AVS Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all Audiophiles, i am new to the home theater world. I have been doing some reading online for last couple days and its so overwhelming to look at the different options/tech available. Can you please provide some recommendations?
I bought a brand new home with finished upper level and an unfinished basement, and the contractor is finishing up the basement now. I want to build a Media room and spoke to my local home theater store to come and do the pre-wire install for 7.1.4 Dolby Atmos. But i wanted some recommendations from you Pros on what components to purchase.

Is it better to purchase a 'Home Theater In a Box' all from the same brand(like Pioneer or onkyo etc)
(or )
Should i do Mix and match speaker brands to get better bang for the buck.

Required Setup: Based on what i read so far I was planning to go for a Dolby Atmos 5.1.2 (although i pre-wired for a 7.1.4 setup).
Room Dimensions: 12 feet Wide wall * 20 Feet Long * 8 Height. Seating to be near 14 feet with a 106 inch screen on the wall.
Type of Media: Listen to mostly Folk Metal/Nu Metal/Electronic Dance Music. Wife likes to watch movies/TV Shows(Mostly HD/4k Content from Netflix/Amazon Prime)
Budget: 10K is approved from Wifey, but can go upto 15K. I am ok to spend a premium for components that i can take along with me if i sell my home 5 years down the lane. But for anything which will stay in home, i dont want to go that crazy.

Here is what i found from my google research so far. Don't have a clue if all these individual components are compatible with each other though.

1) Speakers

Listener Level Surroud Package: Which one do you recommend?

a) SVS prime-tower-surround-system (Comes with 2 Towers, 1 Center and 2 satellite Surround): $1550
b) ELAC Uni-fi (2 UF5 Floorstanding Speakers, 1 UC5 Center, 2 UB5 bookshelf) : $1850
c) Sonus Faber Chameleon T( 2 Floorstanding speakers, 1 Center, 2 Bookshelf) : $3450

Overhead/Height(Dolby): I am going to pick Discrete speakers In ceiling as i have wiring. Which ones do you recommend?

a) Klipsch CDT-5800-C II 8" In-Ceiling Pivoting Speaker - $399 * 2 = $800
b) Definitive Technology UEUA/Di 6.5R Round In-ceiling Speaker - $134 * 2 = $268
c) Bose Virtually Invisible 191 Speakers (Pair) = $298.

Subwoofer:
a) Klipsch R-115SW 800W Powered 15" Subwoofer: $900
b) svsound pb-2000 : $800
c) Sumiko S.9 : $1000
d) HSU - VTF-15H MK2: $1000

2) A/V receiver (AVR) capable of Dolby Atmos:
Yamaha AVENTAGE RX-A860($900)
or
Denon AVR-X4100W($1500)
or
Should i go for a Integrated Amplifier from McIntosh Labs(Used) like MCINTOSH MA5200. I heard Macs last for a long time and i can get Used Mac equipment online on websites like audioclassics.com

3) Projector:
Epson Home Cinema 5030UB 1080p 3D 3LCD Home Theater Projector($2000)
or
Sony VPL HW45ES ‑ 3D 1080p SXRD Projector($2000)
or
Epson Home Cinema 5040UB 3LCD Home Theater Projector with 4K Enhancement, HDR and Wide Color Gamut. Soon to be released? ($3000).
or
JVC - Procision 4K e-shift4 D-ILA Projector - Black($4000)

4) Blu-Ray Player to play Dolby content:
OPPO BDP-103($499)

5) Projector Screen: Not sure which brand is good for projector screens. Cannot find a lot of info on these on google.
16:9 106-inch, Gray Fabric Tab-Tensioned Motorized Projection Screen from Monoprice($950).
or
Elite Screens Spectrum Tab-Tension, 100-inch 16:9, 4K Tensioned Electric Motorized Projection Projector Screen, Electric100HT($500)

6) Power Surge. Not sure which ones are good?

7) Control 4 or Logitech Remote: $500

8) Do i need a Dolby surround upmixer as well? I heard there is very less native dolby cotent available and with these upmixers i can upscale audio, but wondering if is it worth it? or should i just look for a good AV Receivers that upscale as well?

Sorry for the lengthy question. Any advise is appreciated.

