AVS Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a dvr output(security camera dvr) connected to an 8 way splitter hub http://www.audio-discounters.com/h808.html

that is distributing to several tv's....problem is the signal won't pass thru hub....i dont know if i have a bad hub, or if the signal is supposed to pass through or not...i'm thinking the signal coming from the dvr is composite baseband and the hub will only pass broadband???

Does that make sense?

Any info appreciated

·
Registered
2,013 Posts
That splitter is designed for RF (what you call 'broadband') signals, not baseband - either CATV or OTA feeds. But I think mostly your problem is that it's a passive device. Baseband signals can't handle as much signal loss as RF signals can.

For NTSC composite video, you *might* be able to get away with a 2-way passive splitter for for short cables lengths without too much loss. But 8-way? You'll definitely need an active "video distribution amp", not a passive splitter.

Another option is to get get an RF modulator, and put the DVR output onto a specific TV channel - which you'd tune to at each TV. Depending on several factors (cable type, length, TV tuner quality, etc) you might then get away with your passive 8-way RF splitter.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks for the reply....as for the modulator that would be a last resort, with digital cable i would need to put in filters and such with a digital mod. kit...i want to go easy as possible.....so is what you're saying the 8-way cant handle it? Would it have anything to do with the different signals...baseband vs broadband (rf)?

i was thinking of getting this.... http://www.geekbro.com/index.cfm/p/v/717976

·
Banned
1,614 Posts

Quote:
so is what you're saying the 8-way cant handle it? Would it have anything to do with the different signals.

You can't 'split' a baseband signal with an RF splitter.

You need a distribution amp.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts