AVS Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I'm getting ready to finish out my basement and am looking to do a multiple room audio set up. Right now I am think of the following:

Zones:

Kitchen/Sun Room

Living Room

Bar

Gym

Patio

Inputs:

iTunes/MP3 Collection

Pandora

Spotify

Sirius Satellite radio

AM/FM from AV Receiver

Cable Box

I can get the speaker cable and Cat5e/6 to each location for speakers and control pads, and think this set up from HTD will work for me.

http://www.htd.com/MC66SET-KC7

I'm thinking I'll do a Logitech Harmony for each room to control all of the different components but I'm not sure what gear I need for the different streaming options. I see that the Squeezebox and Sonos both support different streaming options, but how user friendly would those be from a Harmony remote if at all. Also would I need a separate Sonos or Squeezebox for each input? I'm guessing I would as I would want all streams available at the same time.

Thanks for any help.

Dave

·
Registered
6,126 Posts
It appears to me that what you're giving up is metadata at the keypads - artist/song/channel/source info.

For the next step up in price, you should consider Sonos for everything. No need for wired keypads, either.

An iPad/Android tablet app is really useful too.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neurorad /forum/post/20767296

It appears to me that what you're giving up is metadata at the keypads - artist/song/channel/source info.

For the next step up in price, you should consider Sonos for everything. No need for wired keypads, either.

An iPad/Android tablet app is really useful too.

Neurorad,

After this post, I did a bit more research and was leaning towards still using the HTD set up with two ZP90's and the Sonos Control. My bar, gym and patio are all close together so the Sonos Control can be easily used for all three areas. My wife, myself and my kids all have either smartphones or iPod Touches, so I would use those in the other rooms to control the ZP90.

I'm not opposed to using Sonos for everything, but I'm not sure how it would integrate with Sirius, the cable box and AM/FM. But I am open to any suggestions on how to do it.

Thanks,

Dave

·
Registered
6,126 Posts
Sonos uses TuneIn.com (formerly radiotime.com) to provide streamed internet radio stations - basically it's a tuner that lets you listen to 50K stations from around the world, including most of your local stations.

I don't have Sonos, I have a Nuvo music server - which also uses TuneIn. No need for an AM/FM tuner, for most people.

Sonos provides Sirius/XM, streamed online. I'm not sure which stations are not streamed online, but there is a difference between the internet and satellite offerings. You'd have to research that.

Not sure how the cable box ties in, but I bet it's just an audio input from the cable box to the Sonos amp.

Maybe you can play with the Sonos controllers at Best Buy, and research the Sonos app online. My Nuvo music server iPad app is incredible, but it doesn't match the ease of use of the dedicated keypads, for power, mute, and volume control.

Whatever you decide, don't buy anything until you read the manuals and fine print. I've read of many, many people getting burned because of hidden limitations - they drop the cash and try to figure it out later. Know that it works up front.

I don't own Sonos or HTD devices, but I do know that Sonos can't be controlled easily with an IR remote. With 2 systems, you'll need 2 remotes. (I think Crestron, Pronto (now defunct) and Control4 have drivers that can control Sonos.) Spend a few hours on the Sonos forum to figure out the functionality of what you're proposing.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Neurorad,

Thanks for the input. I figured I'd have to go with two remotes. My problem is I want more inputs than what I want Sonos Zone Players, so I figured combining the two systems would be best. I'll have to stop by Best Buy and take a look at the Sonos stuff and do more research.

Thanks again for the help.

Dave

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.