Thanks,
Kon

·
Registered
816 Posts
I'm in the process of finishing my basement and I am waiting for the 5040UB real world reviews before I decide, though I am pretty committed to buying it.

106" at 14' viewing isn't very big. Is there something limiting the screen width? I'd go with a 120-135" for that seating distance. Do you need a motorized screen? I was planning a motorized screen too, but realized 90% of the time it would be down so I could watch the big screen, so I'm going with a big AT screen

I hear great things about SVS subs, unfortunately due to my screen wall depth I'm limited to a pair of SB-2000 or PC-2000. I'll end up demoing both to see which sounds best.

Control 4 requires professional installation/programming. They don't gear themselves toward supporting hobbyists. If you really want to tinker with control, look in to iRule.

·
Registered
3,991 Posts
I bought a brand new home with finished upper level and an unfinished basement, and the contractor is finishing up the basement now.

I am ok to spend a premium for components that i can take along with me if i sell my home 5 years down the lane. But for anything which will stay in home, i dont want to go that crazy.
Make sure the HVAC is good in the media room. It will get warm quickly with a few bodies and a projector in the room.

Modern AVR stuff dates quickly. If you sell in five years, you'll probably want to upgrade anyway. Put in what you want now.

·
Registered
4,078 Posts
Sorry for the lengthy question. Any advise is appreciated.

Thanks,
Kon
That is a relatively narrow room. How many seats are you planning for ? In a single row or two rows ? I'll tell you that two rows of seating requires a larger screen size so the second row doesn't feel like the cheap seats. I would go wall-to-wall with an acoustically transparent screen from Falcon screens hung 2' in front of the wall, leaving you with 18' of room depth. 160" diagonal 16:9 screen is 138" wide. The projector hung at the back of the room. Use the JVC RS400 4K projector and you will be able to use its motorized lens and lens memory to change the image size depending on aspect ratio. That will place your 14' seats at 12' which is about right for scope blurays on a 160" 16:9 screen. I currently sit 10' from my 122" screen and it is a bit small for scope blurays.

Other than that, I love my HSU sub, but your budget for other speakers is much higher than what I look for. I built my tower fronts from a friend's design to get $3000 speakers for $600 components, but that was 20 yrs ago. I don't upgrade equipment frequently, and I'm still happy with my 10 year old AVR although my pricey Parasound amp died after only 15 yrs.

·
Registered
93 Posts
But i wanted some recommendations from you Pros on what components to purchase.

Here is what i found from my google research so far. Don't have a clue if all these individual components are compatible with each other though.
1) Speakers

I recommend:

Main:
a) SVS prime-tower-surround-system (Comes with 2 Towers, 1 Center and 2 satellite Surround): $1550

Overhead:
b) Definitive Technology UEUA/Di 6.5R Round In-ceiling Speaker - $134 * 2 = $268

Subwoofer:
b) svsound pb-2000 : $800

2) A/V receiver (AVR) capable of Dolby Atmos:
b)Denon AVR-X4100W($1500)

3) Projector:
Epson Home Cinema 5040UB 3LCD Home Theater Projector with 4K Enhancement, HDR and Wide Color Gamut. Soon to be released? ($3000).

4) Blu-Ray Player to play Dolby content:
OPPO BDP-103($499)

5) Projector Screen:
I concur with recommendations above. Get a AT screen and put speakers behind it. The bigger, the better. Silver Ticket Screens has some good options. Around $500.

6) Power Surge.
Anyone will do. You just need to protect your equipment. Monster makes some fancy ones that will do the trick. Also, look in to Belkin.

7) Control 4 or Logitech Remote: $500
Logitech Home Control remote...you won't regret it.

8) Dolby surround upmixer
The receiver recommended has some very good processing if you need it. No need for additional equipment.

Total price of all equipment would be appx: $8,000

This setup will not disappoint. Happy hunting!!!

