AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I hope some of you may be able to give me some ideas and suggestions for wiring my basement theater area. I would like some help and maybe avoid some GOTCHAS.

I am including a picture of the basement layout. I will have the screen at the bottom of the picture along the wall. This will not be solely a dedicated theater so I will be putting in normal seating and/or a couch towards the back of the theater. I will not be building a riser or anything of the sort. It will be a theater room but I would also like to use it for other things as well, but mainly theater stuff.

If anyone can offer lighting suggestions and optimal placing for lights, wall speakers, etc. I want to future proof as much as possible. I think I would like to put a screen size of around 100" in up front. Have my standing speakers next to the screen and somehow put a center channel speaker below the screen. Not sure if I should try to put up some sort of stage or not.

Any help or thoughts would be appreciated.

I will include a visio drawing as well in case anyone wants to mark something up for me.

Thanks
Visio download here

http://jamda.org/pics/basenew.jpg

·
Registered
3,261 Posts
Well definitely consider some sort of reliable protection against the door opening and hitting the screen/left speaker. Given that it's a main walkway that close to a screen, you'll want to keep people away from it. A stage would serve both of the above functions.

Try for the center channel above the screen, as that's preferred over being below it (if possible). Put the side surrounds somewhere around half-way back, perhaps slightly more, and two rear surrounds each a few feet off center on the back wall.

The rack location looks good -- good use of space under the stairs, and is in the back of the theater.

As long as you're doing a soffit on either side, just run a soffit all the way around the ceiling and perhaps due a tray ceiling, with rope lights around the top. That'll give it a great theater look, and make it seem intentional, instead of two soffits that seem to be just covering something (HVAC) up.

Consider either can lights, or sconces with dimming control. Maybe rope lights along the bottom of a stage, but the ability to dim those as well during a showing.

Good luck -- it looks like a great space to work with!

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Tim - thanks for the reply.

Is putting a soffit all the way around the room the traditional thing to do? how do you add a tray to the soffit?

If I were to put a soffit at the front of the room where the screen is, would there be enough room under it to fit a center channel speaker and still have the screen at a optimal height?

Does anyone else care to comment?

Thanks

·
Registered
3,261 Posts
1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.