AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well folks, I've tried the "search" function and have come up dry on my ventilation issue. Here are the particulars...maybe somebody has an idea to help me!

I have a 15'x22'x7.5' area in my basement that is going to be dedicated for home theater (approx. 6-7 people capacity). Planned front projector, with components built into a cabinent beneath the stairway that leads upstairs. I currently have one small (1.5'x 2.5') window in one corner. My house is heated by forced hot water by oil, no central A/C.

My concern is the air circulation in this room. I plan to insulate the interior walls (outside walls are studded and insulated, compliments of my builder) and in between the floor joists in the ceiling. Just what do I do when there is no ductwork (as my heating system does not utilize it) for air flow? I am stumped and I thought someone may have run across this problem in the past.

If anyone needs more info about this room, let me know!

Thanks in advance,

John

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
Simple

You add your own ductwork and a fan or two wired into the theater system to create air circulation when the theater is in use. Flexible duct and in line fans are both available from Lowes or Home Depot.

Exhaust warm air from the ceiling and supply fresh air near the floor.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by JSwarce
Well folks, I've tried the "search" function and have come up dry on my ventilation issue.

John -

I was doing the exact same type of search this past weekend, and ended up searching on "HVAC" and got plenty of good information. Don't forget to change the "Show threads from" setting to "beginning" - mine defaults to only the past two days' posts.

I am going to go with a room-to-room exchange with another room in the basement by installing an in-line fan from here that someone else recommended. I like that it's a two-speed fan, in that I am not entirely sure how much air movement I'll want. The fan will feed two supply ducts low in the front of the theater and then I'll put one larger return in the rear ceiling of the theater.

Upstream from the fan, I plan to have two different intake vents from two different rooms in the basement - one that'll be insulated/heated, and one that won't be. Then I can draw air from either room depending on what the heating or cooling needs are.

Good Luck with your search.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Spike:

Thanks for the link. Now why didn't I think of searching for "HVAC"???? D'oh!

It sounds like I will have to re-think my floor plan to incorporate a ventilation system for the theater room. I had thought about a fan unit to vent hot air from the equipment closet to the outside (similar to a bathroom vent), but didn't consider the room itself. Sometimes I feel like I have got in over my head, but this forum (and its members) has been a great source of information.

·
Registered
766 Posts
I felt the same way. There are a lot of things to consider beyond the projector and screen. The right choice for me was to work with Dennis Erskine. He designed the room layout, provided electrical specs, and through our dialogue he helped me with many other issues.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.