AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I spent the last three years renting a home with a large finished basement. In my 3 years here, I stuffed the basement with A/V gear equal to my salary - which amounted to: HC1500, A cheap non-HDMI Onkyo receiver (no model info at work) and a set of Rock Solid Solutions Speaker System (S100/C100/PB100) bought three years ago from a Craigslist ad. The only info I could find online was a review from 1997 CLICK

Given the wonderful housing market and generous handouts, I decided to buy my own place. The new place I moved into has no basement and the HT room I've been forced into is small or cozy as the wife says.

My goal - to make all of my equipment function well enough to pass this off as a DECENT dedicated home theater. I want to over build certain aspects to be able to handle upgrades down the road (SVS sub, new receiver, AE400000, etc).

Here are the room specs:

Cape Code Home

Bottom Floor

Crawl Space

No attic (room above)

Size: 135'' x 139''

2 Windows (#1. 48''x73'', #2. 44'' x 73'')

1 Closet (didn't measure yet - smaller coat closet)

1 Door

I've attached a VERY rough and poorly completed power point layout of my room

Any help or advice would be great.

1. At present I'm still trying to decide on how to run speaker wire (crawl space and pull up, or run behind crown molding)

2. I don't have seating purchased yet

3. I have not yet mounted the HC1500, but I'm shooting for a ceiling mount.

PS - Anyone in the NOVA area that is willing to give up their time for food and beverages - please feel free to lend a hand.

HT Layout.pdf 105.8505859375k . file

Attachments

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
Good Luck - but what are your questions ?

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
If it were my HT " I would get busy building it".

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by budk /forum/post/18147471

If it were my HT " I would get busy building it".

Give me a break! I just closed on the house two days ago! In that time I've painted the screening wall and ceiling black, the side walls in a slate gray, pulled up the carpet and started on the blackout cloth + window treatments. That to me is impressive for day two of home ownership. Now the Mrs. has been in the front room tapping her foot waiting for some paint help...

Priorities dear, priorities.

·
Registered
348 Posts
The first thing I'd do is gut the room completely. Find out what exactly is behind the walls, run any power/audio/video cables you need to, then insulate and DD & GG the place shut.

In that small a space, a pb12-nsd would be great. And, since you've now soundproofed the room as best you can, you can look forward to getting a second one down the road.

Good luck, and take your time. You'll be much happier in the long run if you have taken the time to get it right (or as close as possible) the first time!

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Todd Lee /forum/post/18148417

The first thing I'd do is gut the room completely. Find out what exactly is behind the walls, run any power/audio/video cables you need to, then insulate and DD & GG the place shut.

In that small a space, a pb12-nsd would be great. And, since you've now soundproofed the room as best you can, you can look forward to getting a second one down the road.

Good luck, and take your time. You'll be much happier in the long run if you have taken the time to get it right (or as close as possible) the first time!

Any idea what I'd be looking at on average for drywall? I could handle the demo part..

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
If you want to sub out all your drywall work you can estimate it at about $1 per sq. ft. of drywall.... very rough obviously, but it will give you an approx idea of the cost.

·
Registered
491 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by valdeztke /forum/post/18147961

and I thought that only applied to car and wife forums

I wish there was a wife forum!

·
Registered
491 Posts
Have you considered moving your screen to block the window in the middle of the wall?

I would lose the bar idea, only because of size limitations. IMHO

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzzybear50 /forum/post/18151081

Have you considered moving your screen to block the window in the middle of the wall?

Thanks! I didn't get the side window much thought - I suspect the room could get warmer in the summer and still want to retain the ability to open it.

·
Registered
6,993 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzzybear50 /forum/post/18151081

Agreed. I don't see any way to put a second row of any kind in a room that's only 11.5' deep.

Even if you put your seating up against the back wall, your main seating area will be about 9' - 10' from the screen. You might be better off just opting for a 73" DLP instead of projection. Easier, cheaper and the right size for that room.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.