AVS Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
402 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,

We just purchased a new home, and I have decided to start my efforts on our basement. I already hung a 42" plasma on the wall, but have yet to run my speaker setup. That's where my first question comes in. The room I am using has a ceiling that is highest on the back wall, and comes down three levels to the wall the TV is on... which is short at 78". I was hoping to do a retractable projector screen that drops just in front of the TV, which currently sits about 8" away from the wall at its face (I can buy a lower profile mount from Monoprice if necessary). The problem with this is going to be speaker placement. I have a bunch of Paradigm in-wall and in-ceiling speakers that I was hoping to utilize to save room as the basement is only 12' 4" deep... so I have to conserve space. I have four CS-160 v.2 and twelve CS-60R v.2 that I can use. I was hoping to use three of the CS-160's as my front and center channels. I currently have three projector screens that measure in at 98", 105" and 130" diagonal. I was planning to use the 105", but that may be too much at my viewing distance (~ 11' 6"...what are your opinions?). If I do use the 105" screen that leaves the bottom of the screen about 27" off the ground. Is this too low to mount my in-wall speakers and still achieve good sound quality?

My second question is about my rears. I am going to have a hard time fishing the wire towards the back part of the room to utilize the CS-60R's in the ceiling... would they sound ok if I put the rears in the back wall instead of the ceiling so I don't have to worry about getting the wires through the headers? I would put them on the side walls, but the right side facing the TV is open so I could put one in the left wall, but not the right.

My third question is regarding my sub, it is the Paradigm PW-2100 v.2... but it does not have the normal single wire sub input I am used to, it has the left and right RCA's for inputs. How would I set this up through a receiver that has the digital out for the sub?

Also, I posted the following question in the DIY speaker section, but haven't gotten any response yet... so I'll throw it in with this post. I want to build boxes for my in walls but I do not know what size to build them. The wall that holds the fronts backs up to our sub basement, so I have complete access to the back of the wall as it's not finished on that side... which means I can build a box as big/small as needed.

Thanks in advance for any help!

·
Registered
402 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Sorry to bump the thread, but I have one more question.

Since I have four of the CS-160's, three of which I was planning on using for my fronts... could I use the fourth and stack it pretty much directly on top of the center or next to it if I go vertical orientation (same model/speaker), or would this cause problems?

·
Registered
4,204 Posts
1) Use an AT screen.

2) I'm not a fan of in-ceiling speakers for the surrounds. In a 5.1 system surrounds go to the side and slightly behind the listener. In 7.1 the rear speakers are on the wall. You can pop off the baseboard to run wire behind, or all crown and hide it that way.

3) Subs are mono so just connect your sub wire to one or the other input.

4) Contact the speaker manufacture to see what they recommend. Size matters.

5) Some people do a double center and mount one above and the other below the screen. Do-able yes, but possibly more complicated to get it right.

·
Registered
402 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathan /forum/post/16914560

1) Use an AT screen.

2) I'm not a fan of in-ceiling speakers for the surrounds. In a 5.1 system surrounds go to the side and slightly behind the listener. In 7.1 the rear speakers are on the wall. You can pop off the baseboard to run wire behind, or all crown and hide it that way.

3) Subs are mono so just connect your sub wire to one or the other input.

4) Contact the speaker manufacture to see what they recommend. Size matters.

5) Some people do a double center and mount one above and the other below the screen. Do-able yes, but possibly more complicated to get it right.

Thanks for your replies, they really answered most of my questions perfectly! I thought about doing an AT screen, but since I have the plasma hanging on the wall already I can't do a fixed screen. Are there any good drop down AT screens?

·
Registered
1,974 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dooomi /forum/post/16914594

Thanks for your replies, they really answered most of my questions perfectly! I thought about doing an AT screen, but since I have the plasma hanging on the wall already I can't do a fixed screen. Are there any good drop down AT screens?

Elite has the CineTension 2 electric screen which is available in AT fabric.

http://www.elitescreens.com/product_cinetension2.htm

·
Registered
402 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by In2Photos /forum/post/16914695

Elite has the CineTension 2 electric screen which is available in AT fabric.

http://www.elitescreens.com/product_cinetension2.htm

Thanks a ton, I'm looking into it now! I clicked that link at work and the audio started with my speakers cranked... I almost fell out of my chair!

Edit: What kind of picture quality degregation can I expect with an AT screen?

·
Registered
1,974 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dooomi /forum/post/16915369

Thanks a ton, I'm looking into it now! I clicked that link at work and the audio started with my speakers cranked... I almost fell out of my chair!

Edit: What kind of picture quality degregation can I expect with an AT screen?

LOL!

If it is a good AT screen you shouldn't notice any degradation. The Elite screens are pretty decent from what I have read.

·
Registered
2,880 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathan /forum/post/16914560

Be careful with this. Having two speakers vertically (or horizontally) aligned playing the same material is a perfect recipe for comb filtering. If you don't go with an AT screen, my personal opinion would be to just use a single center speaker.

CJ

·
Registered
402 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJO /forum/post/16921586

Be careful with this. Having two speakers vertically (or horizontally) aligned playing the same material is a perfect recipe for comb filtering. If you don't go with an AT screen, my personal opinion would be to just use a single center speaker.

CJ

Yeah, I steered clear of that after thinking about how the sound waves might interfere with each other. I got the speakers in the wall last night, but the sound just isn't right. I think it's because the wall they are mounted to is open in the back to the sub-basement... so basically the enclosure is a huge concrete box. Now I'm trying to figure out how to best build enclosures to remidy this.

·
Registered
4,204 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJO /forum/post/16921586

CJ

Oh. I completely agree. I would never personally do it given the use of an AT screen, but that wasn't the OP's question. Just answering that 1) it's possible and 2) it's difficult to do right.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts