AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
384 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I currently have an unfinished basement that I would like to turn into a home theater room. The walls and floor are just concrete and the ceiling is just duct work and support beams. Unfortunately, I don't have the skills to finish it myself nor the funds at this time to have it finished.

What is the possibility of using this room as is for a home theater? I planned on getting area rugs for the actual viewing area and painting the walls a dark purple.

My big concern is the sound field. Would having concrete cause too many problems with the sound?

Thanks in advance,

Jason

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
You could certainly try it though most people (myself included) will tell you that having nothing but concrete all the way around will likely cause some havoc with your audio.

That said, maybe you can get creative and cover the walls with temporary carpet or foam or something to help lmit the problem? Not sure just throwing that out there.

It might be worth your while to start working on it, you'd be surprised at how quickly you can learn things. If you work on it as budget allows it will come along (slowly as my own budget limited reno is showing) and utimately will likely be more of what you want in the end.

·
Registered
384 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
What type of foam should I use? What type of problems can I expect? Boomy bass, phase interference?

·
Registered
54 Posts
Quote:
If you are planning to start building a dedicated theatre in your basement start slow and plan your budget.
I agree. I would recommend starting by setting an overall budget limit. Then, plan out what you can realistically do for that budget. If you stick to your plan and budget, you will make noticeable progress. If you say "I'll spend $X a week until I'm done" without a plan, you'll likely spend much more than you'd originally wanted and take longer to get something done.

Quote:
What type of problems can I expect? Boomy bass, phase interference?
I had an empty basement before I started. I played my radio and practiced my trumpet in the basement with abysmal results. The sound was very muddled and echoy, and could be heard throughout the entire house. (No flaming my trumpet playing!) LOL :) I can't imagine a home theater with all its volume being better.

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
Quote:
I agree. I would recommend starting by setting an overall budget limit. Then, plan out what you can realistically do for that budget.
Yeah then double it. :D

·
Registered
111 Posts
Curtains are a great alternative... Although heavy curtains in itself can be pretty expensive. Set a budget, and a deadline. You will learn what you need in the process. If you want it bad enough, you can do it. I finished mine in 2-3 months, with a 3500$ budget (everything from the electronics to the Dryawll, to the Burlap)

·
Registered
46 Posts
I am in the process of helping a friend build a dedicated home theater room in his basement. I would have to agree with others in saying that if you don't mind living in a construction zone, build little by little, when the money comes in. The only thing I would suggest is do your shopping on materials. I got quotes for the lumber and drywall from four different lumber yards before we ended up at Lowe's (Major Hardware Store Chain). He ended up saving about $300 overall, including delivery. Talk to your friends, find out what they know and can do construction wise, make a weekend (or two) out of it.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.