·
Registered
308 Posts
Any DIY abilities? can really stretch your dollar per component, components that compete with those significantly higher price range for a fraction of the cost

pretty much takes some ability to glue, sand, prime, paint, and a few small holes. honestly just about anyone can do it, well worth the rewards when you turn it on

diysoundgroup.com

LCR - Fusion 8s or 10s. Anything above that would likely be overkill in your space
Surr/Atmos - any of the volts (6/8/10)
Sub - Dayton RS15 Cube Kit
(quick price check for the fusion 10s and volt 10s with the sub - ~1850 and together would likely blow away everything you've listed above)

4100w looks good

I have a similar dimension room, i run a 128.5" screen, would almost go bigger

Sony 45es

And as others have mentioned i would absolutely go AT screen and put the center behind the screen

surge protector - APC P11 has great reviews, own one as well

love the harmony smart control. simple remote for wifey, if you need to get into the meat and potatoes, open your phone and go to work

·
Registered
540 Posts
What I would do in your situation ...

As mentioned , losing a little space with an false wall would be very wise ...

If you're having a single sofa for just you and your wife it won't matter too much , and even if your building a 2 row theater you could have a smaller screen as you'll be all sitting closer !! :D

But the real beauty of it is , you can build out about 3 feet and fit some quality speakers and ugly deadening behind it !!!

If this was my room I'd be looking at a pair of older audiophile speakers that aren't so pretty , or even a beat-up set , and they could be placed and deadened perfectly for 2-ch audio listening .
There's a set of kef 104-2 with beat-up wood for around 150 , and an immaculate set for 500 on my local craigslist . This is the kind of thing I'd be looking at ...

The center and rears etc take over for movies , and luckily kef make some great in-cieling speakers so it would be a matched set ....

I'd love another set of meridian m3 BBC monitors some day .
I'm not sure about the music you listen too , so they'd probobly need transparent subs , but they'd be prett awesome for the music I listen too and would be more than enough for l+r channels for movies .

Another thing is the heat as somebody mentioned allready .
With a false wall - fans , air-con , extractors etc can be built in and hidden along with the ugly old English wooden boxes ;)

As an all-in-one-unit An Oppo DVD would be a good choice for music and DVD , but personally I'd go with the 105 for its audio capabilities .
Dolbyvision/HDR is the latest trick , so there are more available used at the moment than there normally are , and Maybe there will be Oppo-direct deals once the new models come out .

As for the receiver , I'd stretch to 2k and find an online bargain 7200wa . (Accesories4less , Ebay etc) .

Depending on the speakers you choose , you may also need a 2-ch power amp to keep up on "stereo duties" .
The kefs I'm talking about I'm sure you'd be more than happy with , but they need good clean power , and a bit of work to get the synergy flowing .
But where glorious once they were at their optimum ....

I looked at the 7200 but I'm currently using an Emotiva , and they have a few on sale for 1600 or so on their website .
You'll need power-amps for all speakers if you go the pre-pro route , but seeing as music is the primary concern it's much the same as the Denon in that you'll want a 2-ch for stereo , but whereas the Denon has amps build in for other channels , the Emotiva has none so you'll have to factor the cost of amplifying the other speakers in , even if you use much cheaper amps .

In my mind it's worth it , as with surround sound you get immersed in the "whole experience" so notice any audio discrepancies less .
Plus you may end up taking it a step further with the Denon and adding power amps for all channels later anyway ...

The Emotiva isn't atmos at present though , but will have a factory upgrade soon so that buys me time to fit my ceiling speakers .

I wish I was building a basement theater then I would have to worry too much about easthetics ... The emotive upgrade will be out before I have finished my stealth install of the atmos speakers I suspect ;)
Plus I could get away with "ugly wooden box British speakers" that sounded better 30 years ago than the "pretty" ones I have to use in my front room ...

As for the remote .
Don't worry about it too much .
Most things have 12v triggers to turn everything on fron one thing being turned on , and even if they don't you can buy xantech or Niles etc trigger boxes .
The latest thing is eco-outlets/power-sensing-outlets that do the same thing to a certain degree , but the real neat stuff is I-devices plug-ins and a Philips hue-light so you can use voice controls like Siri to "Siri , please turn my theater on" !!
Almost every component manufacturer has an app now anyway these days ....

And while we're talking about that , power conditioners have timers and triggers built in as well .
I've always used furman for music stuff , but nowadays they have a "home" version .
Can't remember the name .
And apc/Schneider sell decent ones too .

My system uses l+r front + 1 front sub for music , and using the Emotiva programming and triggers It automatically turns on all surround speakers and another 2 subs when it detects a movie .
Anything is possible these days ....

Hope this helps in some way .

1 - 7 of 7 Posts