AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
292 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I finally got my home theater and rec room completed. The only thing left to do is to put the trim up around my equipment rack in the wall, and hang some signs. Half of my basement is a dedicated theater, the other half is a game room that opens to a hallway that leads to the stairs going up.

The screen ia a 106" HCCV Da Lite, and a Sharp 10k pj. I've had the pj for about two years now, and it's been awesome. Speakers are Axiom M60ti's and a VP150 center, surrounds are QS8's and a SVS PCi 20-39.

Now all I need is a Galaga game for my game room. :)

My pics

Thanks,

mikebaby

·
Registered
116 Posts
Mike-

How do you like the HCCV? Im looking into that screen vs the other grey screens and would like to hear your feedback. Also did you get the pro trim?

·
Registered
292 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I've been pretty happy with it. In hindsite with my projector choice, I think if I had to do it over again I would pick something with a bit higher gain, so that the picture would have a bit more punch to it, but It really does provide a stunning picture with my Sharp 10k. I don't have the pro trim, and don't think you need it. I see no overscan on the frame from the seating area, even though it does have a tiny bit the way I have it set up.

mikebaby

·
Registered
7,655 Posts
Nicely done. Now if we could just take down that Ohio State stuff and put up some Iowa stuff - it would be perfect ;) :D

·
Registered
6,327 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikebaby
I finally got my home theater and rec room completed. The only thing left to do is to put the trim up around my equipment rack in the wall, and hang some signs. Half of my basement is a dedicated theater, the other half is a game room that opens to a hallway that leads to the stairs going up.

The screen ia a 106" HCCV Da Lite, and a Sharp 10k pj. I've had the pj for about two years now, and it's been awesome. Speakers are Axiom M60ti's and a VP150 center, surrounds are QS8's and a SVS PCi 20-39.

Now all I need is a Galaga game for my game room. :)

My pics

Thanks,

mikebaby

Theater looks good but I would guess you are never done with these theaters. There is always something to get.

Do you plan to do any acoustic treatment to the room?

Love the sports memorabilia. I am going to have some in my non theater area of the basement as well.

Craig

·
Registered
292 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks,

You are right, you are never done with these theaters. Right now The next thing I want to get is a better DVD player. I have a five disc changer right now, and I either want to get a jukebox, or a single disc player, or both. The five disc changer just promotes me leaving crap (jewel cases) laying around the room.

I'm sure others would disagree with me, but I don't think the room needs any acustic treatment. I really have little to no echo, and everything sounds pretty much perfect to me, so why change what I'm happy with.

The Buckeye stuff around the room really makes that room a great place to hang out in. Unfortunately I don't have a big enough room for all of it. But that is what an office is for. GO BUCKS!

Thanks,

mikebaby

·
Registered
292 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by bpape
Nicely done. Now if we could just take down that Ohio State stuff and put up some Iowa stuff - it would be perfect ;) :D
Put up who? :D

mikebaby

·
Registered
6,327 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikebaby
Thanks,

I'm sure others would disagree with me, but I don't think the room needs any acustic treatment. I really have little to no echo, and everything sounds pretty much perfect to me, so why change what I'm happy with.

Yes, it probably does sound great to you right now, :D but the very nature of this hobby says you will be changing things down the road.

Years ago, I was very happy with my surround sound set-up in my basement of our first home. Now I nearing the end of completing my dedicated theater. I already want some kind of snack/candy counter to put my popcorn popper on. Then I want to make some kind of marquee that goes over the theater entrance.

Six months to a year from now, you will be wanting to tweak something else. :D Nothing wrong with that.

Craig

·
Registered
292 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Actually, I'd like to upgrade from my Marantz SR7300 to seperate monoblock amps, and a nice preamp. :)

mikebaby

·
Registered
7,655 Posts
Iowa - you know the ones that are ranked in the top 10... :D

As for acoustic treatments, to each their own. I'll just say that I've never been in a room that couldn't beneift from some. It's one of those 'you don't know what don't have' things. If you don't want to put them up, that's fine - just don't ever measure the room. IMO, for the money you'd spend on new amps or even changing DVD players, you can spend less and get much more improvement by dealing with the room.

Go Hawks

·
Registered
6,327 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bpape
Iowa - you know the ones that are ranked in the top 10... :D

As for acoustic treatments, to each their own. I'll just say that I've never been in a room that couldn't beneift from some. It's one of those 'you don't know what don't have' things. If you don't want to put them up, that's fine - just don't ever measure the room. IMO, for the money you'd spend on new amps or even changing DVD players, you can spend less and get much more improvement by dealing with the room.

Go Hawks
Mikebaby has a great looking theater. :)

It is only a matter of time before he starts thinking about making sound improvements and what not.

Everyone gets the upgrade bug. Some quicker than others. ;)

Craig

·
Registered
5,876 Posts
It is huge project and results are just gorgeous. Congratulations.

Sound treatment will make any room better but that is optional IMO.

Did you do all these or contracted out? How long did it take from start to finish?

·
Registered
292 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArtisTech
It is huge project and results are just gorgeous. Congratulations.

Sound treatment will make any room better but that is optional IMO.

Did you do all these or contracted out? How long did it take from start to finish?
Thanks!

The only thing that I contracted out was painting. All the framing, drywall, electrical, and finish work was done by myself and a couple of friends. All in all, I probably have about 14 or 15 full days of work down there. Unfortunately I only had one day a week to do it, so it took longer than I would have liked, but such is life. I do have a bathroom that we framed and hung drywall, but have not installed the toliet and sink yet. Right now it's storage. The real sad part was once I got my electronics installed, it literally took me about a year to get up off my butt and put the trim up. But it's done now.

mikebaby

·
Registered
7,655 Posts
ROTFL. I know the feeling. I was the same way with my trim. Once things are operational, it's easy to stop.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.