AVS Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 1950's Ranch with a full basement. There is a sump pump on one side of the basement. And on the other there is a exposed ' pit ' cut in the slab to access the main drain clean outs for the sewer.

The only 2 spots i have water coming into the basement are at this ' pit ' ( pictured below ) During heavy rains this will fill with water, due to the drain tiles ends being exposed there, and surrounded by earth.

And about 5 feet away from the sump pump where the previous home owner drilled a 1/2 or so weep hole into the bottom cynderblock and carved a ' trench ' in the cement slab for the water to be directed into the sump pump.

Now, to the questions!

As mentioned, I had found while looking in this exposed pit with the clean outs that my basement ,presumable , has old 50's style clay drain tiles around the basement. I can see them on either side of the ' pit ' and they do fill with water during heavy rains, further causing this ' pit ' to fill.

Im not sure why they just end here, it looks like they saw the main plumbing drain for the house was in the way and they just stopped there. Shouldnt they be connected all the way around? How would i go about connecting them around my main drain pipe? go under it???

Now on the other side of the basement where my sump pump is these drain tiles are NOT connected into the sump pump. I do not see any large holes cut into it with the pipe entering like you would standard PVC perimeter drains.

What should i do with the pit area? should i cement it closed ( as high as i can still being able to access the clean out?

dig down and install draining rock and a small sump pump and basin and pipe it out?

How would i go about routing around this drain pipe if i need to ' connect them ' ?

On the side with the sump pump and weep hole I plan to dig up about 10-15 feet on both sides of the sump and try to tie into the clay drain tiles with modern PVC drain pipe, tie into a new sump basin and pump.

Also i'd like to install that membrane that goes a foot or 2 up the wall then down to under the slab, so that the weep holes drilled flow right from the hole in the blocks to the drain tile... [ WHAT IS THIS WALL MEMBRANE CALLED???? ]

Pics to better help explain.

THis is the ' trench ' the previos owner carved into to let the water from the weep hole he drilled route into the sump pit

No clay drain tiles tied into my sump basin.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Well, the most correct answer is to install an entirely new perimeter drain and sump system, but that takes money which you can use to buy a/v equipment!

I would suspect that the cleanout area is as much a victim of water coming from outside the clay pipe as it is from water flowing inside (in fact, I can see a misaligned section in that one photo). So connecting the old clay pipes will not likely get you any relief. Likewise, cementing in that area would probably not give you a watertight seal, and you'd likely end up with water on top of the new cement. Your cheapest route is to put in a second sump in that area.

As for the trench from the weep hole, it depends on where the water from the weep hole is coming from. If it is possible to 'lower' the hole below slab grade, then a proper drain trench (remove a channel of slab, stone base, drain pipe to the sump, cement over top) on that short run would be an option.

·
Registered
521 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by alecmcmahon /forum/post/19637588

Also i'd like to install that membrane that goes a foot or 2 up the wall then down to under the slab, so that the weep holes drilled flow right from the hole in the blocks to the drain tile... [ WHAT IS THIS WALL MEMBRANE CALLED???? ]
Cactus Board and Cove Drain appear to be two specific versions. Basement Systems also has one called DryTrak which appears to mount on top of the slab.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks, I've decided to go ahead and just install a brand new perimeter drain around the entire basement with modern pvc.

It's been raining heavy for 2 days straight here in NJ and since i've got all the walls gutted in the basement i am noticing some additional trouble spots, so i've decided to just get it over with.

Those membranes are along the right line, i recall seeing something a little bigger though, it came in rolls. It was a little wider and you were able to go up the wall like a whole foot or 2, as well as down under the slab.

But now since i have decided to install a new perimiter drain, how do i go about routing around the current plumbing thats in the floor, do i go under it? or just cap it off when i get there?

also, what should be done with the exposed pit? should i cement it shut up to the clean out port?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts