AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
406 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I posted this in the Dedicated forum by accident last week and needless to say it didn't get much press so I'm giving the correct forum a shot in hope of some constructive feedback.

Got started about 2 weeks before Xmas and now that I've got some progessive pics to post up... Here we go

Unfinished view from the stairs (there is another room around the corner to the left)

Studded view from the stairs

Unfinished view from the sliding door

Same shot but studded (bar is going in the far left corner, Lcd is being mounted on the wall against the stairs to the right)

Unfinished shot of the office(maybe future bedroom) with bathroom in the far left corner

Same angle with studs, french doors will divide that room

Bathroom

Again, TV is going on this wall towards the left of this picture (a tight squeeze, I know) with a recessed component shelf centered underneath it.

·
Registered
406 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
And, here's a fresh update of a side shot of the future bar header

A shot of the finished bathroom plumbing

Here's a shot from the bar with a sorry attempt of me trying to portray where the TV and component shelf will go

·
Registered
474 Posts
So far its looking good. What are the dimensions of the basement?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5harkology /forum/post/0

And, here's a fresh update of a side shot of the future bar header

A shot of the finished bathroom plumbing

Here's a shot from the bar with a sorry attempt of me trying to portray where the TV and component shelf will go

·
Registered
406 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by misterkit /forum/post/0

So far its looking good. What are the dimensions of the basement?

I'll have to look at my notes, but I do know that the main room (bar/TV area) is ~26 x 12 unfinished. The office/bathroom area is probably a little more than half that size.

·
Registered
406 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottJ0007 /forum/post/0

Wow! Great progress. Are you doing this yourself?

Keep the pics coming. It is always great to see a room come together -- and it is an inspiration to those of us who work a bit slower.

- Scott

Actually, I have to admit... I have done a very small margin of this work

A friend has done approximately 90% of the work so far during the day while the wife and I are at work. He has done an excellent job and is doing my wife and I a tremendous favor.

On another note, does anyone have any suggestions for isolating the sound from leaking upstairs. We are doing a drop ceiling and I'm considering stuffing some insulation in between the floor joists, is this even worth doing?

·
Registered
651 Posts
I've gone to great extents to isolate my entire basement from the main level of my house. I used RSIC clips with hat channel and two layers of 5/8 drywall with greenglue in between. I built light boxes with full isolation on all recessed light cans and liberal use of caulking. In addition, I went to great measures to isolate my HVAC system and doors.

I'm thrilled with the results. I can crank my sound system up to uncomfortably loud levels and it is barely audible in the rest of the house. However, with sound isolation, I believe it is an "all-or-nothing" proposition. Sound isolation is only as good as the weakest link.

If you're interested, I'll post more details. Let me know.

- Scott

·
Registered
342 Posts
Don't get discouraged with the lack of replies, most people open the thread, take a look at the pictures, and wait for updates. Just because they don't reply, doesn't mean that they aren't following your build. (I hope not, I'm not getting many replies on my thread!
)

Your basement has a lot of potential...I love the walkout patio doors, that is something that I wish I had (Patio parties, walk right into the theater...sigh..)

Anyways, keep us updated with the pictures!.

·
Registered
342 Posts
As for the insulation in the joists, I think that it is a good idea. I stuck R20 in my joists, and I think that it, coupled with drywall, muffles the sound to an extent. I would think that drop ceiling would achieve even better sound isolation.

Scott is absolutely correct, however, that sound isolation is only as good as the weakest link. I can hear the music playing downstairs, and it mainly comes from the basement door, which is just a regular interior door. The funny thing is that it has to come all the way to the front of the house, then up the stairs and back to the back of the house, but I hear it from there, not through the floor.

·
Registered
406 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks for the input guys. Do you have any further suggestions regarding isolating the noise from the furnace area? Unfortunately the rear of the component shelf will open right up into the utility closest. Are there any tricks I should know about as far as trying to keep the sounding from blowing right up the stairs. I also have a rinky-dink door at the top of the basement stairs which will not block any sound.

·
Registered
7,656 Posts
Definitely fill all cavities surrounding the room with insulation. Otherwise, you'll have not only less isolation but also some potential resonance issues.

The room looks like it will be a nice place to hang out. Keep us posted.

Bryan

·
Registered
406 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by bpape /forum/post/0

Definitely fill all cavities surrounding the room with insulation. Otherwise, you'll have not only less isolation but also some potential resonance issues.

The room looks like it will be a nice place to hang out. Keep us posted.

Bryan

Thanks, what type of insulation would you reccomend?

·
Registered
651 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5harkology /forum/post/0

I also have a rinky-dink door at the top of the basement stairs which will not block any sound.

You might consider replacing the current door at the top of your stairs with an exterior grade solid core door with and exterior jamb and full weather seals and a good sealing threshold. A good door will make a huge difference.

·
Registered
1,241 Posts
What breed is that white dog? I don't think I've seen one like that before!

It's not that hard to replace a door. If you find that's your weakest link, you should consider fixing that. I also second the suggestion to insulate what you can.

·
Registered
406 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Does anyone have any specific drywall tips? I've already done 2 coats of mud in that room over the weekend and done one corner bead. The corner bead is what I don't feel to confident with... I have been doing a layer of mud, applying the metal corner strip, putting a couple tacks in it, and them mudding over top. Is there anything I'm missing? Specifically, does anyone have tips for doing corners where 3 corner strips meet?

1 - 20 of 37 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.