AVS Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, all:

My first post. Fairly new at this so pls bear with me.

Current setup: samsung plasma Tv 50" circa 2009 with 3 HDMI slots that I believe are 1.0 (non-arc); Receiver is a 10 year old panasonic no HDMI; a samsung bluray player with 1 HDMI port and a roku 3 with 1 HDMI port. My tv and bluray are hooked to the receiver via optical digital cables. The bluray and roku are hooked to the TV via hdmi. I set the receiver at either TV (for the TV or roku) and DVD for the bluray.

I am purchasing a sony str dh750. I am new to receivers with HDMI. Considering the above---how do I set this thing up? Do all components go into the receiver via hdmi? How about the digital audio hookups?

thx for any help

·
Registered
234 Posts
Hi, all:

Current setup: samsung plasma Tv 50" circa 2009 with 3 HDMI slots that I believe are 1.0 (non-arc); Receiver is a 10 year old panasonic no HDMI; a samsung bluray player with 1 HDMI port and a roku 3 with 1 HDMI port. My tv and bluray are hooked to the receiver via optical digital cables. The bluray and roku are hooked to the TV via hdmi. I set the receiver at either TV (for the TV or roku) and DVD for the bluray.

I am purchasing a sony str dh750. I am new to receivers with HDMI. Considering the above---how do I set this thing up? Do all components go into the receiver via hdmi? How about the digital audio hookups?

thx for any help
It all gets connected via HDMI, with the receiver in the middle. Connections will look something like this:
Cable box=>HDMI=>receiver=>HDMI=>TV
Roku=>HDMI=>receiver=>HDMI=>TV
Blu-Ray=>HDMI=>receiver=>HDMI=>TV

And you'll need only one cable between the receiver and the TV. Perhaps you know this but HDMI carries audio as well as video. The only optic cable you may need is between the TV and the receiver. I'm not certain why but it seems to be necessary. Those with more knowledge about it than I have will be able to explain that.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It all gets connected via HDMI, with the receiver in the middle. Connections will look something like this:
Cable box=>HDMI=>receiver=>HDMI=>TV
Roku=>HDMI=>receiver=>HDMI=>TV
Blu-Ray=>HDMI=>receiver=>HDMI=>TV

And you'll need only one cable between the receiver and the TV. Perhaps you know this but HDMI carries audio as well as video. The only optic cable you may need is between the TV and the receiver. I'm not certain why but it seems to be necessary. Those with more knowledge about it than I have will be able to explain that.
so i need 6 HDMI cables??

·
Registered
3,452 Posts
Hi, all:

thx for any help
Assuming you have a cable box or satellite box:

Cable/Satellite HDMI OUT => STR-DH750 SAT/CATV HDMI IN
Roku 3 HDMI OUT => STR-DH750 GAME HDMI IN
Samsung Blu-ray/DVD => STR-DH750 BD/DVD HDMI IN
STR-DH750 HDMI OUT => Samsung TV HDMI IN

4 HDMI cables required: 3 from devices to receiver, 1 from receiver to TV
No other cable needed

Attachments

·
Registered
14,848 Posts
An S/PDIF (optical or coax) audio cable running from the TV to the receiver is needed only if you use the TV's "smart" network apps and ARC (Audio Return Channel) doesn't work. ARC is the method used to get audio back from the TV to the receiver over the same HDMI cable that's used to get video from the receiver to the TV. Unfortunately, sometimes ARC simply doesn't work right and causes more problems than it solves.

Edited to add:

Be sure to get HDMI cables which are Certified High Speed. The alternative, Certified Standard Speed, don't work reliably if you want to watch high definition video. You don't need to pay for "boutique" brands like Monster, though. Inexpensive High Speed cables are readily available. Many people here like to buy them from Monoprice. Some HDMI cables include Ethernet support. It's irrelevant. No current equipment uses it at all, so don't pay extra for it.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
All responses are appreciated.

Since this is my first receiver with HDMI inputs---it seems funny that the bluray and roku go into the receiver via HDMI and not into the TV. My present setup with a 10 year old panasonic has the bluray and roku into the TV and the Bluray and Tv into the receiver with only digital audio cables. But I will certainly follow your instructions and just get used to the new hookup methods.

Since my TV is over 5 years old and does not support ARC---I will also have a digital audio cable into the receiver from TV. Does the Bluray require this or only an HDMI?

thx again and peace

·
Registered
14,848 Posts
All responses are appreciated.

Since this is my first receiver with HDMI inputs---it seems funny that the bluray and roku go into the receiver via HDMI and not into the TV. My present setup with a 10 year old panasonic has the bluray and roku into the TV and the Bluray and Tv into the receiver with only digital audio cables. But I will certainly follow your instructions and just get used to the new hookup methods.

Since my TV is over 5 years old and does not support ARC---I will also have a digital audio cable into the receiver from TV. Does the Bluray require this or only an HDMI?
HDMI is used to transport both high resolution video and high resolution audio, so just the one HDMI cable is needed to get both sound and video from the Blu-ray player to the receiver. HDMI connections can carry higher quality audio than S/PDIF connections can.

Some people like to run a second audio connection from the Blu-ray player to the receiver so they can treat the Blu-ray player as if it were two separate video and CD players with separate settings in the receiver. It certainly isn't necessary to do that, though.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
HDMI is used to transport both high resolution video and high resolution audio, so just the one HDMI cable is needed to get both sound and video from the Blu-ray player to the receiver. HDMI connections can carry higher quality audio than S/PDIF connections can.

Some people like to run a second audio connection from the Blu-ray player to the receiver so they can treat the Blu-ray player as if it were two separate video and CD players with separate settings in the receiver. It certainly isn't necessary to do that, though.
Thx again my friend

1 - 8 of 8 Posts