AVS Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Been surfing threads for years now. Wife finally gave the go ahead to get started on new theater room in new house. Room located in basement in Minnesota. Cement floor, ICF foundation on two sides (front wall and left side wall) with stick frame 2x4 walls (back and right side).

Should I put any underlayment on the floor? I plan on having laminate and carpeting for floor covering. I will also have a riser with Clark Synthesis transducers as well.

The room is basically 21' wide, 8' high and 37' long. Want to start stocking up on supplies a little at a time.

Can I get by with R19 in joists with two sheets of sheet rock on the ceiling? Clips/hat channel seem expensive. I know the trade off. Just curious.

More questions to come. Thanks in advance to you "experts" out there.

RG

·
RETIRED theater builder
36,142 Posts
Sometime this last year someone reported their disappointment of putting two layers of DW directly on the ceiling joists and they felt it was a big mistake. It didn't do much. 21 x37 is a huge room how do you plan on using it?

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
BigMouth,

I'll have a 3' space on the front wall, then a false wall with acoustic fabric and the screen. I plan on placing the speakers behind the screen. 3 rows of seating with couch, chairs and the bar stools for site lines. It's a long room but would rather have too much space then not enough.

Is it better to go with OSB then sheetrock on ceiling/walls?

RG

·
RETIRED theater builder
36,142 Posts
I like OSB if you are going to need to hang a lot of interior finish details inside the room, Like a coffered ceiling for example, this is assuming your are using clips and channel and hitting the studs will be forbidden.

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I was contemplating not using clips/channel. Cost vs. outcome I guess. Roughly $6/clip x 100+ clips + channel. Is it worth it?

·
RETIRED theater builder
36,142 Posts
$6 is the BMW of clips, Most of my clients use the Honda. IB1 clips. Ask Ted White.

Yes it is worth it but we need to talk about the walls, HVAC, wall penetrations, and the door to make sure you have a comprehensive sound management strategy.

·
Registered
326 Posts
If I had that large of a room to begin with I would do a true room within a room.

Frame your walls so that they are freestanding from the existing walls and span your "ceiling joists" 1/2" or so below your existing ceiling with the bottom of the joist sitting atop your walls. 1st layer OSB / Green Glue / 5/8" drywall and eliminate the need for clips and channel.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Welcome to the fun. That is a huge room, and as I'm sure the experts will chime in, it will take a lot of juice to fill it with sound. Should be a fun project though!

Where in MN are you located? I'm about 40 minutes NW of the Minneapolis.

·
Registered
9,510 Posts
You should start designing with the number of seats you actually need. That is a huge space and ups the equipment ante

and finish costs considerably, or limits the potential performance capability that a smaller room at the same budget,

could give you.

Your eight foot ceiling height is a limiting factor for that large foot print, when you consider sightlines and a riser eating up

vertical space and limiting screen real estate.

·
Registered
758 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGmouthinDC  /t/1520006/basement-home-theater-build-for-a-newbie#post_24418948

$6 is the BMW of clips, Most of my clients use the Honda. IB1 clips. Ask Ted White.

Yes it is worth it but we need to talk about the walls, HVAC, wall penetrations, and the door to make sure you have a comprehensive sound management strategy.

I got the economy clips, I am pretty sure they were ~ $2.25/each. Hat channel was really cheap here, I got it for $3.01 each with TAX (25 gauge). I also invested something like $8 in a box of SPAX screws to secure the clips. So I think my total cost for clips and channel was about $100 for the ceiling. I used a chalk line to get all my clips lined up. Putting up the clips was the hard part (measuring, snapping, etc), installing the channel was very quick.

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks for all the help guys. I will try to get you some better numbers/ideas this weekend on the build. Djkest, where did you get your clips/channels?

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Nabukicks, I am about 2.5 hours south of the cities in SW MN.

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Here is a rough idea I came up with a few years ago. it is "rough" so don't make fun of me guys!
BasementPlan.jpg 76k .jpg file

Attachments

·
Registered
758 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbadbob  /t/1520006/basement-home-theater-build-for-a-newbie#post_24420802

Thanks for all the help guys. I will try to get you some better numbers/ideas this weekend on the build. Djkest, where did you get your clips/channels?

I got the clips from Soundproofing Company.

I got the Channel from a local drywall supply house. Much cheaper than HD or Lowes for drywall too. I think they called it Drywall Furring Channel; came in 12' lengths.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts