AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 51 Posts

· Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, I have finally gotten around to posting this (although I should be in the basement working
).

Starting from the top, I have a 3050sf basement with 9 foot ceilings. There are lolly columns throughout only giving me a max between columns of 15'. I KNOW I have the room to make a "dedicated" theater but that was not my goal. We throw parties quite a bit and want to make the theater screen veiwable by most people in the basement (i.e. superbowl etc.). We will watch movies as a family as well. This is a general purpose entertainment basement.

The Good

With that said, I am "only" finishing 2000sf of it. I will have a fifth bedroom with walk in closet and bathroom, a game room, a bar with lounge, a poker room, a theater, and a community bathroom. When I say game "room" or poker "room" understand that they are "areas" and open to the other areas.

The bar and theater go hand in hand so it allows people sitting at the bar to view the screen. There is a kneewall behind the theater seating that separates the bar seating and the theater seating at 36" high.

The Bad

My theater is only 14'3" wide. It allows for around a 150" screen (including speakers and columns. However, back at the seating area, the surrounds will be very close to the edge of the couch (I think within 18"). There is also no dedicated component room. The components will be place into the void between the community bathroom and the theater. Haven't figured access for that yet although my choices are either a pocket door from inside the bathroom or a small 18" door next to the bathroom door. I'll figure it out soon enough.

The Ugly

The only ugly is the cost of everything! Other than that, I love it so far.

Theater Setup

I am VERY realistic on costs for home theater. However, with that in mind, I want to get the best bang for the buck (don't we all?). My last theater I had a HTIB by Onkyo which was actually a hell of a lot better that I expected. The only thing that disappointed me was that it couldn't go louder (it was plenty loud for my wife
). My goal this time was to piece everything together. Another goal was to buy the speakers and build my own boxes. I am really open to everything. If all else fails, I will go with another HTIB. At this time I have my eyes on the ONKYO HTS9100THX 7.1 Channel Home Theater System.

I have already purchased an Optoma HD20 projector. I will make my own DIY screen as I did for my last theater and was VERY impressed by the results (also equals more money to audio). In addition, I purchased 4 Auro Pro bass shakers.

The theater is 14'3" wide and 21' from the screen to the kneewall behind the couch. There is a window to the left side of the screen that will be completely blacked out and light tight. I have 3 or 4 feet behind the screen to work with as well.

With the information you have, please feel free to fire away with questions or comments. Please don't turn this into a pissing match about opinions...please state yours and your reasons for it.

My budget is......well my wife wants to keep it as inexpensive as possible however I want something that will shake the house! We are looking at about 50% movies, 30% TV, and 20% music.

I will be posting pictures soon.

· Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Attached are pre-constuction pictures.

· Registered
202 Posts
Looking forward to following the progress. Looks like a great space!

· Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Framing pictures attached.

· Registered
2,862 Posts
Welcome to the swamp!

Now for some playful jabs to show you that you are one of the gang.

First, I don't think you have near enough room, with only 3,000 + sq ft and 9' ceilings!

Second, good thing you already bought your PJ, as you obviously need that first thing, before you even get construction started. Please make sure you get that sucker operational ASAP - that should help expedite the work!

Good luck!

· Registered
635 Posts
Do you have a screen planned for the poker area? I would think the fellas will want to have something to watch after they fold their hand. It just doesn't look like you have a view to the screen from there. Maybe a little flat panel is due for that area?

Also, you have a 3000sf basement and you are thinking HTIB? Ummm, no.

BTW - before they get too far, better start wiring, running cables, planning your lighting, etc... I would think lighting would be a monster for this much space. You are going to need general lighting for the whole space and then each space should have it's own controllable lighting.

Seriously, where do you live that you have a 3000sf basement? Damn. I'm not jealous at all, I promise.

· Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I live in Colorado...S/E of Denver. Believe me...I am as excited about the basement size as you are! We got a smoking deal on the house (7350sf) due to the economy. We were able to sell our other house on the first day for full asking price. Pretty much lady luck was with us!

As far as the poker room, yes there will be two flat panels in there. As far as wiring, I am working on ductwork right now...once that is done and I can finish framing the ceiling, then I will start the theater wiring/conduit phase. Lighting for this is, well, a pain in the ass. Not difficult, just a whole lot of it.

· Registered
50 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpdeuce /forum/post/17924441

...you have a 3000sf basement and you are thinking HTIB? Ummm, no.

This.

I guess you could argue that the theater itself isn't that large? But I'm with JP in that a dedicated theater deserves the proper hardware.

Good luck with the build. I'm looking forward to following along.

· Registered
1,074 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by hosejockey61 /forum/post/17923579

My theater is only 14'3" wide. It allows for around a 150" screen (including speakers and columns. However, back at the seating area, the surrounds will be very close to the edge of the couch (I think within 18").

I have already purchased an Optoma HD20 projector. I will make my own DIY screen as I did for my last theater and was VERY impressed by the results (also equals more money to audio).

I don't know projectors very well, but something to consider: will the Optoma HD20 projector fill a 150" screen in your space? And by "in your space" I mean a non-isolated (so not completely dark) room like yours?

While it may make me a flame target (hold on while I put on my fire-proof undies), would you consider a smaller screen? Then you could put in two rows of seating with a riser in front of the knee-wall you have planned. With 21' of space you would have plenty of room for two rows of seating - with the front row at "ideal distance".

· Registered
1,074 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeerParty /forum/post/17926053

While it may make me a flame target (hold on while I put on my fire-proof undies), would you consider a smaller screen? Then you could put in two rows of seating with a riser in front of the knee-wall you have planned. With 21' of space you would have plenty of room for two rows of seating - with the front row at "ideal distance".

I know you have already started framing, but...

If you have the space, instead of a knee wall between the bar and the theater space you could build another freestanding section of bar facing the screen. Several people have done this; Big's theater is the best known. There are several to see in the Dedicated forum.

· Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeerParty /forum/post/17926053

I don't know projectors very well, but something to consider: will the Optoma HD20 projector fill a 150" screen in your space? And by "in your space" I mean a non-isolated (so not completely dark) room like yours?

Yes it will, hence the fabric on the wall to get a rough estimate. According to the projector central calculator, it will be on the edge of recommended brightness. I've already placed the PJ in the location and it will work just fine! I had to take it down right away though or work wouldn't get done

As far as seating, I have an oversized couch with huge ottomans that seats my family of six very comfortably...almost like laying in bed. The WAF is good with it as she gets to snuggle under a blanket with me (I can't believe I just used the word "snuggle"). Second row?....well, just not sure if i want that or not, but probably not at this time.

As far as the bar, I like having the kneewall there as this keeps the tipsy people far enough away. The space between the bar and the kneewall allows them to swivel between the bar and the theater. There will be a high lip on the kneewall to prevent spillage on the people sitting on the couch.

As far as screen size, if I need to make it just a little smaller in order to fit everything properly, I will.....otherwise BIG!! lol

· Registered
73 Posts
thats HUGE!! hope you have help!!

· Registered
373 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpdeuce /forum/post/17924441

BTW - before they get too far, better start wiring, running cables, planning your lighting, etc... I would think lighting would be a monster for this much space. You are going to need general lighting for the whole space and then each space should have it's own controllable lighting.

The deuce has it right again. We are just finishing up our basement, which was about 2,000 SF (and 8'3" ceilings), and we put up 36 halogen spots. That included our main area, a home office, craft room, kid's playroom, bathroom, guest bedroom, hall, etc. Might as well take the time to figure it all out and even plan for zone lighting and lighting automation...

· Registered
1,074 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by hosejockey61 /forum/post/17926789

Yes it will, hence the fabric on the wall to get a rough estimate. According to the projector central calculator, it will be on the edge of recommended brightness. I've already placed the PJ in the location and it will work just fine! I had to take it down right away though or work wouldn't get done

As far as seating, I have an oversized couch with huge ottomans that seats my family of six very comfortably...almost like laying in bed. The WAF is good with it as she gets to snuggle under a blanket with me (I can't believe I just used the word "snuggle"). Second row?....well, just not sure if i want that or not, but probably not at this time.

As far as the bar, I like having the kneewall there as this keeps the tipsy people far enough away. The space between the bar and the kneewall allows them to swivel between the bar and the theater. There will be a high lip on the kneewall to prevent spillage on the people sitting on the couch.

As far as screen size, if I need to make it just a little smaller in order to fit everything properly, I will.....otherwise BIG!! lol

Sounds like you are way ahead of the game as far as planning goes - good for you. I'm subscribed so I can see what else you have planned (so I can steal, er, borrow, ideas for future use). Good luck, and keep those pictures coming!

· Registered
5,055 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhuttman /forum/post/17928480

The deuce has it right again. We are just finishing up our basement, which was about 2,000 SF (and 8'3" ceilings), and we put up 36 halogen spots. That included our main area, a home office, craft room, kid's playroom, bathroom, guest bedroom, hall, etc. Might as well take the time to figure it all out and even plan for zone lighting and lighting automation...

which type of job do you hvae where you can afford 2000 SF basement many people do not have 2000 SQFT in home wow

· Registered
373 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by elmalloc /forum/post/17930191

which type of job do you hvae where you can afford 2000 SF basement many people do not have 2000 SQFT in home wow

It's a bungalow, so the basement footprint is the same as upstairs... And the finished space (not including furnace room and back storage room) is about 1,400 SF.

· Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I work for a fire department and my wife works for a financial corporation. Since I only work 10 days a month (24 hour shifts), it gives me a lot of time to get work done here. The hard part is getting pulled at by four kids and a wife for attention. Most of my work gets done in the day before everyone gets home. I am doing this project with minimal help. I subbed out the electrical rough so far and will also sub out hooking up the furnace and making sure it's tuned properly. Later down the road I will also sub out tape and texture of drywall. I can hang it no problem but the finishing part sure is an art to get it done right.

· Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Somebody on this site inspired me with this site for DIY speakers http://www.htguide.com/forum/forumdisplay.php4?f=6

Those Khanspires sure are impressive. I would still like to go the DIY route and I would be most comfortable with a proven speaker such as these. Lots of research to do now.

· Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I need to check with local codes, but I think I maybe able to frame in the window next to the theater screen and just eliminate it all together.....if that's the case, consider it done. Any opinions on that?

1 - 20 of 51 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.