AVS Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sorry, this is going to be a long post with a lot of measurements. Planning on finishing my basement soon and I want to build a small home theater. Here's my basic plan (some lines may not be to scale):

The problem is that there's an obstruction (my first floor's main beam) at 12' from the front of the projector shelf in the picture. My ceilings will be about 93" high, with a 14" obstruction at that point. I'm looking to have a 100" screen, which is 49" tall. I want to have 2 rows of seating, so that means I'll have a riser for the back row near the projector shelf. So what I need help with is figuring out if this is doable. Say I put the projector near 79" from the ground and adjust the lens shift so the top of the image is almost immediately below the beam. Let's say I have to go 1" below, so that's 78" for floor clearance and the image, giving me 29" of floor clearance. I'm not sure how that's going to work with the riser height to see over the front row. 93" ceilings are 7'8". If I need a 16" riser, that's down to 6'4" which could get cramped (I'm 6'4"). Where should I place the seats to maximize the viewing experience and minimize the height needed for a riser?

So what should I do? I'm not 100% sure on the width of the wall that the screen will be on. A 100" screen is 87" wide. With a 30" door to access the rest of the basement, that doesn't leave a lot of space to put front speakers. I'm also not sure where to mount surrounds and rears (7.1). I had considered flipping the theater around so that the projector is mounted in front of the main beam and projecting towards the shelves with a drop down screen, but that would put the beam directly above the seating and the screen would probably be off center because of the door into the basement.

Help?

·
Registered
72 Posts
Is your intention to have the screen on the long wall at the top of the image, projecting over a throw distance of 30 feet? The projectors I see can only do a 100" diagonal screen at a maximum throw distance of 21 feet.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjdupuis /forum/post/19602886

Is your intention to have the screen on the long wall at the top of the image, projecting over a throw distance of 30 feet? The projectors I see can only do a 100" diagonal screen at a maximum throw distance of 21 feet.

Sorry, the screen will be on the wall at 19'.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Here's an updated drawing with the projector and screen location flipped. The theater now is 18' long by 14' wide at the rear (12' wide at the front). This is a 100" screen. I'm liking this a lot more.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.