AVS Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, been a long time lurker but this is my first time posting.

This is going to be my first (very basic) home theatre project. Originally I wanted to go with a TV, but the prices for sizes over 80" got too out of hand for me so I decided on going the projector route. I've looked around online for a couple of days now so I think I've learned projector basics, however I'm sure there's a ton I still don't know.

Details of the project:

Lengths

Room Length = 20'

Room Wide = 12'

Room Height = 8' (vaulted ceiling to 12' in the middle)

Throw = ~18' (mounted above seating area at the back of the room)

Viewing distance = 15-20'

Screen size = 120" diag

Room Conditions

Colour = Grey (light) walls, white roof, beige carpet

Lighting = Two large windows on the side of the room, looking at installing blackout shades, dimmable lights

Price Range

$1000-$3000

Use

The main purpose would be to first: watch movies/TV shows with the Mrs, and second: to watch the game with my buddies. I'll probably occasionally watch regular TV but that will mostly be done on the family room TV. When watching movies we'll definitely have the shades drawn and all lights turned off. When watching the game I'd like to have at least some light in the room. Obviously picture quality will diminish but I don't think that will matter as much to us, as long as the picture is bright enough to see clearly from 15-20'.

Understanding that the room conditions aren't ideal (long throw length, light coloured walls/roof/carpet) it'd be nice to understand how much more I will benefit with a more expensive PJ? I did a quick search on projector central: http://www.projectorcentral.com/projectors.cfm?g=1&hide=0&st=1&mfg=&p=300&p=3000&w=&r=13&br=&ll=&ltg=&t=&db=&dt=&c=&ar=&dvi=&wr=&pjl=&pjw=&pjh=&td=18&i=d&is=160&sort=pop&sz=15 (I used a screen size of 160" diag and assumed I could zoom to a 120" screen, is that correct?) and a range of projectors came up. I'd like to know if there will be a considerable difference from the ~$1000-$1500 priced PJs (e.g. HD25-LV, 8350) to the more expensive $2500 priced ones (e.g. 5030UB, AE8000) with the conditions specified? If so what would the major differences be? I'm no videophile (is that a word?) so if the difference isn't very drastic I'd probably opt for a lower priced model. Also any advice on the setup would be appreciated! Thanks in advance.

BM

·
Registered
6,971 Posts
Your search results returned with a 160" diagonal, not a 120" diagonal. I see the image diagonal as a big issue with your throw distance and lack of flexibility due to the room design.

Using newer projectors (3D models) and a 120" diagonal, your list is significantly different:

http://www.projectorcentral.com/projectors.cfm?g=1&hide=0&st=1&mfg=&p=300&p=3000&w=&r=13&br=&ll=&ltg=&t=&db=&dt=&c=&ar=&dvi=&wr=&sp=35&pjl=&pjw=&pjh=&td=18&i=d&is=120&sort=pop&sz=15

If you have zero interest in 3D, then the Panasonic AR100 or the Epson 8350/8345 are both very flexible projectors which I would strongly consider and recommend.

If you want 3D, then there are some cheaper options, that come from lower tier manufacturers. The image will be fine, but long term reliability may be terrible. Still, considering the price jump to a model like the BenQ W7500 it may make more sense to go with a cheaper model for your first outing. Always be aware of the lens offset with any fixed lens projector!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks AV_I. You're right the search diagonal was wrong as the tool already takes zoom into account. Not a big fan of 3D and after looking some more it looks like I'll be choosing between the AR100 and 8350 like you mentioned.

I've read through some of the threads comparing both and it seems like it really comes down to ambient light use (AR100) vs. dark room use (8350). Since I will have a longer throw and regular use with ambient lighting for sports I'm leaning towards the Panny.

Going to keep researching and the decision might also pend on the best deal I can find on either up here in Canada...

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I briefly thought about the idea but there's a chandelier type light that hangs down from the middle of the vaulted ceiling to the 8ft mark, so I'm guessing I would have to buy a mount that hangs down a couple feet and can handle the vault angle. Was really looking for the simplest installation really (shelf on back wall).

Do you think there will be a significant benefit (picture clarity, brightness) by dropping the throw length by a couple of feet?

·
Registered
6,971 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bren.mah  /t/1524623/basic-ht-project-more-expensive-pj-worth-it#post_24549741

Do you think there will be a significant benefit (picture clarity, brightness) by dropping the throw length by a couple of feet?

No.

You put a projector where it must go, but image quality should remain the same, or similar for most of the 1080p models. Some projectors are better than others, but this has nothing to do with distance or height, it has to do with the actual quality of the projector and the optics in use.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts