AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am so excited! My new reciever and speakers are still in shipping.

I am very very new to HT and I'm an older guy so please be patient.

I have been using a 20 yr old 2 ch Yamaha setup for everything so far. After reading this board for the last week(very exciting) I decided to treat my family to some new stuff. I ordered a Pioneer1015 reciever, Pioneer 588 dvd player, Athena b1's and c1, and Dayton 12 subwoofer.(entry level for most of you, but top of the line for me)

Anyways, could you guys give me a basic rundown on setup? things like crossover, large- small, equilizing, etc.? I dont need techn. explanations, just a good starting point,procedure to set up my stuff to start enjoying it.

My sons play xbox alot, and we watch movies together, and my wife loves her cd's.

Give me a good starting point to set up my reciever when it comes in and I'll write it all down. To be honest, I'm not much of a tinkerer, so thats probably where it will stay. Thanks everyone and have a great Christmas!

·
Registered
534 Posts
Welcome to home theatre. Start basic and work on the equalizing later.

After going thru the manual, hook up the speakers to receiver, put in the FM or AM antenna, then turn it on. There's an all stereo mode (7.1 stereo or such). Once the speakers are working, power it off & hook up the rest (DVD player, etc.)

A thing to know - movie surround modes have sound mostly L&R front & Center with occasional rears sound (alot depends on the movie).

After it all works & your familiar with controls, go back to manual & do the equalizing.

I tried different speaker placements for a few days to get what seemed to me best. The HT recommended set-ups are guides & you'll have to work with your room layout.

Jeff

·
Registered
6,946 Posts
All speakers small, x-over 80-100Hz, if sub has it's own built-in x-over frequency adjustment set it to the highest number. Go buy a Radio Shack sound level meter NOW so you have it when the gear arrives. Finally get AVIA or Video Essentials test disc to help with surround and TV picture calibration, but the receiver cal tones will get you started along with the RS sound level meter.....

You should be able to get very nice sound from the stuff you've picked out; well done, I'd say.

·
Registered
8,948 Posts
1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.