AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 139 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Friends, So now that the D-Nice review is out and some other folks have there units. What is the verdict? Is the new 5020 worth the Added $1k over the Panasonic 800 or 850?

Ready to buy either one right now.

Thanks for you help and consideration.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
18,323 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Hun /forum/post/14167584


from what I hear everyone saying. Yes.
Everyone? Even the people who bought Samsungs and Panasonics? Is there a poll somewhere?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
599 Posts
Well, I have a friend who bought the panasonic, and I purchased the Sammy. Lets just say we both ended up returning our units. The store even let us take a 5020 home and put it side by side so we can compare my samsung and his panny to the kuro, and lets just leave it at that.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,088 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Hun /forum/post/14167668


Well, I have a friend who bought the panasonic, and I purchased the Sammy. Lets just say we both ended up returning our units. The store even let us take a 5020 home and put it side by side so we can compare my samsung and his panny to the kuro, and lets just leave it at that.

Huh? What does that mean?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,603 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nk1 /forum/post/14167394


Hi Friends, So now that the D-Nice review is out and some other folks have there units. What is the verdict? Is the new 5020 worth the Added $1k over the Panasonic 800 or 850? Ready to buy either one right now. Thanks for you help and consideration.

your money your choice. but definitely check out the deal the forum sponsors can get you on whichever choice you make. good luck.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
357 Posts
I couldn't swing the $614 difference between the 50PZ800U and the 5020. If I could have, I would have bought the 5020. But the 50PZ800U on most material is so damn good in THX mode that you won't care if you can't swing the extra scratch, you'll still be loving your TV.


If you have it, buy the Kuro, if you don't, buy the Panny. There's nothing to it beyond that.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
17 Posts
Based on D-Nice's review, I would run to Costco to buy a 5010 or 6010 while they are still available. It's pretty clear that the 9G non-Elite Kuro's are a step backwards from the 8G equivalents in all areas other than the slightly better blacks. Please don't try to argue this point as there is no way around it. I give D-Nice credit for trying to put a positive spin on it all for the sake of continued sales for the forum sponsors, but reality is reality. Frankly, I hope that the 9G Elites review better than the 8G Elites, otherwise, the 9G's will have been a complete bust. If that turns out to be the case, and you really want the *real* performance of the landmark Kuro's, either get an 8G while you still can or wait with fingers crossed for the 10G Paneers. BTW, I put money where my mouth is and bought and 8G non-Elite Kuro. JMO...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks Everyone! I scratched just enough dough together to pull the 5020.

I may be eating mac and cheese for a while! But at least I will have a nice display
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,639 Posts
Invic2us, I think we're reading two different material. According to D-Nice, he would choose a 9G non-elite over an 8G non-elite AND a 9G elite. D-Nice made it pretty clear that it WASN'T just black levels that were improved. Colors (though slightly inaccurate) were more rich and generally were very pleasing.


There's no way the 9G Elites will be less impressive than the 8G line because nothing was removed from the settings or hard-coded in the 9G Elites.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
195 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Invic2us /forum/post/14167967


Based on D-Nice's review, I would run to Costco to buy a 5010 or 6010 while they are still available. It's pretty clear that the 9G non-Elite Kuro's are a step backwards from the 8G equivalents in all areas other than the slightly better blacks. Please don't try to argue this point as there is no way around it. I give D-Nice credit for trying to put a positive spin on it all for the sake of continued sales for the forum sponsors, but reality is reality. Frankly, I hope that the 9G Elites review better than the 8G Elites, otherwise, the 9G's will have been a complete bust. If that turns out to be the case, and you really want the *real* performance of the landmark Kuro's, either get an 8G while you still can or wait with fingers crossed for the 10G Paneers. BTW, I put money where my mouth is and bought and 8G. JMO...

I suggest you read it again. With some minor exceptions, the review indicated that the 9G non-Elite outperformed both his Panasonic 800U and his 8G Elite. Nothing about the review suggested that the 9G panels are a "bust."


Keep in mind that I'm not attempting to push one set over another. Just a comment about reading comprehension.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
17 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aetherhole /forum/post/14167993


Invic2us, I think we're reading two different material. According to D-Nice, he would choose a 9G non-elite over an 8G non-elite AND a 9G elite. D-Nice made it pretty clear that it WASN'T just black levels that were improved. Colors (though slightly inaccurate) were more rich and generally were very pleasing.


There's no way the 9G Elites will be less impressive than the 8G line because nothing was removed from the settings or hard-coded in the 9G Elites.

Frankly, most people here are in denial about the 9G non-Elites. Based on his review, this is how they were ranked:


Black Levels: 9G

Brightness: 9G

Color Rendition: Equal

Quality of Construction: 8G

Calibration: 8G

Picture Modes: 8g

Feature Set: 8G

HD Performance: 8G

SD Performance: 8G

Inputs: 8G


How can anyone say that the 9G non-Elite is better than the 8G non-Elite as a whole when the score is 7-1-2 in favor of the 8G's? Like I said, I'm hoping that is not the case with the 9G Elite's, for everyone's sake, or this may become known as the Pioneer generation to forget.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,983 Posts
Color Points

Quote:
Just like its predecessor, the PDP‐6020FD's user menu does not house any controls that can be used to properly calibrate the colors. On top of that, Pioneer has again chosen to hardcode the6020FD with a wider color gamut (Colorspace 1) which exceeds the reference HD Rec. 709 color space. The actual color points are remarkably similar to the 6010FD, with over saturated green and red primaries, greener yellow, and a redder magenta:


Not good. Why PIONEER would choose to not allow the owner to go in & tweak color til there hearts desire is beyond me..

