AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a sharp sv-z2000 projector that will hooked up to my Denon AVR-4806 amp via a HDMI-DVI cable.

The sharp also has a VGA connection on the back. The only reason I want a computer hooked up to my projector is so that I can surf the net on the big screen and play MP3's through my system.

1) How do I hook up my computer to the projector? On the back of my receiver there appears to be what looks like a VGA input but its labeled RS232C? Does the computer's monitor cable plug into this? Or do I need a long VGA monitor cable to plug directly into the projector? If so, I'm going to need about a 25ft VGA monitor cable.

2) Sound? How would you connect the soundcard from the computer to a receiver? I saw some kind of gizmo at Circuit City for $45 bucks.... it was some kind of cable that claims to be made for plugging a computer sound card to a receiver to play MP3's... it had some kind of magnetic shielding block around it IIRC... would you use something like this?

Thanks,

M.

·
Registered
166 Posts
1) Go direct to the projector VGA--leave that RS-232 port alone, it's not the same thing. I get my cables from Black Box, but I'm sure that others around here know where to find long VGA cables.

2) For just mp3 and sounds from the net, why not just go stereo from the PC to your receiver? Anybody around carries 1/8" stereo to dual RCA cables. You do not need anything fancy.

·
Registered
547 Posts
2) if you are going to hook the PC up to a projector and a receiver just to hear music... you may as well get a X-Mystique with DDLive so you can play movies and hear your mp3 in 5.1 if your receiver supports it...

The advice above is good too though cheaper for sure.

If your current sound card has a spdif port and your receiver has a spdif you can port 5.1 directly to the receiver and be able to watch movies in 5.1 and still use the analog inputs for your mp3 as well.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.