOOK AT THIS VALUE!" what a joke, new egg combo deals save you $100s sometimes.

·
Registered
2,890 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Detonation /forum/post/16950831

I'd spend the $1000 building a computer piece by piece from newegg. You'd get more bang for your buck - I find tigerdirect overpriced...like the combo you linked, you save a whole $7.94 buying together. "LOOK AT THIS VALUE!" what a joke, new egg combo deals save you $100s sometimes.

for $1000 you could get a sweet mobo and cpu, video and a killer case.

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
The Tiger barebones kits never look like a good deal to me but then Tiger's prices generally seem to almost always be higher compared to other sites.

Being in Canada, I find NCIX has good prices and they also put a price match button right on the shopping cart page so I can just price match to other web sites, buy in one spot and save shipping costs. If I was in the US then Newegg would likely be my favorite shopping site.

Peter

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks guys. I'm actually in Canada too, so I'll check out NCIX for sure. Never tried them before. I've bought from Tigerdirect several times before and always was satisfied. The Newegg prices typically amount to exactly the same as Tigerdirect when I compare things. At least in Canadian prices.

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
Check out shopbot.ca then.

One other thing. NCIX only charges GST if you happen to be in a location with a provincial tax. In Ontario I'd get dinged PST and GST from Tiger but only pay GST from NCIX. 8% can be a bit of cash on some purchases.

Peter

·
Registered
1,375 Posts
Another source in Canada http://www.canadacomputers.com/ Prices comparable to NCIX, I have used both and no problems. If you are in South Ontario, Canada Computers has lots of brick and mortar stores. NCIX brick and mortar on West Coast. Anywhere else you are stuck with delivery costs.

And I agree, I find Tiger is +10% and I find the in store staff useless. I tried many times to like them (never online), I really did, but always end up having some kind of issue. So they are off y list of places I go.

BB

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks again. I'll check those places out. I was wondering why PST wasn't showing up in the NCIX cart. :) That's a great deal that applies to me. I can already see myself saving at least $100 there. Much appreciated!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts