AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What I want is a basic 'HTPC' to play the odd VCD because my fairly old but reliable DVD player does not play them. What I have is ..500MHZ PIII,256MB Ram,TNT2 Ultra vid card with TV out,Pioneer 10x DVD-Rom drive,Soundblaster live card,Power DVD XP(I think is called). Could any of you fine folks tell me what else I need to do this...needs to be pretty cheap. BTW my TV is a 6 year old 27in Proscan. Thanks

·
Registered
181 Posts
Why do you think you need anything else? Just hook it up and enjoy.

·
Registered
2,700 Posts
You proably won't be happy witth the picture quality of the s-video out of the TNT to your TV.

·
Registered
3,372 Posts
I agree that you should be able to put together a VCD player with what you have on hand. I'll also point out that my grocery store will sell you an off-name DVD player for $60 that'll work with a lot less hassle.

Funny thing about off-name DVD players. They are often more compatible with VCD's (on non-standard formats like XSVCD) than name brand players.

·
Registered
719 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Salmoneous
...I'll also point out that my grocery store will sell you an off-name DVD player for $60 that'll work with a lot less hassle.
I think Salmonella hit the nail on the head. The HTPC really needs a higher-resolution display device to be the best choice. Of course, I'm sure there are those who would disagree. I know you will be more satisfied with the stand-alone DVD player if watching DVDs is your main/only use. If you are planning to set up a media server (MP3,etc.), then perhaps an HTPC is the way to go.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well I live in Canada so there are no $60 DVD players but I see your point. I could probably get one for $80-100. Thanks

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.