AVS Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
730 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am moving tomorrow to temporary quarters. I have the main cable (internet and cable TV) enter my room. I have new toys that I've never hooked up before and want to know the proper order.

The basic pieces are:

1. Onkyo NR1008 AVR (with ethernet.....but can also be used wirelessly with her home system, my BDP, etc..)

2. Sony BDP 780 (both BDP and 1108 have streaming capabilities, etc..)

3. And "old" flat screen Olevia TV with a different hook up other than today's HDMI (it's like a DVI? or something like that that I'll need an adapter for, adn I'm also aware I can use traditional RCA connections for the time being)

4. My HP Media PC with Ethernet & Coax outputs.

5. Only 2 speakers will be sued right now. Maybe a ctr added if I have room (lol, I own 3, but life ain't always fair).

So my question is the order. I'm guessing that I split her modem line at the entrance....take a line straight into my AVR 1008....as well as the BDP goes into the AVR 1008...and then my TV goes into the AVR. IOW, everything goes into the AVR...and all will be seen when using the TV. And also, that I can then wirelessly use my PC (even though I might be able to run a long enough ethernet cable direct between PC and AVR)

In essence; just steel one line off the splitter to go to my AVR and then let the other go on as she has it hooked up for her home? Is it this easy? I know old day hook ups were slightly different in order of connection, but these new wireless capable ones are different. I want to be able to mainly stream my PC music library to my system.

This will be eventually a monster system that I have all the components for, but for now, it will be used with only 2 tower speakers (very cramped quarters
). I may have the audacity to add a center ch speaker, but...

Any help in order confirmation much appreciated.

·
Registered
23,239 Posts
1) main cable feed (coax) at entrance to premises, to two-way coax splitter.

2) one coax feed to cable box, one coax feed to the cable modem.

3) connect cable box to AVR video input using HDMI or component.

4) connect ethernet output from modem to router WAN input (yes, you will need a router)

5) run ethernet cables to desired devices from the router switch ports to each component

Unless your AVR has a TV tuner, there's no need to run a coax to it.

·
Banned
18,829 Posts
The splitter and such for the cable should be provided by the cable company at no cost to you. These have return channel and need to be the type supplied by them or else, you will have issues and cable company will give you grief.

·
Registered
730 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ratman /forum/post/20801398

1) main cable feed (coax) at entrance to premises, to two-way coax splitter.

2) one coax feed to cable box, one coax feed to the cable modem.

3) connect cable box to AVR video input using HDMI or component.

4) connect ethernet output from modem to router WAN input (yes, you will need a router)

5) run ethernet cables to desired devices from the router switch ports to each component

Unless your AVR has a TV tuner, there's no need to run a coax to it.

She already has a wireless router that is in this same room w/modem.

I will have to figure it out, and if all else fails....I will have to ask my oldest son to come do it for me.

Thanks Ratman. As you were previously aware of my situation, the moment has come. I'm unplugging my PC now and will let you know how it turns out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by amirm /forum/post/20802112

The splitter and such for the cable should be provided by the cable company at no cost to you. These have return channel and need to be the type supplied by them or else, you will have issues and cable company will give you grief.

Thanks amirm, that's a good point. I just won't have time to wait for the sorry-ass company that she uses. No joke, it would take them weeks to come out to supply such. However, she is stuck with this company because of location.

Talks soon

·
Registered
23,239 Posts
If the residence has cable internet and TV, a splitter is already in place.

Be that as it may, most (if not all) any 5MHz-1GHz splitter, is bi-directional.

·
Registered
730 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ratman /forum/post/20802276

If the residence has cable internet and TV, a splitter is already in place.

Be that as it may, most (if not all) any 5MHz-1GHz splitter, is bi-directional.

I'm here...and I've got cable and internet. You have no idea what I'm dealing with....but it's a human issue. I am thankful I have cx with the outside world right now...as I type standing up
. I will ask for and NEED your help down the road. Thanks so much for your help to date. My life has fallen apart...as I already knew it would...and it makes it hard to even think of basic things. Nobody, please don't ask.....I'll be back to my cantankerous self soon enough

·
Registered
730 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ratman /forum/post/20803918

DVI & HDMI are the same "video", but no audio with DVI. Here is an "adapter".
http://www.amazon.com/HDMI-Adapter-P.../dp/B000FUVNX8

An adapter converts one physical interface to another.

Damn it, I recall reading this info before. Bottom line: when I'm not so frazzled, I'll figure it all out. I'm thankful for the replies, fellas. Life just got troubling for me, and I was looking for immediate "help me NOW!" replies. You all arose to the occasion, and I am grateful to each of you. I'm actually just thankful at the moment to have internet service, and love that firefox's T-bird allows me email service from another provider...as if nothing changed. This alone is comforting at the moment.

