AVS Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I, for the first time, am gonna calibrate a display.

Its a 2009 mitsubishi DLP.

I am going to follow this guide:
http://www.curtpalme.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=10457

I will be using a spyder2, which hopefully turns out to be one of the more accurate ones made, .. but if picture looks horrible aftewards, or if greyscale has an off color to it after calibration(to several people) then I know is a messed up meter.

Anyways, just wanted to do some experimentation.

So...

My DLP, is obviously a HDTV. I only have a DVD player hooked up to it though for playback of calibration pattern discs.

My question is, in ColorHCFR...do I use the HDTV gamut or the SD gamut?

I dont know if I choose the gamut for my TV type, no matter what the source is...or since Im using only a DVD do I use the SD gamut?

Thanks

·
Registered
3,446 Posts
My advice is to use ColorHCFR for grayscale and follow "Setting Color/Tint" from http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=852536 for color. In this case it doesn't really matter which of the settings you choose. The reason this is my recommendation is that the "delta E" line for color in ColorHCFR can be somewhat suspect if "delta xy" is very far off. The "delta luma" for red doesn't vary much regardless which setting you choose, and that's the basic recommendation for setting color from the link.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
So, your saying it doesnt really matter what gamut coordinates I pick to calibrate my TV's primary / secondary colors, whether it be the SD coordinates or HD coordinates???

That doesnt make sense to me but ok...

·
Registered
12,662 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by GenTarkin /forum/post/19617083

So, your saying it doesnt really matter what gamut coordinates I pick to calibrate my TV's primary / secondary colors, whether it be the SD coordinates or HD coordinates???

That doesnt make sense to me but ok...

Actually, it does matter but the difference is relatively small. If calibrating a 480i/p source SD is correct and if calibrating a 720p or 1080i/p source, HD is correct. Anyway, for setting color/tint you want to minimize luminance error (deltaL) for primaries and hue error (deltaH) for secondaries. ColorHCFR doesn't break error into luminance, hue, and saturation (it does show luminance error separately though) nor does it use deltaE94, so you may need to copy and paste the xyY data into a calculator/excel spreadsheet to compute the needed values.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlasmaPZ80U /forum/post/19617218

Actually, it does matter but the difference is relatively small. If calibrating a 480i/p source SD is correct and if calibrating a 720p or 1080i/p source, HD is correct. Anyway, for setting color/tint you want to minimize luminance error (deltaL) for primaries and hue error (deltaH) for secondaries. ColorHCFR doesn't break error into luminance, hue, and saturation (it does show luminance error separately though) nor does it use deltaE94, so you may need to copy and paste the xyY data into a calculator/excel spreadsheet to compute the needed values.

Alright, given that ColorHCFR doesnt directly show the deltaL and deltaH for primary and secondaries...isnt that issue simply resolved by trying to make all my primary and secondary measurements as close to the plotted coordinates for their respected color?

Cuz according to the 2nd guide posted in this thread, the distance from white a color is, is its saturation, the distance to other colors it is, is its hue...when plotted.

So, on my TV, I have the option of adjusting color, tint and individually changing all 6 colors (RGBCMY) RGB values.

So, my goal should be to get each of the 6 colors as close to the proper coordinates for given primary and secondaries...right?...

That should be doable w/ colorHCFR, just keep adjusting things till the readings get close, correct?

·
Registered
12,662 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by GenTarkin /forum/post/19617939

Alright, given that ColorHCFR doesnt directly show the deltaL and deltaH for primary and secondaries...isnt that issue simply resolved by trying to make all my primary and secondary measurements as close to the plotted coordinates for their respected color?

Cuz according to the 2nd guide posted in this thread, the distance from white a color is, is its saturation, the distance to other colors it is, is its hue...when plotted.

So, on my TV, I have the option of adjusting color, tint and individually changing all 6 colors (RGBCMY) RGB values.

So, my goal should be to get each of the 6 colors as close to the proper coordinates for given primary and secondaries...right?...

That should be doable w/ colorHCFR, just keep adjusting things till the readings get close, correct?

yes, that should work

·
Registered
195 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by PlasmaPZ80U
yes, that should work
Wait ........

To OP: I know you'll be using spyder2. I have been using spyder3 for some time to calibrate my Panny AE4000 projector. I could successfully calibrate the grayscale and gamma with reasonable performance (verified by viewing real material). But when I used it to calibrate the color gamut (i.e. try to bring the much larger CIE triangle in its "Cinema 1" picture mode back to the standard REC709 gamut), I could only achieve a decent result on-paper (see my attached HCFR file). When I used this setting to view the real content, basically it's unwatchable - too much red with sunburned skin tone. I believe my spyder3 meter is not up to speed for color calibration. For grayscale and gamma (and the master "color" control), that's fine. You should watch out for your spyder2 meter to see if it exhibits similar behaviour.

Panasonic AE4000 (Cinema 1).zip 1.279296875k . file

Attachments

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for the heads up, yeah I read about the varrying degree if innaccuracies of the spyder products, thats why I just found one on ebay for 30$, I hope it works somewhat decently.

Your paper result does look pretty good though.

I wish my TV had hue and saturation for the 6 colors, but instead of I have to deal with RGB for the 6 colors and kinda figure out what equals what hue and sat. dealing with adjusting RGB sliders lol!

Kinda a weird way to do it.

Im gonna start off w/ brightness, contrast then greyscale...and gamma controls

Then color / tint and hope my values are somewhat close to the proper points on C1E without having to go much further lol.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts