AVS Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am working on my Basment HT which will also be used for video gaming and general TV viewing. I started with the plan to use front projection and drop down screen (The screen would drop in front of an older 60 "RPTV HDTV). I thougt the gaming and TV watching would be done on the RPTV and the screen could drop in front of it for Movies.

I was browsing and found the 80"+ mits RPTV and started thinking that this would require less space, be easier to use for my kids and the screen less prone to damage.

The finished room is about 21' by 12' with 7 1/2' and 8' ceilings, no windows, controlled lighting with the screen on the 12' wall. This wall's useable space is actually 8 1/2' due to a 42" x 36" closet at the left

I'm looking for some input from those that have either if the RPTV at that size is equal to or maybe 8/10 of an FPTV at around a 90" screen in performance/WOW factor.

Thanks

-

·
Registered
1,902 Posts
For wow factor, I'd say go even bigger... 100"-110". I think your room is big enough to handle it, especially being totally light controlled.

I've never seen an 80" TV, but I've seen a 73" and it was huge. It was nice but not nearly as impressive as a good FP setup. It was also kind of bulky.

I have a fixed frame screen with projector. We use it as our primary TV as well as for video games and movies. I can't imagine getting much use out of a RPTV or even a largish flatscreen in a HT environment if there is a projector involved as well. I'd always have the big screen down. Plus, with a fixed frame screen, you could simply mount it flush to the wall.... the biggest space saver of all.

·
Registered
6,718 Posts
I too when I first began this journey was going to go RPTV. There are some advantages to RPTV such as one unit, no screen, and in some cases cost. However the advantages IMHO are outweighed by the limitations of RPTV. Viewing angles is the biggest drawback. RPTV's require you to sit in a "cone" to get the best picture and sitting off angle greatly reduces the picture quality. The size and weight are also negatives trying to shoehorn something that unwieldy can/could be a big hassle and you are also limited on your screen size. A 80" RPTV will always be 80" where a projector can be 60", but it can also be 160". I would and have decided to go with the projector for the WOW factor and the flexibility of what a projector can bring, plus I don't have to worry about bringing a behemoth of a TV into the basement.

Good luck.

Regards,

RTROSE

·
Registered
635 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by moneypit /forum/post/16929082

I was browsing and found the 80"+ mits RPTV and started thinking that this would require less space, be easier to use for my kids and the screen less prone to damage.

I don't think this would require less space. Those RPTVs are freaking huge. I can't even imagine how big an 80" one is. Combine that with the injuries sustained from actually getting it into your basement...no thanks.

Honestly, I don't think they are easier to use either. They both have power buttons and input selections. The only difference is a little warm up time on the projector. A universal RF remote, or IR repeater setup, will fix any usability issues. Additionally, a screen on the wall will sustain WAY less damage than a big box in the room with some kids.

Quote:
Originally Posted by moneypit /forum/post/16929082

The finished room is about 21' by 12' with 7 1/2' and 8' ceilings, no windows, controlled lighting with the screen on the 12' wall. This wall's useable space is actually 8 1/2' due to a 42" x 36" closet at the left

I'm looking for some input from those that have either if the RPTV at that size is equal to or maybe 8/10 of an FPTV at around a 90" screen in performance/WOW factor.

You won't beat a 100+" screen for WOW factor...not a chance. The fact that there are no windows helps out the projector setup greatly. If you do a lot of TV watching while doing other stuff though, you will need to decide on a projector with higher lumens...that way ambient light won't affect it as much.

I can tell you there is nothing better than playing 4 players on Halo with each player having their own 50"+ section of the screen to play on. Pretty sweet.

·
Registered
3,886 Posts
I thought about doing a drop down screen in front of a 57" lcd screen in my basement. After a lot of consideration and some advise, I wound up doing a 108" fixed screen with a optoma hd-65 pj. The whole setup was around 1k with the screen and cables. I am happy with my setup. I know some people who game on their pj's and love it. I am not a gamer.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
A lot of great replies here, most inline with my orignal thinking. My older 60" rptv is postively large and yes, moving it to the basement was a chore.

What got me thinking about these new Mitsubishi's was seeing them in person. They are no were near the overall size of my 60" - and that's with the added screen size. My 60" took three good size guys to move and it has wheels. The new sets seem very easy to move by two people given the quick in showroom lift of one end (not something done on my older RPTV).

The other thing I did look for was the off center viewing issues and again, I did not see it to be an issue as on my older RPTV.

Now there is the size and wow factor of a 100"+ screen. That's tough to argue.

Thanks for the comments.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts