AVS Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I have a new house that I am adding a PJ setup to an open entertainment area... which equates to compromises.... Anyhow, I am adding to it in stages and have the good ol' speaker placement question.

Explaining the picture:

- Projector is mounted behind the wall (room is 19' deep)
- 124" screen on the top wall (green)
- Existing speakers: Infinity Alpha L/C/R/Sub (Will have to sell my 4 alpha bookshelves as they dont fit)
- Yellow is the couch/loveseat. Couch is the main listening area and not concerned about the loveseat at all.... we probably will angle it for movies, etc
- 9' ceilings
- Equipment is in the linen closet

Phase 1: 5.1
Should the rear's be:
1) In ceiling (red)? Is there a certain style of in ceiling speaker that works better for this?
2) In Wall (blue)? Again is there a certain style of in-wall that works better?
3) Do both and be 7.1....?

Not sure which is a better compromise: rears being angled down and being correctly to the side of the MLP vs rears being correct vertically and 6' up but behind the listener.

Phase 2: Atmos (and a new receiver :( or is it :) )
Do those purple circles look just about right?

Thanks, and any other recommendations are welcome :)
-Todd

PS: other pics are old, screen is framed and have added a box/trim to the projector hole.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
I would go with either in-wall or wall mount for 5.1 at or slightly above ear level then in-ceiling for atoms..

I was under the impression that for atoms to sound good, you want separation between the surround and atmos speakers to create proper height effects..

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I would go with either in-wall or wall mount for 5.1 at or slightly above ear level then in-ceiling for atoms..

I was under the impression that for atmos to sound good, you want separation between the surround and atmos speakers to create proper height effects..
That is what I was leaning towards as well, but most of what I have read here has been theory. So was curious if anyone has tried the all in-ceiling approach?

For the rear in-wall approach, leaning towards these: BIC America FH8-W, any other suggestions, do I need to try to match the fronts (Infinity Alphas)?

Thanks for the help,
Todd

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
OK,

So I taped the locations to the walls/ ceilings and have been voted down on the rear wall placement.

So, with just in ceilings, should I:

A) Do just the sides (red)
B) Do the sides(red) + the rears (purple)

(locations look ok?)

Also, what kind of speakers do you recommend? Should the sides/rears be aimable (sides aimed over main user, rears pointed where???), or just point down?

Lastly, should I just completely rule out Atmos at this point or would different speaker types make it useful still?

Thanks,
Todd

1 - 6 of 6 Posts