AVS Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've done a bunch of searching, but haven't come up with anything that directly addresses my question.

I just moved into a new house. It has radiant baseboard heaters throughout. There are 10+ dial type thermostats all through the house.

Is there a system out there that I can replace these thermostats with something more programable and controlable from my PC? More specifically, something that won't cost an arm and a leg?

$200 plus per unit is fine when it's a single controller for an HVAC house, but with 10+ to do, it could get a little silly.

TIAV

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I've called X10, Smarthome, and come up with Bupkiss.

This maybe the first time the internet has let me down. I've always found that if I wanted to do something, someone else has too, and all I have to do is dig deep enough and I'll find an answer.

No suggestions, eh?

·
Registered
2,328 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwydionjhr /forum/post/18287084

I've called X10, Smarthome, and come up with Bupkiss.

This maybe the first time the internet has let me down. I've always found that if I wanted to do something, someone else has too, and all I have to do is dig deep enough and I'll find an answer.

No suggestions, eh?

Post a pic of your units or at least a link to the style of thermostat you are indicating. These types of controls may be mechanical and may not lend themselves to easy upgrades.

·
Registered
6,101 Posts
Aube makes thermostats to control your baseboard heaters, and some have contacts for external control.

It will not be cheap.

Buy them from a reliable vendor or distributor, and he/she will provide guidance on installation.

You'll need a third party controller to control them all.

Read the manuals.

I have 2 zones of electric radiant floor heat in my master bathroom. The NuHeat thermostats are identical to a particular model of Aube thermostat, and although not detailed in my NuHeat manual, the Aube manual describes the contacts.

My thermostats are not currently integrated.

I think the Aube model are ~$100/thermostat, plus you'll need some sort of control system ($$$). You could prob get an HAI controller for $1000 (Lumina maybe?), and add some temperature sensors.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the suggestions guys. It looks like individual programable units are my only option, unless I win the lottery ;-)

·
Registered
6,101 Posts
Maybe that $100/device estimate is a bit high, I think you can get them for cheaper.

Revised estimate ~$60/t-stat.

Keep us posted on what you end up with.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Maybe you don't need to have all 10 to be programmable. Before I moved in to my house, I thought I need to buy 2 programmable thermostats. But after I moved in, I found that we only go to 2nd floor when we go to bed. So it's always set to 61 degree in winter and no need to use a programmable thermostat. Perhaps you just have 3 or 4 zones in your house need the programmable ones then just replace those.

·
Registered
6,101 Posts
You could probably group the baseboard heaters to create 3-4 zones, or even 1 zone.

·
Registered
255 Posts
I have installed a few of the Aube stats, and tons of their other products, and they are excellent.

It's going back a ways, but I thought their programmable stats were even cheaper yet - I don't want to throw out a number because its pretty foggy.

Good luck

1 - 9 of 9 Posts