AVS Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5,212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know the accepted construction methods for waterproofing a basement in the southeast? I know this is an often asked question here on the forums for existing construction, but I haven't seen it asked for new construction.

My builder is planning to apply a waterproofing membrane to the poured concrete walls and then adhere r-board to the membrane. Put in a french drain, and backfill with gravel. Slope the finished grade away from the house, and then pipe the gutter downspouts away from the home. I've read that this is one method, but I'm wondering if anyone has any advice on whether or not this is enough?

·
Registered
5,212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by tlogan6797 /forum/post/20881382

I would think so, provided no critters are able to crawl up there, die and clog it up.

Although I think HeyNow^ set his up like that on purpose....that's some GOOOooood eatin'!

MMMMMM....... Do you try to get 'em while they're fresh, or let 'em sit for a while?

·
Registered
5,212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I spoke with the local building inspector, and without prompting him as to what my contractor's plans are, he basically recited the same waterproofing strategy. He did mention adding a "filter" layer of backfill and possibly fabric to make sure we don't get sediment intrusion, but that it's not absolutely necessary in this area due to the clay soil type.

So, looks like this is the SOP here. I do need to follow up with my builder and find out what type of membrane he plans to use as that greatly affects the longevity.

·
Registered
59 Posts
I would at least put on the platon membrane, or equivalent. Here minimum code is spraying tar on the foundation, which unfortunately is just "damp proofing".. I would probably go all out and have a rubberized membrane sprayed on, followed by a drainage membrane. In our subdivision, the weeping tiles all go to the city storm sewer, which means we don't have a sump pump to worry about, which is nice

·
Registered
594 Posts
I'm adding an addition to my house now and have just done the waterproofing. In my case I went with ICF for the basement which came with a "peel and stick" membrane. I went over this with the dimple protection which in itself would have been adequate. I used that mainly for backfill protection to the peel and stick membrane. I would add the dimple stuff if I were you -it's fairly inexpensive and will be an added layer of protection.

·
Registered
5,212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Wow. It's amazing the amount of information (and possibly misinformation) on the internets about waterproofing a basement.

So far, it seems that there are too many different spray on membranes to count. Some offer damp proofing, some offer waterproofing. Some are difficult to apply, and others easier.

After that, there is the issue of what to use for the membrane protective layer. As mentioned previously, the dimpled matts have become a popular choice, but it looks like they do the same thing as some of the other rigid boards, which is to provide a hydrostatic break between the ground water and the concrete walls. This is making my head hurt.

I guess the next step for me will be to find out exactly which product my builder is planning to use, and try to decide if it seems to be an accepted industry method.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.