AVS Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm finishing my basement and looking for some advice on placing speakers for a 7.1 system. Room dimensions are 14'7" x 19'11", with the TV wall mounted on the 14'7". Opposite the TV, however, there is no rear wall as the basement flows into a rec area (think future pool table) and then some bedrooms. What is an ideal 7.1 setup in this situation? To be honest, the fronts and left/right surround seem straight forward, but the rear surround I'm struggling with since I want to avoid speaker stands. That being said, any advice in terms of ceiling vs in-wall for the surrounds and fronts would be appreciated.

·
Registered
4,965 Posts
To get proper left to right placement it seems your only alternative would be to go with in-ceiling speakers behind the primary listening position. Many companies offer MDF backboxes for their speakers to maximize their sound quality. Hopefully the company that makes your other speakers offers an in-ceiling variety that is timbre-matched to your other speakers. If not, I would look toward the higher-end of the in-ceiling speakers, something that can easily reach 80Hz or lower to get proper crossover in your system. Many in-ceiling speakers use small drivers with limited extension and low power handling capability.

·
Registered
4,850 Posts
In your position, I'd consider two things;

1.) utilizing ceiling mounted rears

2.) forgoing the rears entirely and consider additional width speakers at approx 60degrees off of center.

Fellow AVR'er extraordinaire, Craigjohn utilizes width speakers and it's detailed here .

Also, this discussion details some of the attributes.

I'm an advocate of ceiling mounted surrounds and rears, and have had great results in that manner. I wouldn't recommend in-ceiling speakers unless there were no other options. Also, as I mentioned above, a system with just the two surround speakers (whether you implement width speakers or not) will be quite satisfying. I used that scenario for many, many years, and the extra two rears only adds a small benefit subjectively. Whereas we're quite well able to benefit significantly from the added effects associated with width speakers.

Either way, you'll be fine.

Good luck

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the responses!

My current surround sound system is an Onkyo HT-SR800 . However, it is 5 years old and a little flaky so I'm not really attached to it. The audio randomly cuts out for a half second sometimes, and one of the coax/optical inputs is busto. It's not a huge deal because I only have 3 inputs to worry about (DirectTV box, XBox, and Blu-Ray), but it will be eventually.

I had never heard of height/width speakers before, I'm liking the concept of the width speakers instead of rear surrounds. That being said, I'm the type that likes to future-proof if I can, so I may have wires run to all the speaker locations so that they're available if I want them. Then at least I can say I have wires ran for an 11.x system

Are there specific specs that a height/width speaker should have, or would my current rear surrounds work?

Also, it would appear I may need a new receiver to support that. Which types of sound decodings (terminology? Dolby Digital, DTS, etc) support width/height/rear surround?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
My intention is to do a 7.1 setup right now, but since the basement is unfinished I have an opportunity to get wires in while the ceiling and walls are open. I'm years away from actually adding that many speakers. Maybe what you're saying though is that even if I run wires I won't know where they should go until after I have the 7.1 setup complete??

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.