AVS Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've done as much searching as I can to see if this has been already discussed here, but to no avail. I have two Phase Tech PC50 10 down firing, non-powered, SWs placed on a carpeted floor over a cement slab. They have plastic extenders to raise them slightly on carpeted floors. These units are being used to produce the 150Hz to 80Hz sound field in the front left and right channels of a 7.1 system. The lower bass frequencies are directed to a powered, front facing SW. Each PC50 has its own two way bookshelf speaker producing the mid to high ranges. (This is what happens when you upgrade your system and still want to use what you have.)

I've seen where such manufacturers as SVS are putting what they call a base-plate' under their down firing subs. The SVS PB12-Plus/2 is such an example. Since I tend to think too much, this got me wondering how much of a difference do these base-plates' make? It seems like a logical thing to do, but since when does logic have anything to do with sound systems?

If there is a reason to have a base-plate', what would the best material be to make one? I've read where some are using granite slabs as opposed to wood or floor tiles. I'd only need something around 14 x 15 if I were to put anything solid under my PC50s.

Anyone have any comments? Or, if this has been discussed elsewhere, want to tell me where to go?

·
Registered
71 Posts
I would like to know if this makes an audible difference in performance or not as well...

·
Registered
6,468 Posts
I'd use MDF, It's cheap, easy to find at HD or Lowes, very dense, easy to work with as far as cutting to size and with a can of spray paint can give you a nice looking plate. You can even have them cut it for you if you have the measurements.

Try it as an experiment to see which yields you the best results. If it doesn't work out you're only out a few bucks.

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jakeman02 /forum/post/13253449

I'd use MDF, It's cheap, easy to find at HD or Lowes, very dense, easy to work with as far as cutting to size and with a can of spray paint can give you a nice looking plate. You can even have them cut it for you if you have the measurements.

Try it as an experiment to see which yields you the best results. If it doesn't work out you're only out a few bucks.

Thanks for the suggestion. I'm redoing some things now, so I think I'll give it a try. I have saws, routers and all ten fingers, still.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts