AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am getting ready to purchase components for my home theater. Is a front projection set up a good choice for al viewing environments? If I just want to watch the news or other basics, am I going to want to fire up the projector. Would I be better off with a large rear projection, and if so does it make more sense to purchase one with a built in hdtv tuner?

·
Registered
366 Posts
Bear in mind, when considering a FP that you must have control of your room lighting. I have an FP. We use it for watching DVD's. Thats it. If we want to watch dss or anything else we watch on a direct view in the living room. I would recommend an RPTV, if you only have one room for TV. You get big picture but if your signifcant other wants to read, they can still do it in the same room. If you already have a living room or family room with a TV, then by all means go with an FP. Some here, also use both in the same room..(not at the same time) with a regular direct view and an FP, using a motorized screen. In regards to your HDTV question....depends on if you are going to watch HDTV on it :) If you are, I'd go with one with the tuner. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
904 Posts
I currently have a 53" 16:9 HD RPTV. It is our primary TV and in our living room. We watch directv probably 60%, HD 25% and DVD 15%.

That said, I'm very happy with the TV but would not make the same purchase today. IMHO directv isn't a good enough picture to view at such a size and I would have rather kept my 27" TV for that and gotten a digital projector for DVD and HDTV, which would give me an even better picture for my best sources and keep the TV picture looking good.

A digital projector like the NEC LT-150 can be had for ~$2500 and a screen for ~$300, will produce a great image for DVD and HDTV, and also works very well with an HTPC. You can get a perforated screen that will hide your speakers and TV while you use the pj. Of course, you will need some light control when using the pj. while it will be brighter than most CRT pjs, it will work best in a darkened room.

If you do go the route of RPTV, I would choose a separate STB tuner because there are so many advances being made with this young technology that you will probably want to upgrade easily in the not too distant future.

jake

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
After looking over my room again, I am seriously leaning toward the front projector with a secondary tv for regular viewing. The room is already painted and is khaki. There are only two small skylights with internal shades. Is this going to cause problems with the projector. How dark does it need to be? Does anyone know anything about the Scenium TV from RCA. I have checked one out on the web and it looks pretty good.

Thanks for the great suggestions, it will be a long process getting this room put together. It is 28 by 22, and will be multi use with the Ht being the main function. I would like to be able to have football parties there with the lights on. Is that going to be possible on the fp.

·
Registered
17,711 Posts
A projector sends the light towards a screen and you see the light that bounces back. As for how important light is, there are a few things

1) not all projectors are the same, the more lumens the projector can exert the less it is important

2) Light source is important, if the front of the room (where the screen is) is bright then that is worst then having the back of the room be brighter.

3) light direction, light aimed toward the screen will fade the image more then light aimed in a different direction, spot lights will hurt the image less then a flood type of light.

in a few words, any light that will bounce of the screen will tend to fade the picture, since its brightness will be added to that of the projector.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.