AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, I'm going to apologize in advance. I'm clueless when it comes to this stuff. I'm just trying to figure out a very basic setup (receiver, cable box, DVD, Reciever, VCR). I had figured it out at one time but disconnected everything, when we had some home renovations done. Thought I labeled everything correctly but I can't run the VCR or DVD. I stumbled on this site and have spent the last hour searching threads on "basic cabling", etc... but nothing looks like what I have (especially on the TV). I created a diagram that I planned on taking into my local electronics chain for assistance. But thought I'd share it here, in hopes that someone is bored and has the extra time to help. I'm just looking for someone to draw the lines, as to what goes to where and the best way to optimize (when to use HDMI etc...). If this is the wrong place to post, I apologize. I realize this is very basic and I'm in the wrong forum, I was just trying to figure it out without having to bring someone in to do it for me. If someone is willing to lend a hand, it would be much appreciated. If not, no worries. I'll hit up one of the geeks at Best Buy. Happy Holidays!

·
Registered
149 Posts
Can you check and confirm that your TV does not have digital output, I would be surprised if it did not as most but not all tv's with HDMI input have a digital output for sound.

Also your cable box and DVD player, do they only have coax digital out.

Do you plan to use your receiver for video switching?

Do you want to be able to watch cable and DVD without using your receiver?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by JChin
Another question, does the WOW cable box send video & audio via HDMI and does the Tv accept it like that? Reason I ask is the tv pic shows HDMI audio R and L.
Yes, there should've been an HDMI optical audio out that I should've added to the diagram.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Netsrac1967
Can you check and confirm that your TV does not have digital output, I would be surprised if it did not as most but not all tv's with HDMI input have a digital output for sound.

Also your cable box and DVD player, do they only have coax digital out.

Do you plan to use your receiver for video switching?

Do you want to be able to watch cable and DVD without using your receiver?
Yes, the TV does have a digital output for sound. I need to add that to the diagram. I must've missed it. It's an odd shape input jack that I haven't seen before.

I don't see a coax digital input for the DVD or cable.

I'm not sure what video switching is so I think my answer is "no" on that one.

We use the receiver (surround sound) for all programming.

Thanks guys. I appreciate your willingness to help out!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by JChin
Another question, does the WOW cable box send video & audio via HDMI and does the Tv accept it like that? Reason I ask is the tv pic shows HDMI audio R and L.
Also, you asked if the TV accepts it like that. I currently have an HDMI cable running from the #6 HDMI jack (on the TV) to the HDMI jack on the cable box, which is the way the cable provider connected it.

·
Registered
9,389 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by egglesh
Also, you asked if the TV accepts it like that. I currently have an HDMI cable running from the #6 HDMI jack (on the TV) to the HDMI jack on the cable box, which is the way the cable provider connected it.
Ok, so there is a few options but here is one with less cables.

- wall cable --> wow cable box --> HDMI --> Tv (HDMI-6)

- DVD video out --> comp cable --> Tv (HD/DVD IN 4 or 5)

- DVD audio out --> coaxial cable --> Receiver (COAX)

- VCR video & audio out --> rca cables --> Tv (VIDEO IN 1 or 2)

- Tv Digital Audio Out --> optical cable --> Receiver (OPT-2)

·
Registered
149 Posts
OK here is a quick updated diagram (sorry I am not artist) of what JChin was saying

Does your TV have any Optical (square plug) or Coax (looks like an RCA plug) sound inputs?

With this set-up, you need to change audio source on your amp when you watch a DVD.

Your VCR sound will pass-thru your optical cable, meaning it will use the same source as your cable box through your amp.

If you had a DVD with a HDMI output, then you could get rid of the Comp wires and the Coax wire, plus you would not need to change input on the receiver.

Good Luck

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Netsrac1967 /forum/post/19553143

OK here is a quick updated diagram (sorry I am not artist) of what JChin was saying

Does your TV have any Optical (square plug) or Coax (looks like an RCA plug) sound inputs?

With this set-up, you need to change audio source on your amp when you watch a DVD.

Your VCR sound will pass-thru your optical cable, meaning it will use the same source as your cable box through your amp.

If you had a DVD with a HDMI output, then you could get rid of the Comp wires and the Coax wire, plus you would not need to change input on the receiver.

Good Luck

I reconfigured per your recommendation. I have video, on the VCR, but can't get the audio.

·
Registered
149 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by egglesh /forum/post/19554240

I reconfigured per your recommendation. I have video, on the VCR, but can't get the audio.

Must mean that your tv is not passing through analog from your VCR.

So you will have to run it straight to your amp.

Do you get audio through your tv speakers?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Netsrac1967 /forum/post/19554256

Must mean that your tv is not passing through analog from your VCR.

So you will have to run it straight to your amp.

Do you get audio through your tv speakers?

Yes, I'm getting audio through the TV but not throught the amp (surround sound).

·
Registered
149 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by egglesh /forum/post/19554324

Yes, I'm getting audio through the TV but not throught the amp (surround sound).

Well you will not get true surround from your VCR as it is an analog signal.

When on cable, do you get sound?

If yes, do you leave your input on the same input on your amp when you goto your VCR?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Netsrac1967 /forum/post/19554329

Well you will not get true surround from your VCR as it is an analog signal.

When on cable, do you get sound?

If yes, do you leave your input on the same input on your amp when you goto your VCR?

Yes, I'm getting sound fine through the cable, on the surround speakers. On the VCR, I go to a different input (#1 instead of #5), which is the only way I can pick up the VCR video.

·
Registered
149 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by egglesh /forum/post/19554349

Yes, I'm getting sound fine through the cable, on the surround speakers. On the VCR, I go to a different input (#1 instead of #5), which is the only way I can pick up the VCR video.

OK you change your input on your TV, but do you also change it on your amp?

·
Registered
149 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by egglesh /forum/post/19554391

No, I leave it on 'Video 2'. However, I did try other inputs on the amp (ie. Video 1, DVD, CD, etc...)

Well it seems your tv does not pass through analog signal through optical connection. Strange, I tested on 2 of my tv's and they both feed analog through optical.

Mind you they are not Sony's.

Well your only option would be to send the L&R audio direct to your amp, unfortunatly you will only be able to hear VCR through your amp.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Can you give me the model number of your TV

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.