AVS Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

Okay so im new here and i dont know much about speakers...I have a new basement which i am planning to turn in to a home theater...I wanted some advice on the sound system i should buy...the size of the room is 31' by 17' so its fairly large i think and HTIB wont provide good sound at all...i Chose the Optoma HD-LV 25 for the projector and a subwoofer and receiver..However i need a good 5 speaker system which will provide good sound for around $1-1.5k..this is for the 2 front speakers,1 centre speaker and 2 surround speakers.

The subwoofer is POLK Audio PSW505 12 inch and the Receiver is Yamaha Rx-V375...so i have about 1000-1500 dollars for 5 speakers to make a 5.1 system complete.

Thank You. :)

·
Registered
1,880 Posts
That's a decent budget and should get you some pretty good sound.

I would take a listen to the B&W speakers in your price range...

Four of these and the matching center would put you slightly over, but they sound fantastic. http://m.bestbuy.com/m/e/product/detail.jsp?skuId=1277364&pid=1218246226126&pcatId=abcat0205001

They make a 5" version as well that would fall within your budget and also get great reviews.

There are also plenty of DIY options out there that can really get you a great bang for your buck if you're handy and enjoy that sort of thing.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

Thanks alot for the reply :) but i was hoping to have some good floorstanding ones for the front and 2 surrounds for the back

·
Registered
374 Posts
The value of floorstanders is questionable when you are using subs.

I would rather get better monitors than lower quality towers for the same price.

Also as mentioned above, DIY is a the best option on a budget.

www.diysoundgroup.com

Go to the waveguide speakers section.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

Would the following setup provide decent audio in the space i have mentioned??

Polk audio TSI 400 front

Polk audio cs10 centre

Polk audio tsi100 rear

PSW505 12 inch subwoofer

yamaha rx-v375 Receiver.

·
Registered
374 Posts
How do you define decent.

If you are listening at mellow levels, probably ok. Loud in that size space, not so much with those choices.

·
Registered
48 Posts
I've got a good sized space and wanted a theater system in your budget. Got to researching speakers on the forum and ran across the BIC Acoustec thread. I was familiar with BIC from back in the 70's. After listening to some horn systems vs standard speakers at a number of places (unfortunately none had the BICs) I decided I like the horn sound better. I was debating between the BICs or spending a bit more and going with some HSU Research speakers. Ended up with a complete 5.1 set of BICs http://www.acousticsounddesign.com/core/view_BigProduct.cfm?pid=1539&sc=27 with two additional surrounds for 1349 total after the "make offer" discount.

They sound great to me. I brought my stereo snob friend, who has over 10K into his electronics alone and had been listening to B&W 802s for years then downsized to some powered Paradigms you can't even get anymore that supposedly sound fantastic. He was expecting to hear mush, was extremely surprised, said he couldn't hear much difference.

You've got options, hardest part is hearing all of them. I took a leap of faith and it worked out for me.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts