AVS Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

I've looked through the similar posts and can't find the answer I'm looking for. I have Comcast Cable, do not rent a box and subsequently miss out on several channels in the 100 and above range. No big deal, everything I watch is between 2-63 and all my TVs receive those signals fine.

After 2/17 does anyone know if my analog TV set will still receive CATV channels 2-63 without a Comcast digital tuner box?
Comcast has tried to pressure me into getting a box by moving certain channels to the upper range, but they are only moving those that I don't watch anyway. I called them and of course they said absolutely I need the converter box,
but I'd need 3 of them at $15 per month rental when they already charge me for the channels I don't receive.

I don't want to rent anything from these monopolizing fascists, and will buy my own if necessary, but after reading these forums I am confused - does anyone know if I will be able to receive my basic channels after 2/17 with nothing but my analog TV and coax cable directly connected to the TV?

Thanks in advance for anyone that can help.

·
Registered
9,938 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by thelonius /forum/post/15416646

I don't want to rent anything from these monopolizing fascists, and will buy my own if necessary, but after reading these forums I am confused - does anyone know if I will be able to receive my basic channels after 2/17 with nothing but my analog TV and coax cable directly connected to the TV?

Comcast and the other cable companies would like to go all digital just like over the air TV, but so far they're holding off on doing so in most areas. It is totally up to them when they will do so, but as you've seen, they're probably going to convert most channels to digital at some point, but complete digital transition for cable is probably a few years off. The 2/17 transition does not directly affect them.

If they do go digital, then it also depends on what they encrypt. If the channels you want are digital but unencrypted, a QAM tuner will pick them up. Newer TVs tend to include these tuners (although not every TV has them), and some DVD recorders have them. A few standalone QAM tuners were/are available as well. The local network affiliates, such as your ABC, NBC, CBS, Fox, will usually stay unencrypted, as would PBS and MAYBE stuff like Discovery Channel.

If they start encrypting, that's when you get stuck renting. You would need either to rent a cable box or if you have a TV/TiVo HD with a cableCARD slot, you can rent a cheaper cableCARD to decrypt the channels. But if your channel ends up on an encrypted channel, resign yourself to renting SOMETHING.

Buying a cable box is useless if you live in the US, with very few exceptions. They would need to activate the box, and if isn't their own box, they won't do squat. So those boxes on eBay would be expensive paperweights.

At that point, your only option would be to dump the cable company for satellite or Verizon's FiOS, but they also involve boxes.

For right now, enjoy your analog channels. It'll probably be there come March 2009, but then it's up to your cable company whether it stays there.

·
Registered
23,885 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by thelonius /forum/post/15416646

After 2/17 does anyone know if my analog TV set will still receive CATV channels 2-63 without a Comcast digital tuner box?

Refer to post #2.

·
Registered
1,565 Posts
I don't want to rent anything from these monopolizing fascists, and will buy my own if necessary If you buy your own it will not work. Comcast is not a monopoly. You have a choice of OTA, Directv, and Dish also.

For the time being... you will have to do nothing as indicated by Ratman. Over time I think you will see more and more channels moved to digital. After 2/17 you will receive several analog channels.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.