SD Cable Performance

Quote:
SD cable viewing on the 6020FD was just as disappointing as SD DVD performance. Once again the 6020 presented a softer, less tasteful picture compared to my 1150HD. Watching SD channels with either Wide or Cinema stretch modes was at times annoying due to the soft picture and took time to get use to. Artifacts could easily be seen, regardless of channel. I know many will say that SD cable will always look poor at best on a 1080p display. However, I think the people deserve a little better than what the 6020FD can muster.

Maybe this will change once all providers go DIGITAL but until then.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
684 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Invic2us /forum/post/14168127


Feature Set: 8G

What is considered to be feature set? The 9G has the Home Media Gallery, which is absent in the 8G. And feature set should not include picture modes or calibration, as that is double-dipping.
Quote:
HD Performance: 8G

Huh? I read the review as: the 9G is clearly better for Blu-Ray, and it reveals all of the flaws in the cable feed.
Quote:
Inputs: 8G

Is this really worth a point?


So, I see the score as no better than 4-1-4, at best. But then, better black levels are worth more like 5 points, so it goes to 4-1-8 in favor of 9G.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,639 Posts
You don't seem to realize that certain points you have mentioned heavily outweigh other points.


Black Levels, Brightness are KEY, in many people's opinion.


Since the Color Rendition is equal, according to you, this is a wash.


Calibration, though is more limited than the 8G, movie mode yields an amazingly surprising accurate result. The same applies for Picture modes as well.


HD Content, I am not sure where you read that it was better on the 8G's.


SD Content, he is directly comparing to his 1150, which if I am not mistaken, is a 720p display. Apples to Oranges comparison.


Inputs? Aren't they the same number of inputs? Correct me if I'm wrong.


Quality of construction? Hmmm, seems so miniscule to me.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
17 Posts
Let me clarify:


Black Levels: 9G (seems clear enough)


Brightness: 9G (seems clear enough)


Color Rendition: Equal (wash)


Quality of Construction: 8G ("Fit and finish is top notch though although overall build quality is less than last year's PDP-6010FD")


Calibration: 8G ( no RGB calibration option in the SM of the 9G's it seems, HUGE IMO)


Picture Modes: 8g (9G's only have 1 usable picture mode, 8G's have 4, HUGE IMO)


Feature Set: 8G (seems clear, HUGE IMO)


HD Performance: 8G (9G has more marcoblocking on HD cable)


SD Performance: 8G (seems clear, HUGE IMO)


Inputs: 8G (9Gs' only have 1 component input, 8G's have 2, HUGE IMO - especially for gamers)


So there you have it. Argueably, one can make the case that the 9G's have better performance under ideal conditions, and only with Blu-Ray. Everything else in better with the 8G's. A real shame IMO.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
14 Posts
After reading the review , have to agree a little that it seems to indicate that the 8G has better SD 480i, and DVD 480p over the 9G. What is also clear is 1080p content the 9G is much better than the 8G. What is not so clear is cab/Sat 1080i/720p content. I still think the overall review was 9G was better, but it does have some short coming over the 8G, in input controls, and some SD (480i/480p) viewing quality... I might of read it wrong..
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,639 Posts
Alright, again, D-Nice is comparing the 6020 to a 720p display. Going from 720p to a 1080p of the same size will yield quite different results. So macroblocking and SD signals are not necessarily the most important things to take to heart from the review.


Yes, the lack of calibrations for the RGB in the SM put a damper on the 9G Non-Elite, but we'll see what he says about the 9G Elites. But he has made it clear that the 9G does incredibly well for itself even without those calibrations.


Having one usable picture mode seems less of an issue because once you have that one usable picture mode calibrated, isn't that what you want to use ideally? Most people, I think, want to set their displays to one setting and forget about it.


And again, let me emphasize that he stated that the Movie mode was incredibly accurate for a user mode, so why not just use that if you are looking for the best picture, anyway?


I'm a gamer and having only 1 component input compared to 2 does not matter in the slightest because I have my Denon 4308 receiver sending everything to the TV via a single HDMI anyway. A lot of receivers nowadays have some sort of conversion process to allow for this, but even if this isn't the case, having several component inputs on your receiver and sending the signal then through component to the TV seems to solve that issue.


You also forgot to mention the 9G panels are over an inch thinner than the 8G. Isn't that 'HUGE'?


What about MSRP's? 9G's have the 8G's beat. And even though you can find 8G's on sale for cheaper than their respective MSRP's, companies are still pushing to sell them for as much as they can before they push the 9G's.


You obviously have made up your minds about the 9G, but many of these things we are mentioning really weigh differently to many other people, too.


Personally I see more benefits to the 9G over the 8G.
 
1 - 20 of 139 Posts
Top