AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
720 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Moving into a townhouse in 3 weeks and it comes with a full basement. My fiance is making me put my theatre down there and was wondering if you guys had any ideas to make a basement sound better? The basement has two "rooms" that are separated only by the stairs. The one I will be using is roughly 12ft wide by 20ft deep and 8ft high. The other "room" is about 10 ft wide and 20 ft deep, so I will be using the larger "room". What is terrible is the duct work that is in the ceiling of the basement. I'm sure that's going to sound great with a subwoofer! I will probably be picking up an Infocus X1 to put down there so that room should be plenty big for a nice-sized screen. I just can't figure out how I'm going to make it sound decent.

This is only a temporary move for us. The longest we will be living here is 2 years, then we will be buying/building a house. There is no way I can use an upstairs room; otherwise I would. This is my only choice and I don't want to do anything permanent to this place so just picture a plain-jane basement and that's what I'm working with.

As always, all input is GREATLY appreciated!

·
Registered
344 Posts
Are you planning on sheetrocking etc? Even if you're not going to stay long, you could probably do this to increase your resale value. This would also be a way to insulate those heating ducts.

·
Registered
340 Posts
Since your duct work is in the ceiling, what about installing a "drop ceiling" and throw some insulation above it (between the drop ceiling and duct work) ? The only downside I can think of is that you would now have a 7' ceiling, not an 8'.

·
Registered
720 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well we will be renting this townhouse and I don't want to do anything permanent. I don't make a ton of money (but will in a few years when we're done with school) so I don't have money to throw into it. I have some nice speakers that provide a ton of bass and will also be adding a powered woofer down there for the LFE. I'm mainly worried about the bass and how it will sound resognating through the duct work. I did have a setup back home in the basement and it sounded horrible. Anytime there was a sub 70hz tone all the duct work would rattle. Do you think I could do something cheap like put foam over the duct work to bouce back the sound waves or will that not work? I'd like to make it sound better for under $100, or is this not feasable?

·
Registered
340 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Mazeroth
Do you think I could do something cheap like put foam over the duct work to bouce back the sound waves or will that not work? I'd like to make it sound better for under $100, or is this not feasable?
Hmmm, what you really need is a contractor friend (if you have one). When you say ductwork, are you talking about the sectional metal kind thats rectangular, or the tubular kind that isn't metal? Sorry, those are the only two I know of.

If it's the metal kind, check all screws and hangers for tightness. And I don't see why you couldn't pack foam around it either.......

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.