AVS Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2,441 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been house shopping for new construction and wondering which I would be better off with:

1) a perfect rectangle 20 x 30 extra "great room" with cathedral ceilings added onto the first floor -or-

2) the same house without the room, but with an unfinished basement.

The price is the same. The basement would have more square footage, but it would also be more chopped up because of support poles, stairs, mechanicals, etc. I couldn't get 20 x 30 usable space out of the basement and may not get symetry either.

Is there anything inherintly problematic with a 30 x 20 demensions and/or cathederal ceilings? Is it a good size for a dedicated HT? Are basments better for HT?

·
Registered
500 Posts
How much extra sq ftg are we talking about if you get a basement ? Do you have a drawing that we can see to compare ? How many people do you want to be able to seat in the theater ? Would the 20 X 30 room be close to bedrooms ?

PS ... if you are building new there are ways to eliminate teleposts if they really interfere with a room ( especially if you are building from scratch )

·
Registered
9,510 Posts
The basement has an added advantage of not consuming 600 square feet of lot.

At equal expense, a basement also offers up additional storage space and more square footage.

·
Registered
197 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rabident /forum/post/15577589

I've been house shopping for new construction and wondering which I would be better off with:

1) a perfect rectangle 20 x 30 extra "great room" with cathedral ceilings added onto the first floor -or-

2) the same house without the room, but with an unfinished basement.

The price is the same. The basement would have more square footage, but it would also be more chopped up because of support poles, stairs, mechanicals, etc. I couldn't get 20 x 30 usable space out of the basement and may not get symetry either.

Is there anything inherintly problematic with a 30 x 20 demensions and/or cathederal ceilings? Is it a good size for a dedicated HT? Are basments better for HT?

Just a thought, but you may want to consider planning on both. The great room is perfect for everday living - watching TV, reading, playing with the kids, family/friends gatherings, etc. More open, more light, view of the yard...

The downstairs theater is more of a purpuse bult room - to watch movies. Generally offering better acoustics, light control, isolation from the rest of the house, etc.

You have so many options with new construction. Finishing an 18 x 24 space in the basement would probably only add $20K or so to the final purchase price. OTOH if you have grander aspirations the room could cost significantly more.

Good luck with your decision.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts