AVS Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, so, I did a lot of reading, and this is the layout I've come up with. I didn't want to put the side speakers directly IN people's ears, so I've moved them forward. Any suggestions? The projector is 1080p so I HOPE that the 8ft distance from the eyes to the screen are enough, I'd REALLY like to move the couch BACK, just to make more space, I want to put a table there too.... but I don't want to disrupt the balance between rear and sides. What's the minimum distance between rear/sides?

·
Registered
5,454 Posts
I really think you should consider a 5.1 setup for your small room. Placing the side surrounds in-front of the listener is a poor option, they need to be "off the shoulder or slightly behind the shoulder" of the listener.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Do you have any suggestions for a 5.1 layout? I've done zero research on that. The bipoles in the back MUST be used for something, they're Definitive Tech and costed me a lot. The satellite speakers are just cheap Klipsch so I don't mind ditching 2 of them, it would make a cheaper upgrade for me anyways.. 2 less speakers to buy.

Would my 7.1 setup work if I moved the sides to that location, behind the shoulder? Or is that still too close to the listener?

·
Registered
5,454 Posts
I think two experiments are in order:

1. move the side surrounds back to "slightly behind the shoulder" and give the 7.1 setup a try

2. then try the bipole speakers in the side speaker location and leave the rears out of a 5.1 setup

find a movie scene that really challenges the surrounds and use the same scene for both experiments - try to be consistant and see which your ears say is best....

·
Registered
2,495 Posts
^^^ Agreed.

To add on if you are going to do 7.1 the bipoles should be used for side surrounds and your direct firing speakers should be used for rear surrounds. As stated move the side surrounds back. They should be 90 to 110 degrees to the listener. Surround speaker height is recommended to be about 2 to 3 feet above ear level. So right beside the listener won't have the speaker right in their ears. The recommended distance is a minimum of 3 feet behind the listener for rear surrounds. Check out dolby.com and thx.com for their speaker layout suggestions. All you can do is work with the room you got and just do whatever you think sounds best.

Good luck.

·
Registered
211 Posts
One other placement option that may work for you:

I've got a 5.1 setup in a 11' wide room. I have my dipoles in the back corners at 45 degree angles and like the setup. I tried both that and positioning them to the side of the listening position and preferred the 45 degree corner placement.

·
Registered
13,166 Posts
Have the side position specifications changed? I thought it used to be something like +/- 20 degrees from the listening position... In any event, I have mine a hair in front of the listening plane and they sound OK to me, but I am not a terribly critical movie sound guy. My rears are further back. I have had both 5.1 and 7.1 in my room (roughly 13.5' wide and 17.5' long, listening spot a little less than half long the dimension from the front wall) and while 7.1 sounds great on the few BDs that really use it, 5.1 was fine for 90+ % of the movies (and about that many are 5.1 anyway).

For a 12' x 12' room I would do 5.1; I think getting the sound right from the sides and rears would be a challenge when they are so close together. Note you are going to have some significant room modes in a 8' x 12' x 12' box... Also, the assymetric front wall is going to mess with your imaging. Personally, I would flip the room and put the screen and mains along the "back" wall to give the L/R more room, and mount the rears with one where your R speaker is now and the other an equal distance from the side wall on the other side. Of course, that's a lot of furniture in that small space, too...

There are pictures of various setups and suggested speaker placement on the Dolby website (or were; I have not visited recently).

·
Registered
13,166 Posts
Bookmarked, thank you sir.

Alas, I cannot set up ideally in my room... I may measure the angles tomorrow just to satisfy my curiosity, however.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.