I'll be back for more detailed info when I have a clue as to what I more specifically need to know. One thing seems apparent; this Onkyo 1008 appears to be an impressively built machine. I will explore it down the road....

Thank you all, very much. Your help means more than you know.

·
Registered
730 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ratman /forum/post/20803918

DVI & HDMI are the same "video", but no audio with DVI. Here is an "adapter".
http://www.amazon.com/HDMI-Adapter-P.../dp/B000FUVNX8

An adapter converts one physical interface to another.

I am actually starting to feel...oh...about 30% normal (
). Thanks for that link, and I did know of such. For that price, I might buy it as a temp gap until I can afford to buy the TV I want. Without a optical...let alone HDMI...I can't even seem to figure out how to get my older flat screen connected properly to the Onkyo to use GUI/OSI....
. I haven't found the right output on the 1008 to go to the TV to do this.

Here's my current deal: I have my BDP connected via HDMI to my NR1008....and my PC connected to my both, ethernet and S/PDIF. I haven't spent much time reading (but HAVE tried!) and can't see how the hell I can stream info from PC to new AVR (and vice versa). IOW, I'm actually getting sound fron my PC to AVR via S/PDIF...just like I used to have it previously. What am I missing? My PC only sees 3 options; internal spkrs, S/Pdif, and headphones. Do I have to somehow let it know that the ethernet port is being used.....or is that the Onkyo side? OH, and keep in mind that my BDP also supports ethernet and PC updates/streaming etc....

I'm sorry for the babbling...and I know that ultimately, I should be using the AVR forum. I'm just more familiar with a few folks here...and I'm NOT in my element. LOL, I am typing standing up
. Any info you share will be gleaned as best as possible. None of this is paramount ATM, but it's keeping my mind occupied and this is a good thing
(Ratman understands...and my hat is off for being so stand-up. It's harder than I ever imagined
).

·
Registered
23,239 Posts
My first suggestion? Get a chair.

Secondly, you need to separate in your head that A/V connections (HDMI, S/PDIF, etc) have nothing to do with "streaming". That's all via the ethernet (networking).

So... if connectivity/streaming features do not work as anticipated, let's try to work through your issues one device at a time.

Questions:

1) Are all devices hardwired to a router?

2) Has the router recognized each device and administered IP addresses and DNS addresses?

3) Are any "apps" required for either the BDP or AVR to be loaded/enabled on the PC?

4) What are you trying to "stream"? (Netflix, Pandora, Hulu, file shares on the PC, etc.)

I highly suggest you find a source for a "roll your own" and take the edge off.

·
Registered
730 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ratman /forum/post/20809692

If you only knew...and no, it's not quite that easy.

Quote:

Secondly, you need to separate in your head that A/V connections (HDMI, S/PDIF, etc) have nothing to do with "streaming". That's all via the ethernet (networking).

So... if connectivity/streaming features do not work as anticipated, let's try to work through your issues one device at a time.

Questions:

2) Has the router recognized each device and administered IP addresses and DNS addresses?

3) Are any "apps" required for either the BDP or AVR to be loaded/enabled on the PC?

4) What are you trying to "stream"? (Netflix, Pandora, Hulu, file shares on the PC, etc.)

I will be at the mercy of my oldest son...and I'm afraid, just recently astranged. It is what it is...am I suck at modern tech. There it is....and old audiophile, but can't figure out today's modern BS. I will stop here. I will come across some semblance (when I have REAL time) of the manula

s explanation, or I will come back at a more appropriate time.

Thanks again

·
Registered
730 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

Quote:

If you only knew...and no, it's not quite that easy.

Quote:

Questions:

I will be at the mercy of my oldest son...and I'm afraid, just recently astranged. It is what it is...am I suck at modern tech. There it is....and old audiophile, but can't figure out today's modern BS. I will stop here. I will come across some semblance (when I have REAL time) of the manula

s explanation, or I will come back at a more appropriate time. Also, I have only one ethernet out of my PC...and one (each) into PC OR BDP. Which do I choose?

Thanks again

·
Registered
23,239 Posts
Connect 'em all to the router. You only need one ethernet cable for each. The router does the rest from a "networking" perspective.

The rest of the "features" depends on the peripherals (BRP, AVR, etc.).

Hopefully #1 son has some "internet/networking savvy".

I'd be glad to stop by to help you out, but it's too long of a drive from N.J.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.